POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

One of the more important factors in a HC is what assistant's they can get. PFW once did a look at all the SB winning coaches, and EVERY team had at least 1 assistant coach who was highly regarded in addition to the HC. That goes back to the early SB teams like the Packer and Jets, who basically only had 2 or 3 assistants.

Maybe that is the best indication, ask anyone who is an aspiring HC who they think they can get as assistants.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      One of the more important factors in a HC is what assistant's they can get. PFW once did a look at all the SB winning coaches, and EVERY team had at least 1 assistant coach who was highly regarded in addition to the HC. That goes back to the early SB teams like the Packer and Jets, who basically only had 2 or 3 assistants.

Maybe that is the best indication, ask anyone who is an aspiring HC who they think they can get as assistants.
      So, looking at our assistant coaches, we have:

OC - Stitch - Never a HC. Never an OC at any level previously. He was only the QB coach for us before his promotion to OC. Doesn't exactly rise to the level of your "highly regarded" level.

DC - Gus - At least Bradley does have previous DC experience, with the Seahawks' famed "Legion of Boom" defense. Some people might argue that his personnel was superior enough to allow him to be successful. As a HC with the Jags, not to successful, with a record of 14–48 record in 4 seasons, after which, he was fired. Is it possible that with a couple of shutdown cover corners and both Derwin and Trank back, that Gus would do better? Probably. But what is disturbing to me about Bradley is that you have to adapt, improvise and overcome with the personnel you DO have. And, IMHO, Gus has shown he's terribly inept at game-planning and/or making in-game adjustments based on what the opposing O is showing. Players who have played for Bradley in the past, and present say the same thing about him: He just runs the same tired, old defense, week after week. I think he needs to retire. Stick a Thanksgiving fork in him...he's done...

Comment

• FoutsFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Birmingham AL
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

OC - Stitch - Never a HC. Never an OC at any level previously. He was only the QB coach for us before his promotion to OC. Doesn't exactly rise to the level of your "highly regarded" level.

DC - Gus - At least Bradley does have previous DC experience, with the Seahawks' famed "Legion of Boom" defense. Some people might argue that his personnel was superior enough to allow him to be successful. As a HC with the Jags, not to successful, with a record of 14–48 record in 4 seasons, after which, he was fired. Is it possible that with a couple of shutdown cover corners and both Derwin and Trank back, that Gus would do better? Probably. But what is disturbing to me about Bradley is that you have to adapt, improvise and overcome with the personnel you DO have. And, IMHO, Gus has shown he's terribly inept at game-planning and/or making in-game adjustments based on what the opposing O is showing. Players who have played for Bradley in the past, and present say the same thing about him: He just runs the same tired, old defense, week after week. I think he needs to retire. Stick a Thanksgiving fork in him...he's done...
        Bradly's D is much like Ryan's "46" it is great when you have all pro's everywhere but if you do not have glut of superior talent it does not work well. That also raises the question with that kind of talent would the defense be great no matter the scheme? For the most part any pro defensive coordinator if you give them a dearth of talent they will look great.

Comment

• beachcomber
          & ramblin' man
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

still think Shaw is the best fit, but wonder how good a HC he is, given that he is 0-2 this year, coming off of 4-8 last year, and his recruiting class this year is ranked twice as poorly as his last class.... are players not sold on his football/coaching chops ??

Toub is a solid in that there is no doubt that it will not be coaching that is at fault w/however our STs play, and.... if he can bring Kafka over w/him from KC, gotta think he's a pretty good mentor for JH10 ??

add in Phillips and/or, and.... ?? how do love us now ??
          Last edited by beachcomber; 11-23-2020, 10:14 PM.
          5/11 Fuaga, 37 Kamari Lassiter, 40 Sinnott, 67 Bralen Trice, 69 Cedric Gray, 105 Jaylen Wright, 110 Braelon Allen, 140 Joe Milton, 181 Khristian Boyd, Tylan Grable, 225 Daijun Edwards, 253 Miyan Williams

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Lol, well Spanos hires those that will keep the assistants he wants us to keep,... Like Steichen, he may want the new HC to keep that continuity which I think is BS and Steichen isn't highly regarded.
            Pep maybe but would he want to stay? Probably why we get the cheaper hires.

I assume they won't mind losing Gus.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Lol, well Spanos hires those that will keep the assistants he wants us to keep,... Like Steichen, he may want the new HC to keep that continuity which I think is BS and Steichen isn't highly regarded.
              Pep maybe but would he want to stay? Probably why we get the cheaper hires.

I assume they won't mind losing Gus.
              Especially at an airport in a foreign country that doesn't speak English!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

I've been catching up on watching classic Star Trek episodes and just watched this episode which profoundly exemplifies leadership qualities in Officers perfectly...here's the clip about real capability!

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

Haha no, didn’t mean for us.
                  Sorry, wrong thread.
                  just thinking about the Belicheat tree giving me more hope for my guy McDaniels.
                  embarrassed a bit that I didn’t finish the connection

Every week I find myself drooling over other coaches
                  Josh McD wouldn't be a bad choice if Dean and the Org feel like "my god we have to have a mentor for Herbert" so lets hire another OC type. I think he has had time since Denver to mature. No doubt he has ran many different types of offenses in NE.

He is not on my short list but if they want offense, I sure as hell would call Josh over Kellen Moore, Joe Brady and Arthur Smith. I will put Josh back on my list

Jim Caldwell, Dave Toub, David Shaw, Josh McDaniels and Pagano/Allen/Schwartz/Bowles (pick your once fired DC type)

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Josh McD wouldn't be a bad choice if Dean and the Org feel like "my god we have to have a mentor for Herbert" so lets hire another OC type. I think he has had time since Denver to mature. No doubt he has ran many different types of offenses in NE.

He is not on my short list but if they want offense, I sure as hell would call Josh over Kellen Moore, Joe Brady and Arthur Smith. I will put Josh back on my list

Jim Caldwell, Dave Toub, David Shaw, Josh McDaniels and Pagano/Allen/Schwartz/Bowles (pick your once fired DC type)
                    after what McDaniels did to the Colts, he hasnt matured.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                      still think Shaw is the best fit, but wonder how good a HC he is, given that he is 0-2 this year, coming off of 4-8 last year, and his recruiting class this year is ranked twice as poorly as his last class.... are players not sold on his football/coaching chops ??

Toub is a solid in that there is no doubt that it will not be coaching that is at fault w/however our STs play, and.... if he can bring Kafka over w/him from KC, gotta think he's a pretty good mentor for JH10 ??

add in Phillips and/or, and.... ?? how do love us now ??
                      I am not down on Shaw - might be a good time to hire him as others might not be an enamored with him. He probably can still coach

I doubt Toub would be able to bring Kafka because if Bieniemy gets a HC job - Big Andy probably promotes Kakfa to OC

I still am not sure Lynn gets fired. But after the Jets game - he should be.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

after what McDaniels did to the Colts, he hasnt matured.
                        Be more positive?
                        P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                        P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                        P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                        P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

You forgot to include George Stewart Topcat.

He should be fired today. Lynn already set a precedent with the firing of Whiz last year around this time.

Whiz was respected among the coaching community. I wonder what the bone of contention was with him?

Chargers went to two playoffs in 3 1/2 years with him.

Comment

Working...
                          X