• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    fender57
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
    Well look....aside from Myers, who on this club (or among those that have been traded) did you want to build around? I agree that at some point you have to retain some guys but these characters weren't the ones to do it. In the case of Upton, I'm not sure his value would ever be this high again. Frankly, I'm disappointed they didn't get more considering his productivity and how much cash we ate.

If you wanted to make the case for buy and hold, it might have been before last year. But management directed Preller to make a splash.
    You're arguing minutiae and I'm looking at big picture. I guess if I had to answer your question I'd want to build the team around, first and foremost, an owner that a) actually cared and b) knew what the fuck they were doing.

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
      You're arguing minutiae and I'm looking at big picture. I guess if I had to answer your question I'd want to build the team around, first and foremost, an owner that a) actually cared and b) knew what the fuck they were doing.
      You're responding to a specific situation and drawing a larger conclusion. It's not arguing minutiae to deal with the present as it relates to your larger conclusion (which I partially dealt with in another post). I agree with you on the big picture but it does't really accomplish anything since we have who we have and it's not changing. Unfortunately, SD has always been plagued by bad ownership wrt pro sports.

That said, I think the owners knew that they needed to make some big moves to become relevant again. Preller executed the plan and other than the failure to cobble together a winning ball club last year doesn't mean he didn't have a (big picture) plan; i.e. know what he was doing. None of the new guys brought in were expected to remain in SD long-term except Myers if he got his career back on track. It seemed to me (and I wrote this at the time) that the hope was to try to win last year but if it didn't pan out have enough player value either left (ex. Shields) or restored (exs. Kemp and Upton) to bring rich returns in prospects. That's largely happened, with the exception of Kemp and perhaps Shields. It's hard to know what the young guys will eventually become (as I have also repeatedly discussed), but suddenly the Padres are flush with low-minors and international talent. The owners did not stop spending, they reallocated the spending. So while we can all bemoan the failure of last year, I believe that the Pads are executing the change in course that was Plan B. Myers is delivering so far and building around him makes sense. There are some other building blocks at the ML level, but they need to get healthy. The position of Keith Law or others is directional but neither final nor fact. Netting it out big picture for you...maybe the ownership isn't that stupid.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Yay prospects!!

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

The NFL and MLB are apples and oranges. The NFL has a structure that promotes parity, so the chances of success are greater. As fucked up as Spanos is, they still stumbled into the playoffs in 2013.

MLB is not forgiving. There are haves and have nots. So you have to be smarter to survive against franchises like the Yankees and Dodgers.

How come teams like the Giants and Royals can win but not the Padres? Why do Florida and Arizona already have rings? The Padres perennially step on their own dicks. Why was it necessary to chase Bruce Bochy away? When they provided him players he won. Their ownership hires jerkoffs like Sandy Alderson, who in a gigantic ego fueled pissing contest neutered Towers and tried to do the same to Bochy who flipped him the bird and went and got three rings in Frisco. And this isn't just limited to recent history, we've had to endure Chub Feeney, Tom Werner, C. Arnholdt Smith, on and on and Dee and Preller are just carrying the tradition that I'm sick of.
          I don't know anything about the Royals. The Giants, I think, until just within the past two years, spend more money than we do. They aren't as big-time as, say, the Yankees or Smell-A, but they aren't us either.

I see our new ownership as, at the very least, having some sort of desire to win and to win in San Diego. That is not something I've seen since the Krocs. Whether the Pads ever win shit, I don't know. But at least I have hope that it might happen some day. So, if we're trading away decent sort-of old players for potentially good players who might have at least give us an outside shot at winning a future World Series before we trade them away, I can, at least, dream.

As much as I like the Padres, my connection with them pales in comparison to my addiction to the Chargers. And the Chargers' time as my team seems pretty fucking short because some dipshit wants to move them to the City of Shit-gels. We need to win the Super Bowl yesterday, so anything from Chargers management that even smells like a lack of desire to win now is going to send me further down the hole of sports despair.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2016, 06:33 PM.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by B.V.W.S.B.GM View Post
            I don't know anything about the Royals. The Giants, I think, until just within the past two years, spend more money than we do. They aren't as big-time as, say, the Yankees or Smell-A, but they aren't us either.

I see our new ownership as, at the very least, having some sort of desire to win, and to win in San Diego. That is not something I've seen since the Krocs. Whether the Pads ever win shit, I don't know. But at least I have hope that it might happen - if not now, then in the future. So, if we're trading away decent sort-of old players for potentially good players who might have at least an outside shot at winning a World Series for us in the future before we trade them away, I can, at least, dream.

As much as I like the Padres, my connection with them pales in comparison to my addiction to the Chargers. And the Chargers' time as my team seems pretty fucking short because some dipshit wants to move them to the City of Shit-gels. We need to win the Super Bowl yesterday, so anything from Chargers management that even smells like a lack of desire to win now is going to send me further down the hole of sports despair.
            The only time since 1998 that the Padres and Giants have been at parity were in '98 and '99. Since then, SF has outspent us on average by nearly double every year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Getting prospects is nice but all the prospects we keep getting are in rookie league ball or a single A. Would be nice to get some triple A players. Those younger guys may never make it to the big leagues.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                The only time since 1998 that the Padres and Giants have been at parity were in '98 and '99. Since then, SF has outspent us on average by nearly double every year.
                Fuck. You quoted a paragraph I forgot to edit. It looked like a pre-schooler wrote it by gripping some pink crayons, drool, and finger paint. Next time, correct my grammar, dude.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Getting prospects is nice but all the prospects we keep getting are in rookie league ball or a single A. Would be nice to get some triple A players. Those younger guys may never make it to the big leagues.
                  Agree 100%. But we're also not trading Will Myers. We're trading spare parts.

Comment

Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Going for 26 straight with HR tonight. How can a team that has been shut out so much and K'd so much now been able to put on an all-time streak like this in the same year? Pads never cease to amaze, except when it comes to winning.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

We should put our biggest boppers at the front of the order tonight so they get the most at-bats. This season isn't about winning right now - it's about doing something cool. Go deep.

And, if we're up 5 in the 9th with no home runs, our bullpen will do its part by giving up 5.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I can't believe two of our biggest boppers right now is Dickerson and Schimpf.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

I can't believe two of our biggest boppers right now is Dickerson and Schimpf.
                          It'll be cool if we end up with a superstar named Schimpf.
                          Nothing against Dickerson, but there have been star Dickersons before. Schimpf is a name I never imagined seeing in lights.
                          One cool thing about Dickerson is that he's from Poway.
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2016, 04:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X