X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lightningwill_420

I looked up some Web site from 2015 that had the top free agents - I'm not sure who ended up getting the most money.

1. Suh - I'll take Steve's word for it that he sucked. Loser.
    2. Julius Thomas - 455 yards receiving doesn't sound like a lot, so I'm going to call this a loser.
    3. DeMarco Murray - Sucked. Loser.
    4. Mike Iupati - Played in 13 games last year. Had a really bad neck injury but came back to play in the post season. Hard to judge a lineman for some team I only pay a little bit of attention to. 2nd team All Pro. Cardinals were pretty badass for most the season, and fragile Carson Palmer survived. I'm going to call this a winner.
    5. Greg Hardy - Did better than last year, when he hardly played, but doesn't have the stats he did a couple years ago. Loser.
    6. Byron Maxwell - Research says loser.
    7. Torrey Smith - Seems like a loser.

... Okay, I get the point, Steve. This is evidence (not proof) that you are right - don't sign big-named free agents. But I'm not asking for the best center and guard in the world. I just want ones that can give Philip Rivers a chance to win games. Watt, Fluker and, by your own admission, Franklin, didn't do that last year, and Watt and Fluker didn't do it the year before that. It seems foolish to think we should start the exact same players again. Yea, I get that they were injured last year. They were injured the year before that too. I'm not expecting this year to be different.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-23-2016, 08:11 PM.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Grammar Police
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Suffer bitch!
      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ratenstein
        I'll just go with a see ya Patrick Robinson post since a thread seems like too much.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by ratenstein
          I'll just go with a see ya Patrick Robinson post since a thread seems like too much.
          Goodbye to Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood.

Hey kids. Today's word is craycray - as in my agent is craycray.

Comment

• Steve
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • South Carolina
            • Meteorologist
            • Send PM

Greg Hardy was not a FA, he was cut by Carolina. But, even though he should have been highly motivated, something to prove, little cap, still didn't do anything.

But the key difference between Watt and Fluker is that we can replace them if we want to. We can draft OL help, have them compete against Watt and Fluker, and if we decide that Watt and Fluker are not the answers, we can get rid of them. We will save some cap space, eat some money, but can do that when we want if things have gotten that bad. They have to get really, really bad if we do that with Franklin. If we cut him, he costs us an additional $5 million in cap space, due to his bonuses accelerating, and then we have whatever is left on his contract next year too. So, that mistakes lives with us for several years. With the amount of cap space we have now, that limits our ability to sign players to replace injuries and any draft picks. All that because we threw money at a guy who looks good on paper.

And it is not like Franklin looked like a train wreck. He was a 2nd round pick who played well for Denver. He has never had a serious injury, and had performed well down the stretch for Denver after he was moved to OG. McCoy and he have a positive history from their time in Denver together. Everything on paper said he was a good guy to sign. But, like so many FA, you are not getting the guy you paid for. To me, I think it is the nature of giving guys so much money they feel like they have arrived. You do that, they are not the same player who was trying to prove himself.

I'm not saying we shouldn't try and upgrade the OL, just that we need to do it smart. Don't throw the money away with pro players, spend it on draft picks and draft several players. As far as I am concerned, I am OK with upgrading the whole lot. It won't happen, but we don't have a single player who I would say deserves to be given a starting spot. Let them win the jobs in TC.

Again, teams have draft picks that come in and contribute in year 1 and year 2 all the time. FA on average, are not going to contribute very much. Some do, but the law of averages says that more often then not you are throwing good money after bad. Draft players are also risky, but you have a higher percentage with rookies then you do with FA, especially if you give them a couple of years. Fans who have never played can complain all they want about players being hurt, but sometimes guys get hurt and it is bad luck and it doesn't happen again. We have a big roster going into TC, there is no reason we can't bring them back and let them compete. Nothing says we have to keep them, well except for Franklin (the FA).

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Robinson got 3yrs, $12M and probably will start for the Colts.

Comment

• Formula 21
                The Future is Now
                • Jun 2013
                • Republic of San Diego
                • Send PM

Rivers would be dead if we hadn't signed Dunlap, Barksdale and Hairston. Or at least still in a full body cast.
                Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                The Wasted Decade is done.
                Build Back Better.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Formula Two One View Post
                  Rivers would be dead if we hadn't signed Dunlap, Barksdale and Hairston. Or at least still in a full body cast.
                  Yea, those were good signings my Telesco. Hopefully he pulls that off again.

Not sure they prevented Rivers's death. Rivers is a superhuman and managed to survive mostly on his own. He was a one-man team last year.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Michael Gehlken ‏@sdutGehlken 2 minutes ago

Jahleel Addae makes it official, signs one-year, $2.533M tender. He and Dwight Lowery currently project as Chargers' starting safeties.

Comment

• Lightningwill_420

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                      Michael Gehlken ‏@sdutGehlken 2 minutes ago

Jahleel Addae makes it official, signs one-year, $2.533M tender. He and Dwight Lowery currently project as Chargers' starting safeties.
                      So, in week 2, who will replace Addae?

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

Lowery and Addae. What an uninspiring combo.

Comment

• Faded blues
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
                          Lowery and Addae. What an uninspiring combo.
                          Great point.

Maybe this team has too many holes to be good this year.

Comment

Working...
                          X