Saints 8.5 Point Favorites Over The Chargers (WK 5 Pre-Game Discussion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beachcomber
    & ramblin' man
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

You are comfortable with Telesco, even though he hasn't shown a ability to fix this OL? Or do you worry will sign a even worse G.M? Because as it stands now Telesco has 2 playoff trips in his 8 seasons as General Manager. He will be selecting his 3rd H.C. Telesco's mentor Bill Polian wasn't even given that much time and he was winner by the time he came to the Colts.
    don't know if "comfortable" would be the word I'd choose, albeit yes.... do think he's the best guy for the job atm.

two things hugely in his favor.... he has unbelievable/near untouchable chemistry/affinity w/John Spanos, and post AJ his pr skills are a welcome breath of fresh air.

his drafts are getting better.... like alotta if not most GMs, he has left some talent on the table, and.... @least speaking for myself, the bar is set on hitting or missing, and not sure he didn't hit on all six picks last go 'round ?? and looking over his last few drafts, yes again he left some talent on the table, albeit again he seems to be having more hits than misses, and given that most GMs hit on about 50 percent of their picks, do think he's moving in the right direction.

and not worried 'bout selecting a worse GM, coz when it's time, it's time.... to pick a new GM, and for better or worse, and....

do agree that his achilles heel to date has been our lines.... have never understood our FO's proclivity for/propensity to sign undersized DTs and avoid NTs, 'til Joseph this year, and.... the Oline has been a near disaster, passing on near obvious talent in the draft, and overdrafting other less necessary talent in their lieu.... disappointed yes, and have been close to being over the TT show, and could very well find myself walking that line again ??

far as selecting head coaches, and in selecting talent in general for that matter, not sure that's been on him so much, as he (John) himself has clearly stated that he (young Spanos) is "heavily" involved in personnel decisions, and in the case of AL, eye suspect in charge of the HC decision as well.

McCoy seemed to be decision by committee, and Norv.... well, wish we had hired RR that go 'round.

so yeah, Telesco isn't overly inspiring as a talent evaluator guru, albeit he did pull the rabbit outta the proverbial hat w/Herbert.

he now needs that longterm/standing HC that can will this franchise beyond "chargering," and redefine what Charger football is.... (does anyone really know/have any idea these days ?)

and then yes, first order of biz is the lines and front seven.... preferably an OG, OC and OT, and good ones @that..... (sometimes easier said than done).

ps. am no fan of Polian.
    5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltgang74
      We Are The Storm!
      • Aug 2018
      • Send PM

Couldnt agree more ^^^^^

Comment

I think the point spread in favor of the Saints is a bit high unless they get Michael Thomas back this week. If Thomas is healthy, then 8.5 points in New Orleans is about right.

If a one-legged Mike Evans did what he did last week, I can only imagine what the best receiver in the NFL will do.

Comment

• jox g
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2020
          • Send PM

Herbert's good. He could be GREAT and be trained like Mahomes, Beady, Montana, Fouts, Rivers, Steve Young and SIT for a year (not the usual 3 bcuz he's accelerated.)
          93.0 was Ty Taylors QBR w/ NO receivers in Cle and Buff! Now he HAS WR's up the yin yang! Remember he played w/ BROKEN ribs the 1st game (and still won.)
          Lets see how he plays healthy. We have the best backup in the NFL right now in JH.

Comment

• electricgold
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2020
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

don't know if "comfortable" would be the word I'd choose, albeit yes.... do think he's the best guy for the job atm.

two things hugely in his favor.... he has unbelievable/near untouchable chemistry/affinity w/John Spanos, and post AJ his pr skills are a welcome breath of fresh air.

his drafts are getting better.... like alotta if not most GMs, he has left some talent on the table, and.... @least speaking for myself, the bar is set on hitting or missing, and not sure he didn't hit on all six picks last go 'round ?? and looking over his last few drafts, yes again he left some talent on the table, albeit again he seems to be having more hits than misses, and given that most GMs hit on about 50 percent of their picks, do think he's moving in the right direction.

and not worried 'bout selecting a worse GM, coz when it's time, it's time.... to pick a new GM, and for better or worse, and....

do agree that his achilles heel to date has been our lines.... have never understood our FO's proclivity for/propensity to sign undersized DTs and avoid NTs, 'til Joseph this year, and.... the Oline has been a near disaster, passing on near obvious talent in the draft, and overdrafting other less necessary talent in their lieu.... disappointed yes, and have been close to being over the TT show, and could very well find myself walking that line again ??

far as selecting head coaches, and in selecting talent in general for that matter, not sure that's been on him so much, as he (John) himself has clearly stated that he (young Spanos) is "heavily" involved in personnel decisions, and in the case of AL, eye suspect in charge of the HC decision as well.

McCoy seemed to be decision by committee, and Norv.... well, wish we had hired RR that go 'round.

so yeah, Telesco isn't overly inspiring as a talent evaluator guru, albeit he did pull the rabbit outta the proverbial hat w/Herbert.

he now needs that longterm/standing HC that can will this franchise beyond "chargering," and redefine what Charger football is.... (does anyone really know/have any idea these days ?)

and then yes, first order of biz is the lines and front seven.... preferably an OG, OC and OT, and good ones @that..... (sometimes easier said than done).

ps. am no fan of Polian.

The talent here is good enough to play with the Chiefs and hold their own... The problem we face is when we face a veteran HC we get outcoached. Talent on the Chargers to me is not the problem.

PS TT just drafted Justin Herbert, he gets an A for that.

Comment

• Biggestfan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Mar 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

The talent here is good enough to play with the Chiefs and hold their own... The problem we face is when we face a veteran HC we get outcoached. Talent on the Chargers to me is not the problem.

To a point I agree. I agree in the sense that mistakes and lack of effort are evident with alot of the players. I disagree on the talent being there when it comes to the trenches.

Comment

• Lyth
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

I agree. We have the talent to play with anyone.

We're out of shape. We come out at full speed, look like winners, but we're at half speed by the end of the game. That's on the coaches.

Playcalling seems to shift in to protect-the-lead way way too early. It's working. Attack. The coaches can say the team needs to learn how to finish opponents, but if you're going conservative it doesn't matter what the players do. That's on the coaches.

Vanilla defense. I know we have injuries, but you can protect weaker players with an aggressive scheme. Can't cover? Give them less time to throw. Blitzing is way out of Bradley's comfort zone, and when he does blitz it doesn't fool anyone. That's on the coaches.

We do seem to be badly out-coached.

As for the point spread, it's probably about right. 7 is probably more like it. We'll be up by 10 at the half and then tank the rest of the game. Herbert will go Superman and get us to within 7 but our D won't be able to stop NO as they eat up the last 5 minutes of the game.

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

I agree. We have the talent to play with anyone.

We're out of shape. We come out at full speed, look like winners, but we're at half speed by the end of the game. That's on the coaches.

Playcalling seems to shift in to protect-the-lead way way too early. It's working. Attack. The coaches can say the team needs to learn how to finish opponents, but if you're going conservative it doesn't matter what the players do. That's on the coaches.

Vanilla defense. I know we have injuries, but you can protect weaker players with an aggressive scheme. Can't cover? Give them less time to throw. Blitzing is way out of Bradley's comfort zone, and when he does blitz it doesn't fool anyone. That's on the coaches.

We do seem to be badly out-coached.

As for the point spread, it's probably about right. 7 is probably more like it. We'll be up by 10 at the half and then tank the rest of the game. Herbert will go Superman and get us to within 7 but our D won't be able to stop NO as they eat up the last 5 minutes of the game.
                  I agree with all you said except being out of shape, the second half of the games the play calling get either ultra conservative or ultra dumb and we get about three to five 3 plays or 4 plays and out and the D is right back on the field that's on the coaches

Comment

• Lyth
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post

I agree with all you said except being out of shape, the second half of the games the play calling get either ultra conservative or ultra dumb and we get about three to five 3 plays or 4 plays and out and the D is right back on the field that's on the coaches
                    True, but most games we're either even in TOP or ahead at halftime. We shouldn't be any worse off than the other team, but we seem to be. We had a freaking 10 minute drive in the 4th against KC and the D came out flat. If we played with the same energy in the second half of each game we'd be able to match 3-and-outs with anyone. If we could get those quick ending drives at any point after halftime it would benefit the offense too. Of course that might make this coaching staff even more conservative. At least 2 runs against an 8-9 man box and crazy pressure on third down would give the D a breather.

Comment

• PR#1
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2019
                      • Send PM

This one could get ugly early.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                        Pretty much retired......
                        • Sep 2018
                        • JoJa
                        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                        • Send PM

I took a Sunday off. Recorded the game and was going to watch it on Sunday night. I peeked at the score 3 times. Up by 14, down in the 3rd and we lost (by 7 or less AGAIN...). I finally watched the highlights today and I really do not see a future with Lynn.....I just don't.

The nice thing is that I have gone from playoff hopes to hoping for a better draft position. Zero expectations......all I want to do is watch Herbert play and HOPEfully not suffer a major injury.

So I'll watch Monday and hope we play respectable football. But truly I see another L coming so know I have no stress in watching this mess. Hopefully we get the #2 draft slot so we get the pick of the litter after Lawrence.

Bring on 2021

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ceramic View Post

I love misery. I feel like Cathy Bates has strapped me to the bed and will break my legs any moment now.
                          Welcome back....more of that humor, and less of the drama this time, eh?
                          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X