• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDFan View Post
    Seems like some people here overlook the obvious every year. Last year, there were people wanting to trade WRs and CBs because of the the tremendous depth, but that was an illusion. What makes them better this year except getting James back? There's mediocre starting CBs and depth. Same thing up the middle- talent but nothing proven long term. At least they'll have a really cool stadium to play in???
    James, Adderley, Murray, Joseph, Tillery (yr2) ... its not just James at all.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by boldarblood View Post

I'll believe it when I see it. I am not a big fan of Bradley, I think his defense is a bit antiquated. I think we have the talent to do it, I wish we had a better DC. I'd love to have someone like Wade Phillips have a crack at this talent.
      Unfortunately, due to the lack of real prep time,
      our defensive changes will be slow to produce results.

That is easy to predict.

As with a WadeD, it will be feast or famine.

Too aggressive means we will get gashed,
      just like too passive means death by a thousand cuts.

JMO.
      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Unfortunately, due to the lack of real prep time,
        our defensive changes will be slow to produce results.

That is easy to predict.

As with a WadeD, it will be feast or famine.

Too aggressive means we will get gashed,
        just like too passive means death by a thousand cuts.

JMO.
        I just hope Linval, Tillery, Justin Jones are better on the interior than the last few years. LBs should be better with Murray and Drue T. Popper is very high on Tranquill - lets hope he is right and not just the beat writer doing a fluff piece on a player they hope is better (I mean how of those did Acee write about English and Buster!)

I am pretty bullish on the defense if the interior is better than last year. Bosa, Ingram, and James are playmakers that just need the rest of the guys to do their jobs.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just hope Linval, Tillery, Justin Jones are better on the interior than the last few years. LBs should be better with Murray and Drue T. Popper is very high on Tranquill - lets hope he is right and not just the beat writer doing a fluff piece on a player they hope is better (I mean how of those did Acee write about English and Buster!)

I am pretty bullish on the defense if the interior is better than last year. Bosa, Ingram, and James are playmakers that just need the rest of the guys to do their jobs.
          There is no reason Tillery shouldn't make a giant leap forward this season. He was regarded by many as the best interior DL in the 2019 draft. He was still recovering from shoulder surgery when TC opened last season, and often it just takes a bit longer for players to develop. If Tillery does break out this season, the pairing with Joseph on the interior, with Justin Jones right behind them on the depth chart, the Bolts' DL might finally become an asset rather than a liability. Here's to hoping....:Cheers1:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

There is no reason Tillery shouldn't make a giant leap forward this season. He was regarded by many as the best interior DL in the 2019 draft. He was still recovering from shoulder surgery when TC opened last season, and often it just takes a bit longer for players to develop. If Tillery does break out this season, the pairing with Joseph on the interior, with Justin Jones right behind them on the depth chart, the Bolts' DL might finally become an asset rather than a liability. Here's to hoping....:Cheers1:
            Well stated

For me - its just about a modicum of improvement in certain areas. Interior DL. Sure we would love if the middle of the DLine were like the Williams Brother in Minnesota - meaning stout and very good players. But I am not sure how to measure it - but just better is a key. Anything that allows Ingram, Bosa, James, maybe Hayward or Harris - to be play makers. Some guys just need to be role players and do their jobs. Might not be flashy but thats what I see. I have high hopes for Murray but won't call him a playmaker yet.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Linval was #2 in NFL DT tackles 2017 https://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/202...332768/charger

Still gets good reviews.

Comment

• Steve
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • South Carolina
                • Meteorologist
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

One reason he might not is that he is not practicing in the offseason. No one is. I think he will become a good player, but it might be down the road a bit.

I remember hearing an interview with Rivera when he started coaching the Panthers and he felt like a young player needed about 1000 snaps in the offseason program and TC/PS to be ready to start in the regular season. His regular season snaps were only 354, so he can't be too far past that even with practice reps. And regular season practice reps don't have much if any work on technique. Regular season practice is all about game preparation, not skill development.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

There's only one way to prove we can win.

At least we agree on James!
                  Some other differences in personnel:
                  Mebane out- Linval Joseph in at NT. That's a plus.
                  Tillery has a healthy shoulder and gets TC work this year. None last, rehabbing surgery.
                  Perryman is healthy. (for a while anyway)
                  Kenneth Murray brings real size, speed & athleticism at LB.
                  Adderley, who I liked very much in the draft is healthy & will compete for a FS/CB slot.

Many writers believe our CBs are a top 10 group. Steve is knowlegable on his DB appraisal and thinks we have talent (I agree) but that they may not be best in Bradley's scheme. (I dunno)
                  I believe that the secondary will be better than avg as long as the pass rush is getting pressure.
                  I think the DB we have fit the cover 3/cover6 zone D we have been playing very well. They are one of the best in the league at that. Bradley's D worked best in Seattle when it was a mix of cover 3 and a lot of press man coverage with a single high FS (cover 1 man). We are short of guys who excel at press man coverage (James and Harris are the only ones that excel at it really). But all pass coverage is a lot better when the offense is being pressured. Throwing the ball from the turf is a tough throw for any QB.

As far as Adderley goes as a slot CB, ...... we are rotten with slot CB types. We already have 2 of the top slot CB in the NFL in Harris and King. I think if Adderley is going to play, his best chance is at FS, where I think he will be given a chance to compete against Jenkins, who showed good coverage skills, but needs to cut down on his missed tackles and knucklehead plays.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I think the DB we have fit the cover 3/cover6 zone D we have been playing very well. They are one of the best in the league at that. Bradley's D worked best in Seattle when it was a mix of cover 3 and a lot of press man coverage with a single high FS (cover 1 man). We are short of guys who excel at press man coverage (James and Harris are the only ones that excel at it really). But all pass coverage is a lot better when the offense is being pressured. Throwing the ball from the turf is a tough throw for any QB.

As far as Adderley goes as a slot CB, ...... we are rotten with slot CB types. We already have 2 of the top slot CB in the NFL in Harris and King. I think if Adderley is going to play, his best chance is at FS, where I think he will be given a chance to compete against Jenkins, who showed good coverage skills, but needs to cut down on his missed tackles and knucklehead plays.
                    What do you think of Adderley as a boundary CB?

I can see him at FS, with Jenkins at SS and Derwin close to the LOS in one package.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

What do you think of Adderley as a boundary CB?

I can see him at FS, with Jenkins at SS and Derwin close to the LOS in one package.
                      I'm curious about the same. Gus and his position coaches have talent at every level. It sucks that they haven't had normal offseason hands-on work.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I'm curious about the same. Gus and his position coaches have talent at every level. It sucks that they haven't had normal offseason hands-on work.
                        I just want to see a healthy DJ 33 get after it!

He is by far my favorite player

(I remember during the draft after the team that picked 16 during the draft and Derwin was on the board - I had to pause the broadcast, walk away as I just didn't trust Telesco to take him when he was sitting right there! So, I hit FF and thankfully he was picked!)

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just want to see a healthy DJ 33 get after it!

He is by far my favorite player

(I remember during the draft after the team that picked 16 during the draft and Derwin was on the board - I had to pause the broadcast, walk away as I just didn't trust Telesco to take him when he was sitting right there! So, I hit FF and thankfully he was picked!)
                          I remember that clearly. V. Vea and D. Payne were both gone. NO, OAK and BUF had 14, 15 and 16. I thinked at the moment the Chargers would never had D. James.

Comment

Working...
                          X