• Show
Clear All
  • PR#1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I remember being sold like a sucker haha
    happily waving good bye to Jackson (I forgot why I was mad at him)
    and stoked about Meachem and Royal.

big Molk supporter too haha
    good time
    not really but hilarious looking back
    Was it Jackson that kicked a flag during a playoff game giving us a 15 yard unsportsman like conduct ?

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Was it Jackson that kicked a flag during a playoff game giving us a 15 yard unsportsman like conduct ?
      that's what it was.
      also, some noise about him getting pulled over for speeding on his way to the game.
      just a wreck of a day for him.
      but why are you running late to your own playoff game in your own town?
      maybe the cop was a Jets fan idk
      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Oh man, I remember that. AJ had a grudge against Edwards because Edwards was beefing about a new contract early in 2006. He let his grudge enter his decision-making when he let Edwards walk and elevated Whiffhelm. To me, that move was the beginning of the decline of the Chargers after they had peaked talent-wise in 2006. Everybody likes to say Norv inherited the most talented team in the NFL when he took over as HC in 2007, but actually the defense took a big hit when Whiffhelm was out there instead of Donnie. Edwards led the team in INTs for a couple of seasons, including 2006, if I remember correctly.
        Edwards was also a Schottenheimer guy, followed Schottenheimer from K.C. to San Diego.
        His last game for the Chargers (the playoff loss to the Pats) he was the Chargers best player on D....easily.

The JWall of 2007 was not the JWall of 2006....could be coaching, but he probably was beginning his downhill slide.

On the other hand, Norv had the rookie Weddle (who was good) & an improved Cromartie in 2007.
        Somewhat of a push. The replacement of Wade for whats his name set the D back more than anything.

Comment

• Chargerville
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          I may be the only one left that still likes Anthony and still believes he's a good coach. Like everyone else, I sometimes question his on field decisions but I don't see him repeating his mistakes. What I see that I like is how consistent he is - he stays calm and keeps pushing his players to play within themselves. His leadership is obvious and I believe he'll grow into the job. While many of you are hoping he gets fired soon, I'm hoping he's leading this team for many years. The 12-4 season is proof enough for me that we can win with him as the HC!
          I was hoping for Kyle Shanahan because I liked what he did with Matt Ryan, and I believe in the Shanahan’s in terms of actually fixing or creating a running game. Lynn is from that camp (well at least as a player) but to me, it just feels like the Mike McCoy, Whisenhunt shotgun offense with a few modifications in the running plays, and if that’s all it’s going to be, he can go.

I feel the Chargers could win with Herbert doing what the 49ers or rams do on offense... but it still feels to shotgun/Mike McCoy-ish on offense to me (a new coach running too much of the same stuff)

I just felt then as I feel now... if you wanted a running game that was going to be good enough to reel a QB in, you should have hired a Shanahan as opposed to a running back coach who had only been an actual play caller for one season in Buffalo
          Last edited by Chargerville; 10-11-2020, 01:54 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

that's what it was.
            also, some noise about him getting pulled over for speeding on his way to the game.
            just a wreck of a day for him.
            but why are you running late to your own playoff game in your own town?
            maybe the cop was a Jets fan idk
            based on a fuzzy memory, he had a suspended license and was waiting for someone to pick him up.
            that person didn't come, so he got in his car.
            He was cited for driving on a suspended sentence.
            He might have been pulled over for driving while black.

The 15 yard penalty for kicking an officials flag i don't remember in that game.
            He had a good game, marred by the jets great cb pulling a 50-50 ball away from him for an interception.

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

The problem we have now is that it is going to take more new offensive players/pieces to build a running game, than it will to create a balanced offense or a pass first group. We have the skill positions at TE, WR and pass catching RB (once Ekeler comes back), and teams like that can get away with RB by committee. We need a few more OL pieces no matter what O we play.

It also fits the style of defense we play. Bend but don't break style doesn't usually favor well with running offenses. They don't have as much room to bend and not break if they are backed up in their own end of the field, and the other team keeps getting good field position.

If I was the Chargers front office, I would try and find someone to be the next HC as a guy who has some sort of plan as to how they would keep the team healthy.

I think most fans talking about the Chargers woes in terms of strategy and game planning is missing the point. I can't say I thrilled in those areas, but a lot of teams get away with bad strategy and game management through execution. The Chargers general lack of execution and any form of real consistency screams of lack of fundamentals/technique. The Chargers still cannot block, shed blocks or tackle well. That dates back to Norv.

The one thing I think has gone well is that the team seems to really believe and trust one another, and that says a lot about AL and his teambuilding exercises. That is something we need to keep using.

Mostly, I just don't see us making progress. If the only reason we were losing was Herbert throwing 1 or 2 int, and a fumble per game, then maybe AL had things going in the right direction. But we are still leaving points on the field from missed 3rd and shorts. The D still struggles to actually get ball carriers down on the ground. These are things that Norv, McCoy, and AL all share. They need to get past this.

Yes, the rules and the game has changed, so maybe some younger innovative coaches can come up with some drills that allow non-contact technique work. Bradley was in Sea when they did tackling drills every day, even in the non-contact days. Yet, if he is doing the same thing with us, something is missing because we are always in the bottom 3rd of the NFL in missed tackles, and those are free yards to any O.

Comment

• Chargerville
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2013
                • Send PM

I just don’t like the combination of a predictable shotgun mistake prone offense, that either (1) can‘t be counted on to sustain drives when we need them too (2) will find a way to give away the ball in the most crucial moments... paired with a conservative bend but don’t break zone-cover defense that just can’t be counted on to hold (or effectively pressure) the top QBs in the playoffs.

Just feels like in a post-season game (they may win one game, but certainly not 3 or 4), the top passing QBs would find away around our cover defense, and the top pressure defenses will find away around our shotgun offense.

It just feels like you either need clutch offense with conservative defense... or clutch high/pressure defense with conservative ball control offense... or perhaps clutch/more aggressive on both sides.

Comment

• floydefisher
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • siberiacuse, ny
                  • Send PM

I'm going to be honest here.

This year reminds me of the last year of Mike McCoy....close losses choked away at the end too many times, by way too many mistakes.

Yeah, the QB situation isn't the greatest, but they choked away a 24-7 lead in the last game. That shouldn't be happening no matter who the QB is.

However, replacing Lynn now isn't the answer...who would you replace him with? At the end of the year, better candidates should be available, so it's best just to wait instead of doing something desperate when you have zero shot at winning anyhow.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargerville View Post
                    I just don’t like the combination of a predictable shotgun mistake prone offense, that either (1) can‘t be counted on to sustain drives when we need them too (2) will find a way to give away the ball in the most crucial moments... paired with a conservative bend but don’t break zone-cover defense that just can’t be counted on to hold (or effectively pressure) the top QBs in the playoffs.

Just feels like in a post-season game (they may win one game, but certainly not 3 or 4), the top passing QBs would find away around our cover defense, and the top pressure defenses will find away around our shotgun offense.

It just feels like you either need clutch offense with conservative defense... or clutch high/pressure defense with conservative ball control offense... or perhaps clutch/more aggressive on both sides.
                    It is worth noting that when we blitzed TB, they made a lot of their big plays. Just saying ...

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

I’d be shocked if Lynn were fired before the end of the year. I wouldn’t be all that surprised if he let Gus go in a desperation move. I do think Lynn’s future here is very much in doubt and he has to show something the rest of the year to get an extension. The 5 game stretch after the bye against the Jags, Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins and Jets is his time to do it as 4 of those 5 teams are awful.

Comment

• Chargerville
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It is worth noting that when we blitzed TB, they made a lot of their big plays. Just saying ...
                        I’m really not in any way talking about a non-blitzing team who tries to blitz and doesn’t really have the personnel to play man-to-man because they are primarily a rush 4 zone cover defense, I’m talking about teams who specializes in blitzing, and disguising their blitzes/coverages correctly. Zone coverage teams in my opinion rarely blitz good, and the excuse is always the same... we tried blitzing and got burned the more we did... because they are doing something that’s out of their element/character.

in my opinion, Andy Reid brought in SS because he knew that in the clutch, he runs a defense that was proven to be able to disrupt top passing offenses/QBs in big games. Meaning, he was probably like, we have to be running the type of defense that has at least proved in some way that it can be effective against Brady in a big game or you’ll probably never see a Super Bowl... especially if you’re running exactly what he eats up.

When Brady was on the Pats... the whole time I was like, they’re not gonna beat the Pats. The pats will play man to man and pressure our shotgun offense... we won’t sustain drives... and on offense, they will continue to find a way around our zone-cover defense... he’ll just get rid of the ball quickly which will nullify the 4 man rush
                        Last edited by Chargerville; 10-12-2020, 09:42 AM.

Comment

• Chargerville
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          I’d be shocked if Lynn were fired before the end of the year. I wouldn’t be all that surprised if he let Gus go in a desperation move. I do think Lynn’s future here is very much in doubt and he has to show something the rest of the year to get an extension. The 5 game stretch after the bye against the Jags, Broncos, Raiders, Dolphins and Jets is his time to do it as 4 of those 5 teams are awful.
                          If Lynn goes 1-5 or 0-6 in the division again which is actually possible, I’m not sure he’ll survive. 1-11 or 0-12 in a two year span against the division (a division with Gruden and Reid) wouldn’t be good for him.

Comment

Working...
                          X