• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Experience? He was playing against KC's B unit, so I do not think the "experience" had great value versus a once in a lifetime record opportunity that was easily within the team's grasp.
    Yes experience. You know, the reason everyone gave for playing him. If you are going to use KCs B unit as not experience worthy, then why play him at all and risk injury? Some wanted to play Stick for that reason and see what Stick can be for us.
    Herbert hasn't had to manage a game with a decent lead in the 4th quarter yet. We never had a decent lead in the 4th quarter

He did break some rookie records, just not the yards. He broke the most TDs and completions records,... and he will win OROY.
    That's not good enough?

Comment

• Classic
      Hall Of Fame
      • Dec 2014
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
      It all depends how they looked at things.

What were the expectations?
      Win division. I'm sure it was a goal. But did they actually think in year 1 after Rivers left that they would overtake the Cheifs. I'm going to say no. Did they think Herbert would end up OROY. How do they view some of the injury. As a reason things weren't as good or just an excuse. Do they think regardless of the HC we need our stars like Bosa and Ingram getting 10 plus sacks each. Does that make them less likely to blame Lynn for defense deficiencies. Did they expect more play and production from Pouncey, Turner and Bulaga. Does that make them less likely to blame Lynn for the ups and downs.
      Did they already go into this season, especially with no pre season thinking this is a mulligan year for the HC who has 1 year left on contract. Are they still happy with him for winning so many games in 1st two seasons in LA. Do they see the 33-31 record as a positive. Do they feel, other than some tough losses, the transition from Rivers to Herbert went better than they could have hoped for. Did they find this 4-0 ending and 5-2 over last 7 games as a positive thing going into 2021.
      If they have strong feeling that Lynn is still the right guy for this franchise. If they feel that the foundation set by Lynn is a good one and deserving of 1 more season. Then seems very likely Lynn is here in 2021.

But if they feel he failed to live up to expectations. If they think he doesn't have the ability to adapt and get more out of a team that even with injury and a rookie QB, that this was still a playoff caliber roster but Lynn mismanaged it. Then I would think he would be gone. Why keep him if you truly feel he got in the way of making the playoffs.

We shall see tomorrow how they saw the year.
      :coffee:

​​​​​​
      They simply need to ask themselves what happened when Norv & AJ needed 1 more chance after the 2011 season or when McCoy & Pagano just couldn't possibly be to blamed for the tire fire that was the 2015 Chargers. Spanos needs to ask himself what will Lynn bring to 2021 that he couldn't in 2020?

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        I don’t believe Lynn is unfair or discriminatory. I definitely don’t believe he was sticking it to Herbert. If he did, then the TD record was more important than the passing yards. I believe Lynn is just stubborn in his offensive philosophy regardless of who his QB is. And he has an old school approach to everything including redshirting a rookie QB. Which is something a lot of head coaches (including the good ones) do in this league. If Lynn was as shallow as you said, there definitely wouldn’t be this outpouring of support from the players. They would see right through it.

How do you know they don’t?
        I think Lynn is certainly a butt in a few jokes in that locker room, they just don’t have anything to gain from making that public.
        I can be critical on a fan internet site, my career is unaffected
        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes experience. You know, the reason everyone gave for playing him. If you are going to use KCs B unit as not experience worthy, then why play him at all and risk injury?
          He hasn't had to manage a game with a decent lead in the 4th quarter yet. We never had a decent lead in the 4th quarter

He did break some rookie records, just not the yards. He broke the most TDs and completions records,... and he will win OROY.
          That's not good enough?
          No. That is not a good enough job by Lynn. His coaching philosophy is all wrong with Herbert. 31 passes, 35 runs today. That is not good enough when your rookie QB needs only 39 yards to break the rookie passing record. As noted by others, 10 running plays out of the final 12 plays were called before kneeling on the ball. Lynn needed to let Herbert throw for the record, not restrict him as he has done this entire season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

No. That is not a good enough job by Lynn. His coaching philosophy is all wrong with Herbert. 31 passes, 35 runs today. That is not good enough when your rookie QB needs only 39 yards to break the rookie passing record. As noted by others, 10 running plays out of the final 12 plays were called before kneeling on the ball. Lynn needed to let Herbert throw for the record, not restrict him as he has done this entire season.
            So what you're saying is if you were the head coach instead of throwing the ball 40 times a game you would throw it 65 times a game and run it 15 times?, because I don't think throwing it 40 x a game is restricting him.

Rivers in his first year starting threw 460 passes.
            Herbert threw 595 in 15 games.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I think Lynn is certainly a butt in a few jokes in that locker room, they just don’t have anything to gain from making that public.
              I think there’s enough ways to express frustration anonymously in the NFL.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes experience. You know, the reason everyone gave for playing him. If you are going to use KCs B unit as not experience worthy, then why play him at all and risk injury? Some wanted to play Stick for that reason and see what Stick can be for us.
                Herbert hasn't had to manage a game with a decent lead in the 4th quarter yet. We never had a decent lead in the 4th quarter

That's not good enough?
                No, it’s not good enough. Lynn obviously wanted to stick it to Herbert by not having him get the rookie passing yards.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

So what you're saying is if you were the head coach instead of throwing the ball 40 times a game you would throw it 65 times a game and run it 15 times?, because I don't think throwing it 40 x a game is restricting him.

Rivers in his first year starting threw 460 passes and only 11 times in one game.
                  Herbert threw 595 in 15 games.
                  I think it is funny that you think that the NFL is the same game in 2021 that it was in 2006.

I think it is funny that you think LT running behind a good OL is the same as our current RBs running behind our less than great OL.

I think it is funny that you would consider our defenses in those two seasons (2006 and 2020) as being equally capable of stopping an opponent.

Lynn's main form of restricting Herbert has been to go early down run heavy and put Herbert behind the sticks, minimizing his chances of success.

However, at times, he really has taken the ball out of Herbert's hands to a large degree, which is obviously stupid. The MIA game plan was awful. There is no reason we could not have done what BUF did to MIA today, but Lynn chose the exact opposite and stupidest approach ever. Against LV in the second game, we ran way too much in the 4th quarter and it almost cost us the game. Today, we ran on 10 of our final 12 plays before kneeling and Herbert had only 31 passes versus 35 running plays.

I am on record as saying that with our present abilities, we should be close to 2 passes for every one run. Balance for the sake balance alone with a team with a pronounced imbalance of talent in the two offensive areas is stupidity on display. But the early down run heavy play calling has been the biggest drive killer all season long.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

“Coach Lynn’s been awesome,” Herbert said. “Him and I, we’ve gotten really close over these past couple of months. He’s always out on the field and whether he’s helping the running backs, the offensive line, the quarterbacks — he’s been doing a great job of stepping into our meetings and telling us exactly what he wants and how he wants it done. He’s a leader and this team follows him and I really believe in him.”
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

They simply need to ask themselves what happened when Norv & AJ needed 1 more chance after the 2011 season or when McCoy & Pagano just couldn't possibly be to blamed for the tire fire that was the 2015 Chargers. Spanos needs to ask himself what will Lynn bring to 2021 that he couldn't in 2020?
                      Well......
                      AJ Norv have a winning resume in 6 seasons together. They were 16 game above .500

Telesco has a losing record over his 8 season.
                      McCoy 10 games under and Lynn 2 wins above .500

If the bottom line on resume is Wins - Losses The 8 season since the AJ Norv firing means they either screwed up by firing them or screwed up with who they hired.

Another way to look at it AJ Norv 56 wins in 6 years.
                      Telesco 60 in 8 years. 32 more games needed by Telesco to get 4 more wins.

Maybe it's just Johnny Spanos getting involved more over the years and everything has his fingerprints on it now.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I think it is funny that you think that the NFL is the same game in 2021 that it was in 2006.

I think it is funny that you think LT running behind a good OL is the same as our current RBs running behind our less than great OL.

I think it is funny that you would consider our defenses in those two seasons (2006 and 2020) as being equally capable of stopping an opponent.

Lynn's main form of restricting Herbert has been to go early down run heavy and put Herbert behind the sticks, minimizing his chances of success.

However, at times, he really has taken the ball out of Herbert's hands to a large degree, which is obviously stupid. The MIA game plan was awful. There is no reason we could not have done what BUF did to MIA today, but Lynn chose the exact opposite and stupidest approach ever. Against LV in the second game, we ran way too much in the 4th quarter and it almost cost us the game. Today, we ran on 10 of our final 12 plays before kneeling and Herbert had only 31 passes versus 35 running plays.

I am on record as saying that with our present abilities, we should be close to 2 passes for every one run. Balance for the sake balance alone with a team with a pronounced imbalance of talent in the two offensive areas is stupidity on display. But the early down run heavy play calling has been the biggest drive killer all season long.
                        LoL, it's not all that different now from 2006. In 2006 it was much different than it was in the 70's thru 90 though. There are more rules today. More lame PI and roughing the passer rules. The latter just started what, two years ago? Maybe last year?

Other than that, no intersst In what you have to write.
                        I think it's funny you think you know wtf you are talking about ALL the time.

​​

Comment

• Critty
                          Dominate the Day.
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Herbert being asked is one thing.
                          But.....
                          Derwin went out of his way to support on a tweet.
                          He could have stayed quiet about it.
                          Why would he do that?
                          Who has it better than us?

Comment

Working...
                          X