• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Steelers have a brand of football that relies on defense.
    Steelers still had the #5 defense last year with most takeaways in the league. And their kicker made 93.5%
    Steelers also had the better and more healthy o-line. With 3 healthy pro bowl players. They really only had QB health issue and that one position talent level drop in a QB Driven League is why they lost half their games and missed post season. Now that one position back healthy and they are rolling.

Chargers o-line in 2019
    LT-Scott
    LG-Feeney
    OC-QBerry
    RG-Schoefield
    RT-Tevi

Steelers o-line in 2019
    LT-Villanueva
    RG-Foster
    OC-Pouncey
    RG-Decastro
    RT-Feiler

3 pro bowl o line players. And guess what 4 of 5 have played this year too. With only Foster replaced.

​​​​​​There is no comparison in terms of talent and health and consistency of o-line. 2019, 2020 Steelers are the more talent and healthier group.
    ​​​​​
    And defense
    Chargers had #14 defense and the least takeaways

Again, IMO, no comparison in terms of defensive talent. I think the Steelers are better. But again I think this is a front office thing, not a coaching issue.

Now if Chargers want to turn into a very aggressive blitz heavy defense then they certainly need to fire Gus. But if they want to be a rush 4 cover defense that doesn't blitz....then they need to keep stocking up on front 4 talent. Either way they need to supply plenty of pass rush talent for their system.

i think you have some of your own excuses/blame game.
    Point fingers at O-line. Stewart. Lynn. Etc as to why things aren't going well. And that is not a bad opinion at all. But it is still finger pointing excuse making. Your excuse is Gus/Stewart/Lynn and mine talent and health of talent and individual FG kicker performance.

Don't we first want both Lynn to have a better and more healthy o-line.
    Rivers didn't get one until he went to Colts.
    Maybe the same is true for Lynn, he needs to be fired and then hired by a new team where front office does build an o-line and defense and get clutch FG kicker. ...Because that was a problem before Lynn was ever hired. So the common denominator is not Lynn when those issued have been around the Spanos for a decade.

​​​Also, I have a feeling that if a guy like Balmer owned the Chargers, then Bosa holding out because of offset language never ever happens. And he easily could building his own stadium. As long as Spanos owns, I think the results may be elusive. But I still think Lynn/Herbert combo can work very well together if they stay together.

​​
    I'm not sure Lynn ever gets a head coaching job again after he gets fired by the Chargers. He has done nothing to warrant getting hired as a HC right away and would need to spend at least a couple of years as a coordinator somewhere first. The problem with that is that he has 14 games as an OC so what team will hire him in that position? If he goes back to what he is qualified for, RB coach, that isn't likely to lead to another HC job.

Comment

• Critty
      Dominate the Day.
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
      The Steelers were 8-8 with 2 qbs who have no business being on an NFL roster and beat us senseless at Carson. And yet Critty is saying LYnn could be successful at Pittsburgh and Tomlin not here? I’ve heard it all. If you don’t see the difference in these 2 men I can’t help
      Check the Steelers o-line talent and health in 2019.
      Check the Steelers FG kicking percentage in 2019.
      Check the Steelers Defense and takeaways in 2019.

And check them out in 2020.

That team only problem was QB. And one single position lack of talent caused them to lose half their games.

Insert a healthy Big Ben in 2020. That is the difference. Not Tomlin....Who I think is a great HC and similar to Lynn in his style.
      Tomlin had a very healthy o line with 3 pro bowlers
      Tomlin had a very talented defense rate #5 with most takeaways in the league. And he had very good FG kicking.
      And he has all that healthy talent in 2020. And again Steelers D is #3 and also is leading league in takeaways again. The defense they run was there before Tomlin arrived. He isn't doing anything but following Steelers traditional way. They have built great defense for decades in that organization.

I'm super confident if you put Lynn in place as Steelers HC, he is winning just like Tomlin. And if you put Tomlin here, you would be asking to fire him today.

Do you think the Chargers organization and ownership and front office is as good as Steelers? I don't. Give me the Steelers way over the Chargers way all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Is there any reason Spanos can't just say...we need to copy the Steelers way. Throw out Spanos way in the trash and copy Steelers. Build O-line. Build Defense and load up on pass rushers and blitz teams. They are allowed to do that. Telesco is allowed to say to them we have to focus on the trenches. We have to be an attacking defense. We have to load up on pass rushers. He can do that. They also can say, even if player had some off field issues in college, he is super talented and super fast and a play maker on the field, so if he is on the board, we are drafting him anyway. Nope, they put those players on the do not draft list and instead draft a player from Notre Dame.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Check the Steelers o-line talent and health in 2019.
        Check the Steelers FG kicking percentage in 2019.
        Check the Steelers Defense and takeaways in 2019.

And check them out in 2020.

That team only problem was QB. And one single position lack of talent caused them to lose half their games.

Insert a healthy Big Ben in 2020. That is the difference. Not Tomlin....Who I think is a great HC and similar to Lynn in his style.
        Tomlin had a very healthy o line with 3 pro bowlers
        Tomlin had a very talented defense rate #5 with most takeaways in the league. And he had very good FG kicking.
        And he has all that healthy talent in 2020. And again Steelers D is #3 and also is leading league in takeaways again. The defense they run was there before Tomlin arrived. He isn't doing anything but following Steelers traditional way. They have built great defense for decades in that organization.

I'm super confident if you put Lynn in place as Steelers HC, he is winning just like Tomlin. And if you put Tomlin here, you would be asking to fire him today.

Do you think the Chargers organization and ownership and front office is as good as Steelers? I don't. Give me the Steelers way over the Chargers way all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Is there any reason Spanos can't just say...we need to copy the Steelers way. Throw out Spanos way in the trash and copy Steelers. Build O-line. Build Defense and load up on pass rushers and blitz teams. They are allowed to do that. Telesco is allowed to say to them we have to focus on the trenches. We have to be an attacking defense. We have to load up on pass rushers. He can do that. They also can say, even if player had some off field issues in college, he is super talented and super fast and a play maker on the field, so if he is on the board, we are drafting him anyway. Nope, they put those players on the do not draft list and instead draft a player from Notre Dame.
        Im willing to take that test. I bet Tomlin fires Stewart in a bout 1 days time. Lynn can rehire him and be last in STs once more and ruin their kicker and fans in Pittsburgh upset with him. Maybe he can bring Tyrod with him too and name him the starter when Ben retires.

Spanos will never copy the Steelers way. Rooney put in a grass surface because his players wanted it. Spanos cant afford a grass field and wouldnt listen.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm not sure Lynn ever gets a head coaching job again after he gets fired by the Chargers. He has done nothing to warrant getting hired as a HC right away and would need to spend at least a couple of years as a coordinator somewhere first. The problem with that is that he has 14 games as an OC so what team will hire him in that position? If he goes back to what he is qualified for, RB coach, that isn't likely to lead to another HC job.
          ​​​​​​I think the issues are much more talent and health and experience/reps related than any coaching issue. Which is why I want to stick with Lynn for at least one more season. If I thought he had plenty of good fortune with health and enough talent, then I'm pointing the finger at the coaches for not getting it done. I just see flat tires on this vehicle right now and don't like blaming the HC. If I placing blame then I pointing at the front office for the state of things. In part because if it truly is coaches. The front office hired them. So the front office needs to fix it. Whether that talent on field or coaches. Until then I'm backing Lynn as I think he is trying to get a car with busted wheels to the finish line. And how he stays in the game against some of these teams who are much more talented and healthy, imo, it shows he can coach. And all it takes is one. Maybe the Texans hire him if Chargers dump him at end of year. Seems like he would be a good fit there.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• PR#1
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

:stirpot:
            Only 3 teams this season have not lost any game by more than one score.

Steelers 9-0
            Cheifs 8-1
            Chargers 2-7
            ​​​​​​
            Tomlin, Reid and Lynn.
            :Beer1:

*Note the Starting O and D, and FG kicker numbers*

Steelers
            13/22 started all 9 games.
            FG kicker has made 100%

Cheifs
            11/22 started all 9 games.
            FG kicker has made 88.2%

Chargers
            :help:
            7/22 started all 9 games.
            FG kicker has made 73.7%

Lynn has the power to cut Money Badger. At least invite some other kickers to practice and take a look and have an open competition.

That may put some fear into Badger to at least start kicking well even if he doesn't cut Badger and take on the new kicker.

At the end of the day, The Buck Stops with Lynn.

Comment

• PR#1
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

​​​​​​I think the issues are much more talent and health and experience/reps related than any coaching issue. Which is why I want to stick with Lynn for at least one more season. If I thought he had plenty of good fortune with health and enough talent, then I'm pointing the finger at the coaches for not getting it done. I just see flat tires on this vehicle right now and don't like blaming the HC. If I placing blame then I pointing at the front office for the state of things. In part because if it truly is coaches. The front office hired them. So the front office needs to fix it. Whether that talent on field or coaches. Until then I'm backing Lynn as I think he is trying to get a car with busted wheels to the finish line. And how he stays in the game against some of these teams who are much more talented and healthy, imo, it shows he can coach. And all it takes is one. Maybe the Texans hire him if Chargers dump him at end of year. Seems like he would be a good fit there.
              What is that Milli Vanili Song ? Blame it on the Rain ?

"What ever you do, dont put the blame on Lynn"

"Blame it on the Rain"

blame-it-on-the-rain.jpg
              Attached Files

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by PR#1 View Post

Lynn has the power to cut Money Badger. At least invite some other kickers to practice and take a look and have an open competition.

That may put some fear into Badger to at least start kicking well even if he doesn't cut Badger and take on the new kicker.

At the end of the day, The Buck Stops with Lynn.
                Stop with the cutting of money badger...we don't know if he's sketchy because of the special teams blocking. Should we cut the punter because he got his punt blocked in Miami's game. I don't see him like our super choker under Marty!

:Cheers1:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by Critty View Post

I keep in mind Gilman who said the teams that win stay healthy and interested.

​​​​​​Then I ask myself are Steelers and Chiefs having better health this year. And I ask do they have better front offices. Do they draft better. I know Steelers seems to know how to build defense and o-line. They been doing that since way before Tomlin arrived. I know that Chiefs will do a trade up for a QB even when they just had a successful year. I know Chiefs will draft a player with off field issue like Tyreek Hill as winning is a priority over a player being a Saint who goes to heaven. I suspect Tyreek is a no draft for Spanos. And I think they have better homefield advantage although this year it is a non factor. They also are not starting a rookie QB. So they likely have bigger playbook for their QB and more chemistry going for them. I suspect Herbert still has a lot to learn even though he has been very impressive. I've also see they are getting much better FG kicking. Steelers have 5 one score wins. I think the Steelers kicker being 100% on FG is helping to keep them undefeated. We saw Chiefs kicker make 58yd game winner to beat Chargers in OT. Badger would miss that the way he has kick this year.
                  ​​​​​
                  So I do think Lynn would be having success as a Steelers HC. He is their style of HC too. Wants to be physical and run the ball. Like Tomlin he doesn't call plays.

I don't think Reid would be happy working for Chargers. He would want players like Tyreek Hill. He would want to trade for a new QB and probably move on from Rivers right away as Rivers is not his style of QB. And he would say are we trying to win football games or get into heaven. What are we doing?!

So, I think yes Lynn is more successful with those franchised and Tomlin and Reid may struggle working under the Spanos way.

Lynn is doing his best in spite of the front office repeated failures.
                  Again, what a complete and total load of horse manure the above post is!

1. One potential complaint about Telesco is that he has traded up too often, not too infrequently. He traded up to select Gordon, Attaochu, Te'o and Murray. I think it would be very fair to state that the results of those trade ups have been mixed at best. The next time Telesco trades back will be his first.

2. We did not need to trade up to select the best QB in the 2020 NFL draft. He was there for us at #6 overall and Telesco did a great job of selecting him and not a player like Simmons, who I favored us taking (and was wrong about). There are probably about 25-30 teams that would take Herbert instead of their QB right now if they had the opportunity to do so. Yet, you keep mentioning that Herbert is a rookie QB as part of your pathetic BS argument that Lynn has had to deal with a tough hand. I think both Reid and Tomlin are 9-0 with our team right now because they are not idiots when it comes to game plans and in game coaching tactics like Lynn is. Reid, in particular, is the anti-Lynn in those respects. (The same could be said about Sean Payton.)

3. Our team has shown a willingness to consider players with domestic violence/violence issues. The team was known to have an interest in Joe Mixon, but the draft did not fall in such a way that we thought it was best to take him. Entering the 2017 draft, Lamp was considered as a potential first round talent and he was sitting there early in the second round, so we made the choice that appeared right at the time and took Lamp. I think just about every Chargers fan was excited about that pick when we made it. But that meant that we were not in a position to draft Mixon, not that we were unwilling to draft him or other players like him.

4. Tyreek Hill was selected with pick #165 in the 2016 NFL draft. Because of the Gordon trade up, we did not have a 5th round pick. Our last pick before Hill was #102 overall. Every team or nearly every team passed on Hill once and many passed on him twice after our last pick before Hill was selected. Baltimore passed on Hill six times between picks #102 and #165. I guess that makes Baltimore such a horribly run franchise that it exhonerates their head coach from being such a failure. Oh, wait a minute, John Harbaugh takes the players he has and uses smart coaching to try to get the best out of what his players do well instead of forcing his preferred approaches on his players even if they do not fit--completely unlike our idiotic head coach. (See Chargers versus Dolphins, November 15, 2020.)

5. You keep focusing on FG kicking, but fail to accept that most of the games should not have been in a position to be close games in the first place. Games that should have been blowout wins were turned into close games by bad in game coaching. The turtle conservative approach favored by Lynn absolutely cost us the games against TB, NO, DEN and MIA. Lynn refuses to change and his input is specifically what is driving this team into the ground. We should be calling more passes, not fewer passes, especially on first down.

6. The Chargers are one of the most talented teams in the NFL, but Lynn is arguably the worst head coach in the NFL. Lynn would insist on emphasizing turtle running plays with the Steelers and Chiefs and lose games for those teams just as he has lost them for us.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

I think the issues are much more talent and health and experience/reps related than any coaching issue.
                    I don't. We are a badly coached, underachieving team.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by DontEverGiveUp View Post

Nah, Rivers was the reason Lynn's team was crappy last year, remember?

Lynn let Gordon destroy our running game and locker room, fired the OC midseason to save his own butt, and then put all the remaining blame on Rivers. And many fans went right along with him, as if Lynn was actually a good head coach.

​​​​
                      The point was that all the final games were tough games. KC fans crapped in their pants in the 3rd quarter last year.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I'm sure

He was the running backs coach for teams that ran the football well. How much credit does a running backs coach generally get?

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Stop with the cutting of money badger...we don't know if he's sketchy because of the special teams blocking. Should we cut the punter because he got his punt blocked in Miami's game. I don't see him like our super choker under Marty!

:Cheers1:
                          I agree we dont need t talk about cutting him. I would though like to bring in some other kickers, not to sign them but to light a fire under his money grubbing ass.

Comment

Working...
                          X