How Will The Offense Change This Season With Tyrod Taylor?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

My guess is that he is close to 200 here in this pic. Which is light for him. He has prepared his body for a mobile role imo. I think they will run him alot and not blink twice.

104605125_919228905171699_1301431334480759592_n.jpg

Comment

• Steve
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • South Carolina
      • Meteorologist
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The only point I disagree with is the distinction between what we will do and what we did. I'd like to think that Gus will dial up more aggression this year. He should be able to use what he knows best with the talent he has available, tweak the calls to turn our beasts loose. We have some exceptional players. Ask them to do what they do best. Let the decent to good guys fill the gaps.
      1). Going back as I can track Gus, he has not been a blitzer. He coached the classic tampa 2 D as a position coach in Tampa, and then as a coordinator in Seattle before Pete Carroll got hired. Then he made the transition to the Seattle/49ers elephant D that we use now, and as far as I can tell, no one has ever been a big blitzing team in our current scheme, going back to the 1980's.

2). More importantly, I don't think our secondary fits a more attacking style. They are not bump and run zone or dump and run man coverage guys.

Harris has had some success in it, but is really better off not having to press guys, which is why he is so much better in the slot that outside.

Hayward was a very average press CB in GB, where they tried to force him to be a bump man guy. Then as soon as we allowed him to play off coverage (off man or zone) he excelled, and turned into an outstanding CB for us. Bump and run is just not his thing.

King is much better being hidden in zones, where his lack of deep speed can be hidden some, plus I don't think he can consistently match up athletically outside if he has to jam and then run with big athletic guys at outside WR. He can cover those guys, but you have to play to his strength, which has been in the slot or stacked behind the line.

Michael Davis is the only guy who has the size and speed to potentially be a guy who can get up near a big WR, press him up and down the field. We have never used him that way, because that isn't who the rest of the secondary is.

DJ is the one guy who would be an excellent press coverage CB. Lacks the elite speed to stay with the top speed guys, but is big, physical and can jam those guys. But it would tie him down to a single spot/assignment, so that kinda defeats the purpose, IMHO. He is too good a SS to waste playing CB. He is our matchup guy, taking away what the other team wants to do.

If you want to make your coverage guys aggressive to attack the ball in the air, you need to give them help, so that they can count on help and they can pick their spots to go after the ball. Or, if you are going to press, then they can be aggressive because you know that the rush will get there. But if the defenders play off, they have to close in a hurry and give the offensive player a chance to make a move, and the blitzers wear down rushing over and over again.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        My guess is that he is close to 200 here in this pic. Which is light for him. He has prepared his body for a mobile role imo. I think they will run him alot and not blink twice.

104605125_919228905171699_1301431334480759592_n.jpg
        Vegan mac n cheese.
        Resistance training.
        He's just too quick and elusive now.
        Sky's the limit.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

1). Going back as I can track Gus, he has not been a blitzer. He coached the classic tampa 2 D as a position coach in Tampa, and then as a coordinator in Seattle before Pete Carroll got hired. Then he made the transition to the Seattle/49ers elephant D that we use now, and as far as I can tell, no one has ever been a big blitzing team in our current scheme, going back to the 1980's.

2). More importantly, I don't think our secondary fits a more attacking style. They are not bump and run zone or dump and run man coverage guys.

Harris has had some success in it, but is really better off not having to press guys, which is why he is so much better in the slot that outside.

Hayward was a very average press CB in GB, where they tried to force him to be a bump man guy. Then as soon as we allowed him to play off coverage (off man or zone) he excelled, and turned into an outstanding CB for us. Bump and run is just not his thing.

King is much better being hidden in zones, where his lack of deep speed can be hidden some, plus I don't think he can consistently match up athletically outside if he has to jam and then run with big athletic guys at outside WR. He can cover those guys, but you have to play to his strength, which has been in the slot or stacked behind the line.

Michael Davis is the only guy who has the size and speed to potentially be a guy who can get up near a big WR, press him up and down the field. We have never used him that way, because that isn't who the rest of the secondary is.

DJ is the one guy who would be an excellent press coverage CB. Lacks the elite speed to stay with the top speed guys, but is big, physical and can jam those guys. But it would tie him down to a single spot/assignment, so that kinda defeats the purpose, IMHO. He is too good a SS to waste playing CB. He is our matchup guy, taking away what the other team wants to do.

If you want to make your coverage guys aggressive to attack the ball in the air, you need to give them help, so that they can count on help and they can pick their spots to go after the ball. Or, if you are going to press, then they can be aggressive because you know that the rush will get there. But if the defenders play off, they have to close in a hurry and give the offensive player a chance to make a move, and the blitzers wear down rushing over and over again.
          Would gusD be more inclined to blitz with Nasir and Chris Harris in there now ?

Our coverages can now be more varied and disguised, it would seem.

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

I hope Nas can go ball out. his rookie year was a huge waste. guy has ball skills and seemed awesome in that preseason game. GREAT closing speed.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Better not to use Adderley on that safety blitz. Don't want him to get hurt...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Better not to use Adderley on that safety blitz. Don't want him to get hurt...
                Nasir would mostly be in coverage at Single High or Corner.

His range would give us room to blitz others.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

TT was fortunate to be game managing over a Buffalo squad stacked with future HOFers. Oh, wait ... Never mind.

A few draw runs once in awhile, some scripted roll outs, moving the pocket ... a lot depends on how well the OL gels. if the OL is any good, he can mainly sit in a pocket and given time, he’s a decent passer. He’ll start throwing it away (non-mistake) a lot if he’s pressured. Yeah, as with every year, a lot depends on the OL.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Who was that otherwise mediocre LB that batted down the Steeler pass at the goal line to get us to the SB? Can’t remember his name, don’t care enough to search. Humphries is forever the man simply for getting us to the big game but that wasn’t a very good team. Not close to the best charger squad ever - there were much better teams in the early 80s and the ‘00s. Early 60’s too i guess though i was too young to know it.

Rivers never got it done. He had a LOT of chances. Career rating ~95, PO rating ~85. Too often he took a step back, not forward. Its easy to point to a single game he was great in, but the full body of work = more of a choke than hero. Great Charger, time to move on.

The way I look at it - if TT sucks balls, we see Herbert sooner. if we don’t see Herbert, we’re winning.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                      San Diego Native
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Farmington, NM
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                      Who was that otherwise mediocre LB that batted down the Steeler pass at the goal line to get us to the SB?
                      Dennis Gibson.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by FarAwayBoltFan View Post

Dennis Gibson.
                        Thats him. Good, strong, very slow.

Comment

• Steve
                          Administrator
                          • Jun 2013
                          • South Carolina
                          • Meteorologist
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

You would have to ask Gus about how much he intends to blitz.

Like I said, if you track teams who play similar schemes or the same scheme as us, dating back to the 1980's, they tend not to blitz, even though they like to rush 4 and can get decent pressure with those 4. It doesn't mean he can't, it just means he is not likely to. But every season is different, so who REALLY knows.

We aren't sure where he is going to play, but Adderley was used as a zone CB at Delaware, before being moved to FS his (junior and?) senior year(s). He has above average speed for a college DB, but is not what you would think of as ideal (elite) speed at CB, or extensive man coverage experience. If he was an ideal fit as a man CB, he would have been a 1st round draft pick.

Traditionally, the best zone teams tend to be more vanilla in their coverages. They stick to a few coverages and then make their players really focus on how offenses like to attack those zones so that everyone can react quickly when they see the various offensive tactics on the field. Then they jump on the ball as the receivers come out of their breaks.

2 years ago, when Derwin was a rookie, we stuck to a ton of what I like to call cover 6. It is a DJ in man to man coverage on the #2 (counting outside in) receiver to his side, and the CB backed off in loose man. The other side of the formation is mostly just a half of a traditional cover 3 (3 deep, 4 under) zone coverage. If the player he was covering blocked, he would fly in off the edge, and if they went 3 receivers to the other side, he was free to rush off the edge. Most of the other coverages we used DJ as either a straight cover 3 SS, 2nd deep S or had him play FS in place of Addai who came up and played in the box. But maybe 75% of the time, we played cover 6.

Since DJ does so much, how will we continue to use him. Last year, DJ got used in some cover 6 and cover 4 looks and that was about it. But we had some injuries and our pass rush wasn't very good. So, will we stick with the cover 6 thing or will we find new and interesting ways to move DJ around to gain mismatches? You would have to ask Gus. The Cover 6 secondary does a pretty good job of moving DJ into position to get great matchups, and allows a lot of the other guys to simplify their reads, so that everyone is in a pretty good position to make plays. But, DJ is about the best defender in the NFL in terms of being a jack of all trades player, so maybe Gus can move him around play by play and improve on what the cover 6 started.

Comment

Working...
                          X