• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Looks like this thread has seen it’s day, and gonna put it to bed w/some 2020 hindsight, as have to say am underwhelmed by team TommyJohn and their inner circle of fiftysomething top shelf football minds.

Gonna stick to my original prognosis/proclamation, when said that drafting a QB @6 would be a (big) mistake. Lots to like about Herbert, ‘specially on the personal aspects, and…. dude is still a (huge) risk, and the much safer and me thinx shrewder gambit was on the Oline, as they are traditionally the more likely to pan out and offer a sustained contribution. Thomas was off the board, and team TommyJohn coulda still compounded their ways w/the selection of either Mekhi or Jedrick, as do think Wirfs was the best get there, and….

Trading up is not a recommended habit, albeit woulda, coulda, shoulda gone Cesar Ruiz there if that was indeed a good/the better move to be had…. We did not need a LB, as neither Perryman nor Rivers are any kind of fall guy, and as our real deficiency off of last season was on the Oline, and in particular w/Okung and Pouncey, two areas that are yet to be shored up.

The dream scenario is to hire David Shaw and go from there. If and when he is def not available then plan B for me would be to promote Telesco to VP of Football Ops, and to bring in John Dorsey as GM, and ask him to clean house in the scouting dept as need be, and to bring in an Asst GM (MSII ?) as well.

My sense is that AL has too large a hand/sway in personnel, which doesn’t seem to be his forte, and on top of that his hire of George Stewart and the letting go of Ken Whisenhunt don’t either seem to be reaping dividends atm, and not convinced Steichen is any sort of answer either.

The only way we woulda, coulda, shoulda made the playoffs this next season woulda been by the drafting of the both of Wirfs and Ruiz, and then signing Jason Peters to fill out the Oline…. woulda also drafted LT Prince Tega Wanogho as a developmental prospect behind Peters, and kept Pips on the right side behind Bulaga. Wirfs woulda challenged Feeney/Lamp @LG, and Ruiz woulda hedged our bets behind Pouncey and given Qberry competition as our starting OC. Tevi and Scott would be left to battle behind Trai, and as likely @least one or more goes down w/an injury of some sort, we would still be pretty solid.

Just look at New Orleans who has drafted Ramczyk, Erick McCoy and now Ruiz, and as their only need on the Oline was to hedge their injury concern @one guard spot, and a contractual situation @the other guard spot. New Orleans understands the value of a franchise QB and takes care of their biz on the OL.
    RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
      & ramblin' man
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

QB * Phil was not the problem and it may well be painfully evident if we ever see the field this season. Otherwise the smart move woulda been to bring in Cam, draft Oline, and stand pat for another year while we upgrade the roster. We also coulda, woulda, shoulda avoided most of the squandering of draft capital by drafting Jarrett Stidham last year, and have him still backing up Phil for what would now be his second year sitting behind Rivers. If Stick ever develops as an NFL passer, will be surprised, and Tyrod is not much more than the apple of AL’s eye. Cam woulda helped on a lotta levels, retaining Phil woulda been the wisest decision, and Justin will be fun to follow and root for, and…. dude is a longshot atm.

Will also add, and not enthusiastically so, that my suspicion is that the only way this QB group works is to change the definition of the position, and turn it more into a QB by committee scenario, and where we run systematically thru the regular season as part of our scheme, and if we make the playoffs, then just like Justin did in the Oregon post season, we run much more heavily thru the playoffs, ala Colin Kaepernick.

RB * again one oversight/mistake just compounds the rest of the process, as no way should Tom’ve held onto MG3 after his holdout and tweet epitaths, as we coulda, woulda, shoulda moved him for Jordan Howard or Kenyan Drake, and…. nothing wrong w/adding Joshua Kelly as think he was a (very) good get day three, and in fact woulda liked De’Andre Swift @37, and…. think we’re gonna be ok here for if and when Kelly takes on the majority of the workload, and…. Carlos Hyde not a scheme fit ??

WR * Obviously they knew they were moving on from Phil during last season and not after the fact, as if we were retaining Phil’s services, it woulda made all the sense in the world to bring back Dontrelle after injury and have him as our WR3 going forward now. I liked Patton, but he def has yet to show as a pass catcher, and we did well to bring in Hill round 7, albeit not so sure on Reed longterm, as he is likely similar to Herbert, in that he will more than likely have his moments, but not sure he sticks longterm ??

A bigger move/consideration woulda been concerning Keenan and MW, as don’t think it makes sense to go Larry Fitzgerald w/Keenan, and personally would not've picked up the fifth year option on Williams either…. if eye was brave, I woulda looked into moving Keenan for a pick, if and only if eye knew we were to be without Phil going forward, and…. just don’t see the merits outside of pride/GM reputation, in holding onto an injury concern longballer that cost you your #7 overall…. horrible waste of draft capital.

TE * lotta money for HH w/the tag, albeit not sure we had too many if any better options, and as think the TE prospects in this draft were on the risky side. Hopefully Parham pans out and that Henry holds out injury wise. Woulda def checked into signing Eric Ebron in FA, as a hedge against Henry’s injury and contract concerns.

OT * great trade in moving Russell for Trai, albeit ‘tis mostly a stop gap as we (gladly) traded an injury concern for a contract situation. Starting Pip just seems stubborn/prideful to me, and don’t understand not signing Peters, other than our FO notoriously overpays, and perhaps they are under the impression that Peters is gonna cost more to sign than he really ends up getting. Was surprised that Prince Tega Wanogho lasted as late as he did, of which might be indicative that he is a riskier proposition than eye imagined, as had him as a day two target. And for the record, also was on board w/Yodney Cajuste rather than Trey in the 2019 draft. As mentioned woulda kept Pips behind Bulaga, and will also volunteer that the smart move woulda been to retain Phil and sign Andrew Whitworth for the one year rental.

And granted, the Chargers obviously see Trey as more a LT than right, and he was ranked similarly to Okung by PFF grade wise @tackle, and…. if we had retained Phil and signed the both of Whitworth/Peters and Bulaga, that woulda prolly tapped us out FA monies wise for this offseason…. (still woulda done it tho).

OG * sometimes standing pat is a good thing, sometimes it’s not…. in the case of Feeney/Lamp, personally suspect that we know enough ‘bout Dan and that it may well be time to move him (to SF ?) for a pick, and…. obviously the root concern here, is that our GM missed on not one but both his day two picks there, which is a problem going forward and if it doesn’t rectify itself (it hasn’t re: Tillery, Pip, MW), and….

obviously again, the drafting of Wirfs woulda hedged the guard position w/both Lamp’s uncertainty and Turner’s contract wishes, and not to mention he could fill in @either tackle position as well. Jon Runyan round six woulda been a good hedge as well, and there were options in FA as well before that.

OC * too bad we didn’t draft Erick McCoy in ‘019, and another FO oversight in extending Mike P. if they are counting on Qberry saving the day for if and when Pouncey is down and/or out, god save the queen, and…. have already mentioned of the merit in drafting Cesar Ruiz if indeed a trade up was warranted.
      RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

NT * my guy here was Danny Shelton, but bringing in Linval Joseph will (really) help this D. unfortunately they didn’t follow up things by the drafting of Leki Fotu, which woulda been a solid get, and a good change of direction for this franchise, i.e. instead of going for the skill position candy (@RB).

DT * just gotta wait this one out, as Tom has overdrafted this position w/three picks of late, and…. wouldn’t been all bad if we had drafted Derrick Brown, but that woulda been overdoing things (just a bit). for all eye know, Broughton could end up being the best outta this bunch, and personally would be on the lookout here for an upgrade if not, as both Tillery and JJ look like journeymen talents atm.

DE * real interesting pickup/development woulda been to draft AJ Epenesa @37, as still am not convinced that Bosa is in things for the long haul, and eventually we might need to hedge our bets there, and as eye like Rochelle, woulda made a lotta sense to nab Epenesa when the getting was good, and…. ditto for Melvin, as not sure he’s gonna make a whole lotta sense moving forward and there were guys/hedges available into day three like Bradlee Anae and Curtis Weaver ??

SAM * w/the preponderance of 4-2-5, this is pretty much the forgotten position and Gus is claiming that guys pretty much play all three positions these days anyways, so we’re prolly good w/the likes of Egbule and White, and…. there are some prospects in next year’s draft that would be good gets here as well.

MIKE * obviously am a Perryman fan, and…. dude def has had problems seeing the field over the course of the whole season, and…. dude is slower and shorter than apparently Gus ‘n AL would prefer. Enter Kenneth Murray and the answer to our LBing woes, and…. woulda, coulda, shoulda much rather gone OL here, as don’t see our LBs being quite as deficient as our OL, albeit will admit that even tho eye liked him a fair bit, there is no guarantee w/Cesar Ruiz that he’s gonna be all that @the OC ??

and for the record, don’t think it’s a good gambit to start the either of Tranquill or Vigil here, as both are liabilities against the run, and Drue is a (major) injury concern going forward…. personally woulda opted for Jon Bostic in FA, as our Denzel hedge, and still had the all of Malik and the rest of our WIL’s to back up here as well…. there is also talent to be had in next year’s draft class.

WIL * valid case to be made for bringing in Simmons here, mostly for his popularity and how fun it woulda been to watch him in w/the rest of our talent, ‘specifically Derwin, and…. we went 1-4 upon DJ’s return, and (maybe I’m olde fashioned, and…) still gotta believe that an Olineman is the better get than WIL @6. otherwise hopefully some combo of Drue, Nick, Kyzir and/or Malik will get us thru this.

CB * ‘nother interesting scenario @37 woulda been to bring in the either of Jaylon Johnson or Kristian Fulton, both which woulda been good gets and value near the top of the second. That said, Mike D. could turn into being all that…. think he’s deficient in red zone coverage if I recall, and…. still have little to no problem w/Facyson as CB5, and do like Harris as a stopgap talent to add to the mix.

SS * personally think this is where Rayshawn best fits, and can pick up the slack from AP’s departure, and…. did agree that we needed to bring in a backup to Derwin outta the draft, but woulda again, def gone Oline w/Jon Runyan round 6, and taken my chances round 8/in UDFA for someone else here.

FS * did sound like Gus is gonna do everything in his powers to get the Nas on the field for whatever of this season we might be able to salvage, and… we obviously have Rayshawn penciled in here ‘til proven otherwise, and surprised we didn’t bring in another hedge or two here outta the UDFA ranks ?? there is also some big talent @safety in next year’s draft extravaganza as well.

overall the secondary is a bit of a quandary as we have a lucky 7 to choose from back here, w/Derwin, Rayshawn, Nasir, Hayward, Harris, Desmond and Mike D. whatever the case, we are obviously gonna have Kenneth Murray in as the lone LB more oft than not, which still leaves Tranquill on the pine, not to mention Vigil, who played a hellah lotta snaps last season as well.

the defense is full to the brim, and while the offense…. not so much.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

ps. in retaining AL 'n STA George Stewart, we lost Philip & the Whiz, and could well be losing Denzel 'n Desmond.... am also not convinced we will be the better for Tyrod 'n Trey.

will be watching going forward, and wishing that our FO could be more forward thinking and preemptive, instead of lackadaisical/cautious.... a year early or a year too late ??

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

2020 LA CHARGERS DRAFT

1A) Justin Herbert (QB) #10
            1B) Kenneth “K9” Murray (LB) #56
            4) Joshua Kelley (RB) #27
            5) Joe Reed (WR-KR) #12
            6) Alohi Gilman (DB/STA) #32
            7) K.J. Hill (WR) #84

2020 LA CHARGERS ROSTER

OFFENSE

QB - T. TAYLOR, E. STICK, J. HERBERT

RB - J. KELLEY, A. EKELER, J. JACKSON, (D. BRADWELL - RB/FB, G. NABORS - FB/TE)
            WR - K. ALLEN, M, WILLIAMS, J. REED, K.J. HILL, (A. PATTON, J. MOORE, J. GUYTON, J. COTTON, T. JOHNSON, D. SCHOEN)
            TE - H. HENRY, V. GREEN, D. PARHAM, (A. VOLLERT, S. ANDERSON)
            OT - B. BULAGA, T. PIPKINS, S. TEVI (S. NORTON, T. ST. LIOUS, R. ROBERTS)
            IOL - F. LAMP, D.FEENEY, M. POUNCEY, T. TURNER, S. QBERRY, (T. SCOTT, C. TONER, K. MARTIN, N. GILLIAM, J.DUNLAP)

PROJECTED OFFENSIVE STARTERS

- KA13 - - - - - - - - - - - GREEN - - PIPKINS - - LAMP - - POUNCEY - - TURNER - - BULAGA - - HENRY - - - - - - - - - MIKEDUB -
            -
            ​​​​​​- - - - - ——————————————— ———————TAYLOR —————————————- - - - - -
            -
            -
            ​​​​​​— - - - - ——————————————————————KELLEY —————————————- - - -

SPECIAL TEAMS

PK -
            M. BADGLEY
            P - T. LONG
            LS - C. MAZZA
            PR - J. REED
            KR - J. REED

DEFENSE

DT - J. JONES, J. TILLERY, L. JOSEPH, C. BROUGHTON, (
            PJ JOHNSON, B. FEHEKO, TJ SMITH)
            DE/LEO - J. BOSA, SUPAMEL, I. ROCHELL U. NWOSU, (J. GAZIANO, J. LEMONIER)
            LB - K. MURRAY, D. TRANQUIL, K. WHITE, D. PERRYMAN, E. EGBULE, N. VIGIL, ( M. JEFFERSON, C. CHRISTIANSEN, A. BILAL)
            DS - D. JAMES, R. JENKINS, N. ADDERLEY, A. GILMAN, (R. TEAMER)
            CB - C. HAYWARD, C. HARRIS, M. DAVIS, D. KING, (B. FACYSON, Q. MEEKS, D. VAUGHN, K. MCGILL)

PROJECTED DEFENSIVE STARTERS

​​​​​​​

- - - - - ——————————————. BOSA - - TILLERY - - JOSEPH - - SUPAMEL ———————————-——- - - -
            -
            ​​​​- - - SHOWCASE - - - - - HARRIS - - - - DJ33 - - - - - - TRANQUILL - - - - - - MURRAY - - - ———————DAVIS - - -
            -
            - - - —————————————————————- JENKINS - - ———————————————————-
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Beach those two posts just seem like a copy and paste from your other 100 takes of this very same thing? :dunno:

No new info or unexpected takes at all lol.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

#BoltUp

Lets get after it!!!

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I have arrived too.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Thanks guys. I know your leanings politically. Unfortunately i know everybody's now. lol I just dont care about that stuff.

Anyways im hoping i allowed enough political discussion to burn most of you out and really want to chat about Bolts stuff.

I miss going over Xs and Os. I miss talking about players. I miss so much. Please let this place be an escape from all the pain and suffering in the country right now.

I need this brotherhood of fans to stay united so badly. Truly care about all of you.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
                      Thanks guys. I know your leanings politically. Unfortunately i know everybody's now. lol I just dont care about that stuff.

Anyways im hoping i allowed enough political discussion to burn most of you out and really want to chat about Bolts stuff.

I miss going over Xs and Os. I miss talking about players. I miss so much. Please let this place be an escape from all the pain and suffering in the country right now.

I need this brotherhood of fans to stay united so badly. Truly care about all of you.
                      I just think we are all ready to talk about something else Fleet - thats it! And for the last few months - well anyway

Manzano had an article about Bosa and a holdout. If I were Joey, why come to camp - getting 14m., He will be in shape, ready to go. Plus this year there aren't pads until Day 16 or something like that.

But the Chargers do have some room with not signing Peters (who even knows if that was more media and fan driven). But Bosa counts 14.5 against the cap. They easily could add 5-6m of "CAP SPACE" and really pay Joey a decent signing bonus. With the cap less next year - might be wise to get that done now. I hope to see it!

Comment

• northerner
                        Charger fan since '79
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

agreed. nice post Fleet.

Comment

• Fleet
                          Fleet commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks mate.
                      • 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM