• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post

I'll believe it when I see it. I am not a big fan of Bradley, I think his defense is a bit antiquated. I think we have the talent to do it, I wish we had a better DC. I'd love to have someone like Wade Phillips have a crack at this talent.
    Wade needs a dominant 3-4 NT.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

?? The goal is to approve the atrocious turnover ratio.
      That can only be done by creating more heat on QBs,
      as gusD announced in May.
      Heck I'll approve the other guys turnovers.

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

The thing that makes me laugh is any time the Chargers win a close game it’s because they got “lucky” but anytime they lose a close game it’s because they stink. Ok he other team never gets lucky. When the Chargers miss FGs it’s because they stink when other teams miss FGs it’s because the Chargers just got lucky but they did not deserve to win. It’s like years ago when they played the Colts in SD on Monday night. The Colts returned a punt and a kickoff for a TD and I heard a guy saying the Chargers got lucky because you can’t let that happen and expect to win. I asked so do you go on the road and throw 6 ints and expect to win then? The Chargers got lucky LOL

When the Chargers every now and then get the benefit of a bad call they just got lucky and never should have won the game but when all too often they get hosed on a call they stink because they should have never let themselves get in a position that a bad call could cost them the game. The Chargers could go 16-0 next season and win the SB with every game being determined in their favor by a bad call and they would still not be even on the bad call ledger.
        Last edited by FoutsFan; 07-18-2020, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Mebane played @ 35 snaps, not sure how many runs he stuffed, which is what I referred to but not close to 30. Defense plays @ 70 snaps. Less if they're doing well. Linval should be fine with @ 40 snaps or more if needed. Give him fewer reps, kids more when the game is in the bag.
          Square is reliable on a limited basis and knows what he's doing. Don't leave him out there but he can make plays in a rotation.
          Jones & Broughton are meat & potatoes depth. Big, young DTs with some apparent potential.
          Tillery is cast in the 3T pass rush role and looks the part, needs to step up now that he's had a healthy offseason. Not as worried about his run D now that we have some LBs & SS.
          Gus & Giff absolutely need a good plan for them. Training & game reps. We'll need the vet experience without wearing them out. The youngsters need reps. Ten days 'till camp.
          I thought justin jones was really coming along near the end of his first season; then the weight loss, the preseason hype and eventually disappearing during the regular season.
          He gained quickness, lost power and couldn't use the same techniques?

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Gus needs to blitz more, especially on those 3rd downs...not saying it has to be EVERY third down, but for crying out loud, need to mix it up at least SOMETIMES...and don't even get me started on the "Bradley Non-Fighting Vehicle Picket Fence"...

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I thought justin jones was really coming along near the end of his first season; then the weight loss, the preseason hype and eventually disappearing during the regular season.
              I don't know.
              He's a player to watch. Training with Linval Joseph may help the young DTs. Linval played very well on some great DLs..

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                Gus needs to blitz more, especially on those 3rd downs...not saying it has to be EVERY third down, but for crying out loud, need to mix it up at least SOMETIMES...and don't even get me started on the "Bradley Non-Fighting Vehicle Picket Fence"...
                James should be coming at least once a game.
                Murray may be dynamite. I remember a game when Collins just owned Rivers with a little delay LB
                blitz. Repeatedly. It was so bad PR got gun shy and couldn't make a throw when Collins just stood there and laughed at him.
                A LB with serious speed & timing coming up the middle is a major disruption.
                Knowing that the blitz is not a bluff impacts offensive blocking. They pile on our front four, there's a soft spot we can fly through. They give our DL one on ones, we should feast on QB.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Me too. My observation (unscientific) is uncommon for interior DTs to take until year 3 to come on. Not that superstars don’t shine earlier, but it does seem to be a position that takes longer to become really good on average. Would like to see Tillery make that jump in year 2 and they could become a lot better as a unit.

Combine poor interior DT with poor interior LB ... and you got herself a hole in the defense that is hard to hide.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Wade needs a dominant 3-4 NT.
                    That was simply not true. The only times he every really had a dominant NT was with us with Jamal and in Buffalo with Ted Washington. Every other place he coached, he had only a so-so NT.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

James should be coming at least once a game.
                      Murray may be dynamite. I remember a game when Collins just owned Rivers with a little delay LB
                      blitz. Repeatedly. It was so bad PR got gun shy and couldn't make a throw when Collins just stood there and laughed at him.
                      A LB with serious speed & timing coming up the middle is a major disruption.
                      Knowing that the blitz is not a bluff impacts offensive blocking. They pile on our front four, there's a soft spot we can fly through. They give our DL one on ones, we should feast on QB.
                      YEP...and THAT'S why we need to use ALL the tools in the defensive arsenal...including the blitz...

Comment

• SDFan
                        Woober Goober
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Dolores, CO
                        • Retired
                        • Send PM

Seems like some people here overlook the obvious every year. Last year, there were people wanting to trade WRs and CBs because of the the tremendous depth, but that was an illusion. What makes them better this year except getting James back? There's mediocre starting CBs and depth. Same thing up the middle- talent but nothing proven long term. At least they'll have a really cool stadium to play in???
                        Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by SDFan View Post
                          Seems like some people here overlook the obvious every year. Last year, there were people wanting to trade WRs and CBs because of the the tremendous depth, but that was an illusion. What makes them better this year except getting James back? There's mediocre starting CBs and depth. Same thing up the middle- talent but nothing proven long term. At least they'll have a really cool stadium to play in???
                          There's only one way to prove we can win.

At least we agree on James!
                          Some other differences in personnel:
                          Mebane out- Linval Joseph in at NT. That's a plus.
                          Tillery has a healthy shoulder and gets TC work this year. None last, rehabbing surgery.
                          Perryman is healthy. (for a while anyway)
                          Kenneth Murray brings real size, speed & athleticism at LB.
                          Adderley, who I liked very much in the draft is healthy & will compete for a FS/CB slot.

Many writers believe our CBs are a top 10 group. Steve is knowlegable on his DB appraisal and thinks we have talent (I agree) but that they may not be best in Bradley's scheme. (I dunno)
                          I believe that the secondary will be better than avg as long as the pass rush is getting pressure.

Comment

Working...
                          X