• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Talent acquired is not the issue. Issues are mostly that the talent can’t stay healthy.
    Whatever combination of medical staff, trainers, massage therapists, yoga instructors, hookers, drug dealers, and bionic scientists are needed, we need to figure it out.
    brilliant second sentence there, and.... gonna disagree w/the first line.
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
      OK, neither have been to the SB so i guess it doesnt matter. Bobby Ross better than both.

Picking a staff is tough. I havent really gave it much thought.

Off the top of my head in no particular order

STs - Anyone NOT named George Stewart

DC - Leslie Frazier, Rex Ryan though i dont think we are ready for a 3-4, wouldnt mind Marvin Lewis...does he have a job right now?

OC - Joe Brady, Pep, Josh Heupel, Jason Garrett

HC - Brian Kelly, McDaniels, Raheem Morris, Wouldnt mind giving Garrett a shot here since he was under Jerry who is a awful GM. Also a bit intriqued by Brian Shott. He has been a

OC for years now and has some tutelage under Pete Carroll as their current OC.

Im sure ill get some negative feedback but im not up on who deserves these shots for HC but i know im not in favor of Eric Bieneimy as our HC.
      I been reading that Byron Leftwich is a top leading HC candidate but i find that surprising. He hasnt been a OC very long but at least he does call the plays.

Not sure ALL these guys fit in Deans price range but thats who i thought of.
      I agree, picking a staff is tough.

Another dark horse candidate that no one will find sexy: Jim Caldwell

In Caldwell's first season with the team in 2014, the Lions went 11-5, In his NFL head coaching career, Caldwell has a 62-50 record. In seven seasons of being an NFL head man, Caldwell's had an above .500 record on five occasions -- three times with Detroit. Repeat. With Detroit.

Jim Caldwell wasn't viewed as the coach that could lead the Lions to their first Super Bowl appearance in franchise history. Now with Matt Patricia's winning percentage, Jim Caldwell is looking pretty good.

He is an real option, IMO. Pep Hamilton as QC/Steichen as OC/Jim Caldwell as HC/DC.

Comment

• PR#1
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
        still don't get the argument.... clear as day.... Lynn jettisoned his All Pro statue @QB, had fired his OC, had installed his offense w/new coordinator and new mobile RPO QB, and.... the result ??

we stumbled out of the gate w/16 points and had a win handed to us by the other team.... not unlike his first four games in the NFL of AL football.

just don't see the evidence of how cocksure peoples are here as to why AL football is winning Chargers football ??

the reason we went on a run his first season is again clear as day.... he receded from AL football and got more in line w/PR Whiz football, and.... how did you like him then ??

yeah he did some good things.... was a great presser compared to McCoy, was a no nonsense real ex NFLer that was actually one of the fellas and had plenty of players that liked him, and....

was he really the mastermind of the 0-4 turnaround ?? ....the HC who pretty much pioneered the concept of the blocking WR ??

fast forward to 2020 having finally been able to install his version of RPO mobile QB football, and w/the help of his new OC, and.... pretty much staggered outta the gate.... against the Bengals.

and then lo and behold the football gods intervened.... does anyone really believe that AL football woulda been right there without the Herbert intervention ??

well to be fair, personally thought we were gonna be right there w/the Chiefs, and that w/Tyrod at the helm, so we'll prolly never know how this thing woulda gone w/Herbert on the pine, and....

again, can't believe it's anything but clear as day, that JH10 has been the difference maker.... not AL, not Stitch, not even Pep.... hopefully it's a team effort, and.... how can you not give the nod to the rook ??

did any of you raising the AL flag think that we needed a transition year post PR ?? wasn't PR the nail in the tire that needed to be fixed ?? that dead horse got kicked 'round the block, now what ??

not on AL ?? but the 22-9 was all him and in spite of PR ?? that's swimming upriver if you ask me.

and claiming AL was/is all in on JH is crazy talk.... no one talks of someone the way he did of Herbert, if he's the apple of your eye.... would he ever say that 'bout Tyrod ?? he was a backup wasn't he ??

the bottom line is that things just haven't panned out for him, and it's not for a lack of effort/know how.... he's been more aggressive on fourth down, he's had Gus pull in the D against Tampa and Brady, he's let Stitch air it out w/UDFA pass catchers, and.... the bottom line is that things haven't added up where they count.... in the W/L column.

peoples have called him out for going turtle down the stretch w/a lead, his star DE was openly campaigning for the rook to start, after their HC repeatedly, and week after week refused to offer much if any encouragement to his rookie signal caller, who all he did was regularly exceed expectations, and never get ruffled no matter the flack and negative reinforcement that came his way/was heaped on him.

why was King calling him out on Twitter ?? why did he have to discipline Denzel and Teamer ( and who else ?). are these signs that the team/org is going in the right direction ??

were you certain last year that Lynn would lay an egg outta the gate and that this year would prolly be a mulligan, and that he def deserved another year in 2021 ?? and based exactly on what ??

he retained Mebane, held onto Square, apparently lobbied for a trade up in the draft for a new LB to replace Perryman, and ditto for a SCB to replace King in FA.... he got his new QB, his new OC, held onto his STs coach, hasn't been able to prevent his defensive ship from taking on water, and still we are darn sure he's the guy we gotta stick w/for another season, and.... despite our FO's track record w/retaining HCs for (@least) a season too long ??

yes, you could be right, but really seems to be hopium that we're on here ??

Lynn came in here hoping he could recreate the Buffalo magic he had w/Tyrod.... we brought him in here coz he had a (very) strong record in developing team's running games.

everyone can spin the bottle here, but the bottom line is that things just aren't working out, and.... speaking for myself, really don't need a repeat of a Norv and/or McCoy where we double down on lame duck seasons.... @the very least Justin deserves better, but more importantly, our FO needs to do better by the team and org.

it's all good and well to do the right thing, which obviously Lynn and our FO have both done their darnedest to stick by, and.... that really is the question: what is the right thing to do here ??
        Bravo !!!

:toyou:

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
          funny how you are reluctant to scapegoat the coach, but had no problem skewering the old man QB, and now the fg kicker ??

and what is the diff between PR's situation and AL's ??
          For me....it's the larger context of things.
          The amount of years and at times pretty darn talented teams that Rivers had.
          Certainly at times need better o-line. Often that was health related. I think Rivers made some head scratcher throws and cost a game here and there during his career. FG kicker I had issue with for Brees, Rivers and now this year Herbert. These QBs drive their team to score and need to be able to count on the kicker to make the XP and FG. Especially game winners. Kaeding punked Rivers MVP caliber season 13-3 vs Jets. I been hoping they find one that can make the clutch kicks. And it look like they might, but Badgely been awful this year. And he had been so good for 2 seasons. Bad time to have a down first half of season. Herbert deserves better. 2 more wins if Badger was money.

For Lynn, IMO he should get a 5th season before making a decision about a regime change. I add in that he never has a home field advantage. I add in that he Is transitioning to a new QB. And I add in he is missing some significant starters. And I can see with my eyes players in position to make game winning plays. So he has led the Charger horses to exactly where players ask to be....a place to make plays and succeed.
          Its time for them to own this next step and get their HCs back. Its time for Badgely to get Herbert's back.

If vs Miami it's comes down to a 51yd FG for Badgely at the buzzer. And it could Dolphins are playing some very good football this year. Then I need Badger to show me the money. Simple as that.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

​"A.Lynn is a better HC than Belicheat" - Critty

:bertstare:

"No comment, No comment at all! " - Powderblueboy

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

At the end of the day, if your head coach instills toughness, discipline and positive culture up the kazoo,
              but it becomes diluted because of a questionable judgement on personnel, game planning and the cohesive construction of all the teams parts: defense, special teams, offense......than you have to take note.

A bend and don't break defense combined with a grind it out offense & indifferent special teams play is not going to work.
              With Taylor at qb - as planned, this team would have been one of the 3 - 4 worst teams in the league.

There's been more than a few signs that Lynn has a few quirks & inflexible beliefs that makes him less than suitable to lead your team. The record speaks for itself - time to move on.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                At the end of the day, if your head coach instills toughness, discipline and positive culture up the kazoo,
                but it becomes diluted because of a questionable judgement on personnel, game planning and the cohesive construction of all the teams parts: defense, special teams, offense......than you have to take note.

A bend and don't break defense combined with a grind it out offense & indifferent special teams play is not going to work.
                With Taylor at qb, this team would have been one of the 3 - 4 worst teams in the league.

There's been more than a few signs that Lynn has a few quirks & inflexible beliefs that makes him less than suitable to lead your team. The record speaks for itself - time to move on.
                You may be underestimating Lynn's ineptness as a head coach.

With a top 10 QB in Herbert and talented players all over the place, we may still end up as one the 3-4 worst teams in the league (in terms of our record).
                Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2020, 02:05 PM.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Certainly at times need better o-line. Often that was health related. I think Rivers made some head scratcher throws and cost a game here and there during his career. FG kicker I had issue with for Brees, Rivers and now this year Herbert. These QBs drive their team to score and need to be able to count on the kicker to make the XP and FG. Especially game winners. Kaeding punked Rivers MVP caliber season 13-3 vs Jets. I been hoping they find one that can make the clutch kicks. And it look like they might, but Badgely been awful this year. And he had been so good for 2 seasons. Bad time to have a down first half of season. Herbert deserves better. 2 more wins if Badger was money.

For Lynn, IMO he should get a 5th season before making a decision about a regime change. I add in that he never has a home field advantage. I add in that he Is transitioning to a new QB. And I add in he is missing some significant starters. And I can see with my eyes players in position to make game winning plays. So he has led the Charger horses to exactly where players ask to be....a place to make plays and succeed.
                  Its time for them to own this next step and get their HCs back. Its time for Badgely to get Herbert's back.

If vs Miami it's comes down to a 51yd FG for Badgely at the buzzer. And it could Dolphins are playing some very good football this year. Then I need Badger to show me the money. Simple as that.
                  for me the larger context of things is that if we follow the Charger way and let Lynn finish out his contract thru the end of next season, we will have lost a year that our next HC could use w/Herbert on his rookie contract.... what we need is a coach to bust thru this four year cycle we're on.... would like to set someone up to have four years of Justin on his rookie contract, so Telesco & Co. can take best advantage of the cap w/a rook QB, and that our new HC has the full four years to get us back up to speed, and not have to wade thru another year of what we've been thru the last year and a half.

and are you suggesting AL has been without talent ?? and that he hasn't made head scratching decisions that have perhaps cost us a game or coupla few ?? or that Phil did have a homefield advantage ??

and fg kickers miss kicks, just like receivers fail to get open or drop passes, or your Oline misses blocks, and yaddah yada.... Badgley was never good from over 50 yards, the book on him was he is money in the 40s, and yeah.... would be nice if he made more over 50 yards, and he has made some, and.... like most other kickers, he misses a coupla few there too.

and transitioning to a new QB ?? are you suggesting AL would be better off w/Tyrod, or even someone like Mariota or Cam ?? or how 'bout Easton Stick.... he's experienced.

fact of the matter is that AL got the golden egg/gift horse, and has it better than w/PR or Tyrod, and yet apparently that still hasn't been the difference maker for this team.

and other teams aren't missing starters ?? and again, when we did have both Bosa and James to close out last season, how did we finish up ??

bottom line is we haven't handled our biz.... if it always comes down to needing a play or a kick, maybe that's the NFL, but don't you think we'd win one outright once in awhile, and perhaps more oft than that if we were as good as we were s'posed to be ?? ....recall Lynn saying after last season, that "I wouldn't bet against me."

well 2-6 on top of 5-11 are not the odds that am guessing you or most common sensical peoples would be looking for....

and the players need to have their head coaches' back ?? you mean like he had PR's back, Whisenhunt's back, Desmond's back, his rookie QB's back ?? and don't think his track record is lost on his players.... they know better than the you and me, and prolly even more so than our FO, as to what is really going on in that locker room.

I've seen the faces during AL's locker room rants/chants.... wouldn't exactly call 'em votes of confidence.

as mentioned before, think Lynn is in some unfamiliar terrain as HC, and it hasn't gone as swimmingly as he and some others obviously hoped for. you can cut your losses and move on, or decide to ride it out.... speaking for myself, am not so much a Buddhist, and therefore don't really believe in suffering.... am ready for a new coaching staff, and a new wind thru Chargers Park.
                  5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

The excuse making in the above post is pathetic.

Lynn has been nothing short of awful as head coach this year. He should not even get to the end of the season, but he will likely end up getting saved by the schedule change that switched our week 10 bye (this week) to several weeks ago when some may still have been less than 100% sure about Lynn's failure as a head coach. But with another 3 blown second half leads, including two of the huge variety, and two more one possession losses which featured coaching failures all over the place, there can be no doubt and the team would have been in good position to fire Lynn with the bye week that should have been at hand right now.

There is zero reason to treat Lynn differently than McCoy as their coaching results for the Chargers have been incredibly similar, only McCoy accomplished his results with less talent than Lynn has had, meaning that McCoy's level of bad coaching was actually better than Lynn's level of bad coaching.

McCoy was given 4 seasons. In two of the seasons, he had a 9-7 non-playoff team and a wild card round winning playoff team. Lynn has had a 9-7 non-playoff team and a wild card round winning team in two of his seasons. Identical.

McCoy followed that up with 4-12 and 5-11 seasons and got fired. Lynn has followed up his first two seasons with a 5-11 season and he is 2-6 this year, exactly on pace to finish 4-12, again, the same results as those achieved by McCoy.

This team has the talent right now, even with James, Ekeler and Harris out, to be a playoff team and yet we are likely to be drafting in the top 10 in 2021 because Lynn has taken what should be an 8-0 team based upon opponents faced and/or leads held and has turned it into a 2-6 team.

Contrary to the above quoted post, Lynn has no excuse for that result.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I agree, picking a staff is tough.

Another dark horse candidate that no one will find sexy: Jim Caldwell

In Caldwell's first season with the team in 2014, the Lions went 11-5, In his NFL head coaching career, Caldwell has a 62-50 record. In seven seasons of being an NFL head man, Caldwell's had an above .500 record on five occasions -- three times with Detroit. Repeat. With Detroit.

Jim Caldwell wasn't viewed as the coach that could lead the Lions to their first Super Bowl appearance in franchise history. Now with Matt Patricia's winning percentage, Jim Caldwell is looking pretty good.

He is an real option, IMO. Pep Hamilton as QC/Steichen as OC/Jim Caldwell as HC/DC.

to your point, Patricia quickly lost the locker room
                      I didn’t realize how bad, but this is bad. Patricia makes Belicheat look like a rockstar
                      I will say that I lean more towards authoritarians than “player coach” types, but Patricia we’ve seen examples of things Patricia has said, pretty insulting.
                      Sucks because I was a big Patricia proponent after reading about how all the veterans loved him in New England, including our own Jr Seau.

DC looks like his ceiling
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• beachcomber
                        & ramblin' man
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The excuse making in the above post is pathetic.

This team has the talent right now, even with James, Ekeler and Harris out, to be a playoff team and yet we are likely to be drafting in the top 10 in 2021 because Lynn has taken what should be an 8-0 team based upon opponents faced and/or leads held and has turned it into a 2-6 team.

Contrary to the above quoted post, Lynn has no excuse for that result.
                        namecalling + 8-0.... think you may have overextended yourself there, no ??

Comment

• Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

namecalling + 8-0.... think you may have overextended yourself there, no ??
                          I disagree. Calling a position taken by a poster pathetic is not calling the person pathetic and is not name calling.

Also, the team should be 8-0 right now based upon competition played and/or game situation. The team came out flat against CAR and dug a hole for themselves, but still should have won. The team surrendered big leads against KC, TB, NO and DEN, showing no ability to make halftime adjustments. Last week's game was a complete coaching debacle. We should have won every game.

Comment

Working...
                          X