• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
    Nick Canepa: Not going to be at all surprised if Fluker moves to guard one day. It seems his natural position, but they can't do it soon.
    Telesco was just on the radio and said the plan is for Fluker to be a tackle for a long time to come.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
      Telesco was just on the radio and said the plan is for Fluker to be a tackle for a long time to come.
      I hope that's the plan. But I also think Fluker has to play a lot better than he has this season.

He has shown that he can be better. But I wonder if teams are figuring him out. Goff is ripping him a new one weekly on his technique so I think teams have found weak spots and maybe he's not getting the coaching he needs
      Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
        I hope that's the plan. But I also think Fluker has to play a lot better than he has this season.

He has shown that he can be better. But I wonder if teams are figuring him out. Goff is ripping home a new one weekly on his technique so I think teams have found weak spots and maybe he's not getting the coaching he needs
        I wonder how much his ankle sprain is affecting him. A bye week can only help.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Fluker has one of the best OL coaches going. He is a lead foot so maybe any foot injury of any kind just slows him too much.

Comment

• Panama
            パナマ
            • Aug 2013
            • London
            • Opera singer and web developer.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by homeless simpson View Post
            added Donald Brown (not a position of need)
            In what universe was backup RB not a position of need for us last offseason???
            Adipose

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

except TT made the same decision as the guy he replaced, figured the OL was good enough and invested picks and free agent money elsewhere. both so far, in hindsight, gambled wrong.
              His very first pick, at #11 overall, was OT. And this year he spent a 3rd-round pick on OG/C. So, in two drafts he has used two high draft picks on OL. How is that not investing draft picks on the OL???

In FA, he has signed Rinehart (who many considered a decent FA acquisition), Dunlap, Ohrnberger. He also brought in that touted Pittsburgh OT (I'm blanking on his name right now) and had discussions with other touted RTs (I'm thinking of that Houston guy whose name I can't recall). Again, how's that not investing FA money in the OL? Sure, he hasn't made a big-money splash, but (1) that doesn't seem to be his style at any position (and before you mention Cox, by CB standards his wasn't a big-money contract), (2) top OL don't tend to hit FA, and (3) he'd been hamstrung by limited cap space.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think your expectations are overblown if you don't think he isn't trying to address the OL or if you think he gives it the short shrift the way AJ did.
              Adipose

Comment

• homeless simpson
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                His very first pick, at #11 overall, was OT. And this year he spent a 3rd-round pick on OG/C. So, in two drafts he has used two high draft picks on OL. How is that not investing draft picks on the OL???

In FA, he has signed Rinehart (who many considered a decent FA acquisition), Dunlap, Ohrnberger. He also brought in that touted Pittsburgh OT (I'm blanking on his name right now) and had discussions with other touted RTs (I'm thinking of that Houston guy whose name I can't recall). Again, how's that not investing FA money in the OL? Sure, he hasn't made a big-money splash, but (1) that doesn't seem to be his style at any position (and before you mention Cox, by CB standards his wasn't a big-money contract), (2) top OL don't tend to hit FA, and (3) he'd been hamstrung by limited cap space.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think your expectations are overblown if you don't think he isn't trying to address the OL or if you think he gives it the short shrift the way AJ did.
                to clarify my entitled opinion as you are entitled to your own opinion, my point wasn't about who he signed over a two year span, i am saying both TT (after 2013) and AJ (after 2011) both felt comfortable enough with who they had on OL going into the next season, and in 2012 and 2014 both the OL they had got riddled by injuries that they were down to 3rd and even 4th stringers and have to fill in with scrap FA OL. and in both instances the villagers complain about WHY AREN'T THEY BUILDING THE TRENCHES.

and for all the talk about limited cap space, it didnt stop us from signing DBrown and Flowers. i must have overblown expectations when told we were building thru the draft by throwing away picks from rounds 4-7 on cheaper players we can develop ourselves since there was all this limited cap space.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

to clarify my entitled opinion as you are entitled to your own opinion, my point wasn't about who he signed over a two year span, i am saying both TT (after 2013) and AJ (after 2011) both felt comfortable enough with who they had on OL going into the next season, and in 2012 and 2014 both the OL they had got riddled by injuries that they were down to 3rd and even 4th stringers and have to fill in with scrap FA OL. and in both instances the villagers complain about WHY AREN'T THEY BUILDING THE TRENCHES.

and for all the talk about limited cap space, it didnt stop us from signing DBrown and Flowers. i must have overblown expectations when told we were building thru the draft by throwing away picks from rounds 4-7 on cheaper players we can develop ourselves since there was all this limited cap space.
                  I agree with Panama. He had been addressing the OL and we needed a RB. The secondary needed a upgrade and signing flowers was a good move. I expect Telesco to continue to improve the OL which is something AJ did not do. I think he had done quite well with it while being cap straped. You have to try and do your best with the team overall and he did a great job with the secondary. We just have had injuries there. Next year we will have more cap room.
                  Although I'm not a Clary fan, he would be a help this year. Troutman isn't that good. Another AJ late round pick that should go away.
                  Last edited by Boltjolt; 11-06-2014, 12:43 PM.

Comment

• sandiego17
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                    In what universe was backup RB not a position of need for us last offseason???
                    The same one that has Flowers as some sort of luxury signing.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

This thread is about building the trenches is it not? Just like in previous years where the average poster would like every draft pick to be on OL, we have a measly 1 OL a year so far so for those complaining about building the trenches, is that enough? And are the build the trenches fans satisfied with scrap heap castoffs from free agency?

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I guess I'd want to know:

How have other teams's oline picks fared the past two years?

And, how have other teams's oline FA signings fared the past two years?

Guessing we're ahead of the curve for both, how much would be interesting to know.

Comment

• blahblahblah
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sandiego17 View Post
                          The same one that has Flowers as some sort of luxury signing.
                          Maybe if they were using cap space on the halftime performance.

Comment

Working...
                          X