Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

If it's close then yes...if it aint even close he will be gone. Why would a player stick around that doesn't feel luved anymore?!?!?! Would you stick around for $8 mil when another team is offering $15 mil year plus $30 mil guaranteed?!?!?!
    Probably he will leave if it isn't close.

I don't disagree, but in the end, he has to remember that a big contract from another team doesn't mean you will see all of it. Most over 30 guys who go to bad teams have to be careful to get the money up front, or they don't see the end of the contract, and for most of them it is the end of their days in football.

If someone wants to offer him $15 mill and $30 mill guaranteed, there is nothing we can do about it. I don't think you ever get into bidding wars over players. Make the offer you are going to make, and put it out there. If other teams want to play those games, let them. It is NEVER about 1 guy, no matter who it is. The chargers need to do what they need to do, and that is both making the right offers and for the right amount of money.

But there are plenty of teams who have lost players who they would have liked to have had, just because they moved on and never made an offer to a guy. Just make a FAIR offer for what we think he is worth and let the chips fall. The mistake isn't in signing players who are older, it is signing them to contracts that pay them like they are younger. Give them the Brad Pitt Moneyball Role Model speech.

You aren't going to win them all, but you will win some.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

I think this is probably his last year here. He was ok, never the mid-1st but better than anyone else on the team until Joey came along. Hardly their worst pick but he’ll want some money and i don’t think he’ll be worth that much. Joey needs to be resigned, and its unlikely they want to double that investment in a guy on his way down.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
      X