• SDFan
    Woober Goober
    • Jun 2013
    • Dolores, CO
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
    GM Tom Telesco says Chris Watt is Chargers starting center -- for now

"I don't look at him any different than I did last year," Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said of Chris Watt, "except that I'm really hoping that he can stay healthy because he's a really good football player." Mark J. Rebilas/USA TODAY Sports
    Email
    comment
    6:45 PM ET
    Eric D. Williams
    ESPN Staff Writer
    BOCA RATON, FL. -- Drafted in the third round of the 2014 draft as the San Diego Chargers' answer to replace longtime center Nick Hardwick once he retired, Chris Watt has played in just 17 of 32 games through two seasons.

Watt has dealt with a series of nagging injuries. He finished the 2015 season on the injured reserve with a shoulder issue that required surgery once the season was over. Watt also dealt with concussion issues and an ankle injury that required surgery after his rookie season in 2014.

Chargers general manager Tom Telesco said on Monday that for now he still views Watt as the team's starting center.

Telesco could make a move in the draft or free agency to improve the depth at the center position.

"We view him as a player no differently this year as we did last year at the same time," Telesco said. "But we also know that he's got to prove it, too. He's got to show it on the field. That's just where we are with that.

"I don't look at him any different than I did last year, except that I'm really hoping that he can stay healthy because he's a really good football player."

Backup center Trevor Robinson made 13 starts at center with Watt out last season. And while Robinson has a comfort level with quarterback Philip Rivers, the Chargers still need to find the long-term answer at the center position.

According to ESPN's Roster Management System, the Chargers have about $13.9 million in cap space as of Saturday. That's still enough to do business during the second wave of free agency, perhaps signing a mid-level prospect.

Players like centers Stefen Wisniewski or Manuel Ramirez remain a possibility for San Diego to add. The price tag for those players will go down significantly after the draft at the end of April.

The Chargers are No. 19 in the NFL in terms of available salary cap space, so it will be hard to compete against teams like the Jacksonville Jaguars, who lead the league with over $58 million in cap space.

A more likely scenario for the Chargers is to focus more of their attention towards the draft and the evaluation of college prospects.

The Chargers also have to eventually sign contract extensions with core players currently on the roster like receiver Keenan Allen and outside linebacker Melvin Ingram.

Both enter the final year of their rookie deals in 2016.

Telesco said back in February at the scouting combine that the Chargers have a limited amount to spend after accounting for several other expenses, including restricted and exclusive rights free-agent tenders, budgeting for draft picks and undrafted rookies, paying for in-season injury replacements, signing the team's own unrestricted free agents, and saving some room for potential extensions for core young players.

"Nothing we've done in free agency would preclude from taking someone in the draft," Telesco said. "And that was kind of the goal. Do we want to sign more guys before the draft? I don't want to, but we could.

"Obviously, the pool of players is much smaller now than it was two weeks ago. So if the right fit is there, we certainly could. So we're still monitoring it. I think last year we signed some guys as we got closer to the draft. So we'll see."
    Exactly what I suspected and expected. They view Wat? as the starting center and injuries have unfortunately stalled the plan to install him as the long term answer- so just hit the reset button to where we were last year. Same ol shit will get same ol results.
    Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

fender57
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

If we go in with Wat as the starter then that seals it, Telesco can be officially branded as a joke.

Comment

• SDFan
        Woober Goober
        • Jun 2013
        • Dolores, CO
        • Retired
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
        ]

Telesco is either not telling the truth, or he didn't watch Watt play last year. Watt shouldn't be a starting center - not yet anyway.
        pretty much what Krasovic makes of it too.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
          I dislike that we've already spent a good portion of our available cap space and haven't changed the O'line at all. But y'all already knew how I felt about it. I just don't understand why my opinion is in the minority.
          I think everyone agrees that we need to upgrade the line. I think there is a divergence of opinion as to whether big dollar FAs is the best route to go or not. I am pleased we re-signed the guys we did, am hopeful they'll stay healthy and hope we'll draft a couple guys to help us with depth and who can be starters in the near future. Now if we happen to wait a guy out in FA and sign him for reasonable dollars, all the better.

Comment

• Antonio's Gates
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Chargers Transactions - 2016 Official Free Agency Thread

Watt has started what, 3 games in his life at center? Too early to come to a conclusion on him.

A lot of people are crying about Wisniewski, but there's a reason no one has signed him yet. He's most likely going to be playing on a one year prove it contract again. Besides, if running the ball is the priority, he's not really a fit.

Best (and maybe only logical) thing to do is to draft someone to push Watt. Everyone loves Kelly, including me, but I'm also a big fan of Evan Boehm.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
              I think everyone agrees that we need to upgrade the line. I think there is a divergence of opinion as to whether big dollar FAs is the best route to go or not. I am pleased we re-signed the guys we did, am hopeful they'll stay healthy and hope we'll draft a couple guys to help us with depth and who can be starters in the near future. Now if we happen to wait a guy out in FA and sign him for reasonable dollars, all the better.
              I don't think everybody is taking the line as seriously as they should. How the fuck can I get excited about signing a safety, a receiver, and a defensive lineman when all I picture right now is the same thing I saw the last two years - Philip Rivers getting slaughtered? We have the best fucking quarterback in the universe and we're fucking wasting him. Get him a goddamn line. That's priority number 1. Everything else matters only once the line is fixed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bleeding Vagina Who Should Be GM View Post
                I don't think everybody is taking the line as seriously as they should. How the fuck can I get excited about signing a safety, a receiver, and a defensive lineman when all I picture right now is the same thing I saw the last two years - Philip Rivers getting slaughtered? We have the best fucking quarterback in the universe and we're fucking wasting him. Get him a goddamn line. That's priority number 1. Everything else matters only once the line is fixed.
                While I agree with you 100%, I'm happy with Mebane and Hayward being added (not so much Lowery).

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Well its not over yet. As of now we have a head scratcher at center a head scratcher at LG a head knocker at LT and A developing RG who may have a weight problem and Barksdale. I do agree its not ideal, but if you think that due to injuries and a lack of playing time together coupled with a new Oline coach and philosophy we will see improvement with time for them to gel as long as the injuries abate I would agree with that. Is that better than sending high priced FA and vets to the scrap heap and starting over with paltry FA's and draft picks I think it will be as the resources used on the new oline would leave other positions manned by bargain basement band aids on top of that we would make it harder to get FA down the road by how we treat who we have.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• bonehead
                    Undrafted
                    • Jul 2013
                    • TBD
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                    pretty much what Krasovic makes of it too.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...os-chris-watt/
                    I can't expect Telesco to say anything different no matter Wat??

If he is negotiating to sign a FA Center or looking to grab a center at the top of the 2nd or 3rd round why would he come out and say: " the guys gonna have to fight for his job, he hasn't proven a thing and with his injury history he'll be lucky to make the roster". Might make some of us happy but it sure hurts in negotiations and tips your hand in the draft.

I have said that if we go into the season with Wat? and Robinson as our Centers I'll be pissed but let's wait for disaster to hit before we lose our shit.
                    Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

If the oline is improved via FA and draft as our bloody GM wants this season but we do not fortify the defense we will win games we barley lost last season at least but not much more. If we get better play from who we have on oline but improve the defense we will be a lot more competitive IMO. Yes with a better Oline and running game we will put up more points but we also badly need to prevent teams from scoring more than 21 points/game so the idea is to do both and that may take the whole offseason. Remember teams cut players good aging players after the draft when they draft that players replacement.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• rikardo
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I would like DE in the first pick and TE with the 2nd round pick, I hope C & S are addres in FA, best player available after that, (opens up for trade down more possible)...

Comment

• OhioBolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

DEJA VU

Telesco extended Donald Butler while he flash talent, he was not consistent at all his best season 2012 (3 sacks, 1 INT, 1TD) his five year career 7 Sacks, 6 Fumble Recovery, 3 INT, 1TD, his replacement Denzel Perryman already has 2 career sacks in his rookie year and he didn't even start till the end of the season

Telesco is he confidence Watt and what has exactly shown? Watt is inconsistent he's played in 17 games started 8, Watt has been underwhelming, and oft-injured so why would he be confident in Watt well it is Deja Vu again

Butler at the time of extension was the best linebacker on the squad by default Ingram was potential unrealized and injured, Teo was just a rookie, by defualt he was the best LB on the roster and was given $$$$
                          Watt by default is the best center on the roster because Trevor Robinson is god-awful so yeah you would be more confident in starting him over Robinson, but Watt hasn't shown to be special he just sucks less than Robinson. Telesco I hope you aren't putting your faith and Rivers health in Watt.

Comment

Working...
                          X