POLL: Who Should Be The Chargers' Next Head Coach?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
    Urban Meyer is unrealistic imo
    if he could/would coach again, I think it's in college, sad for him.

What's the latest word on Saban?
    I have always felt that all the success in college wouldn't be enough to distract him from the reality that
    he has never succeeded in the NFL.
    depending on his competitiveness, he may want to try his hand again
    no better setup than here in LA with an already forming superstar in JH
    Saban was the HC of the Dolphins and quit on them. He was the HC when Brees was a FA and it was the Dolphins and the Saints that were interested. Ultimately the Dophins werent all in on him.

So im a NO for Saban. He is best suited for college. It just wasnt the same for him in the NFL and having Dean as your owner? Doubt he would be interested.

Comment

• Attack
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

The team looked awful against the fins while being healthier than we’ve been in awhile.
      I doubt we make a mid season change but am coming around to that being the decision in the offseason.

Short list.........

U. Meyer (health may preclude him)
      B. Kelly
      E. Bieniemy
      B. Schottenheimer
      D. Toub
      D. Martindale

D. Coordinator........

B. Venerables
      R. Milus
      J. Leonard
      C. Lea
      T. Austin
      K. Steele
      I like Matt Campbell at Iowa State. He has proven that he can win at a smaller school, and at a larger school with lesser talent. He has to be able to motivate his players and be disciplined to be able to beat the better, more talented teams that he is facing. He's been a head coach for 9 yrs, yet is still young at 40 yrs old. He played D-line in college, and has coached on the offense, so is pretty well rounded. I'd take a shot at him as far as college head coach candidates. He may get scooped up by a big university at year end though, so would need to put out feelers soon.

Comment

• Charge!
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Here is a BR report on potential new HC's:

Summer is a hopeful time of year for NFL head coaches. No one has to worry about the temperature of their chair or getting put on blast on the radio. Not yet, anyway. Soon enough, the pressure will start to build on coaches...

Shaw might be a good choice from college who has some pro experience. Offensive guy who also wants strong defense.

Hamilton for OC to work with JH since he seems to be doing a great job of that, but I assume Shaw will want to choose his own staff as most good HC's would.

McDaniels scares me like others have said..... but bellycheat has kept him for many years..... so there must be something good about him.

Bienemy works for Reid, but there is zero evidence that Bienemy creates or calls the plays..... Reid still appears to be calling the games i have seen.....

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I do think McD would be a good mentor for Herbert. But a good HC, look at Vrabel and Flores, and what they are doing with Tannehill and Tua. They have good assistant coaches. So this idea that if Lynn is fired they need an offensive guy, well to me, thats stupid and short sighted.

I like the idea of Josh though because he keeps adapting that Patriot offense. Maybe thats partly Bill - but maybe thats him too

But like I said, Schwartz, Bowles, Dennis Allen (forgot about him as I link him with McCoy so much) - Josh - these all would be their second job so a chance to fix or change how they would do things.
          We do need an offensive minded guy as HC...... 99 percent of defensive coaches are conservative and just dont want their offense to make any mistakes.

Most offensive coaches want an aggressive high scoring offense and they usually want an aggressive defense that makes QB's lives hell.....

Just list the greatest HC's in NFL history and most of them are great offensive minds (bellycheat is the rare defensive guy who wants his offense to score over 30 per game).

You seem to like conservative old school coaches like Marty (who was clueless how to win playoff games... he was only good at beating bad teams in regular season)..... and Lynn is like him..... he loved Taylor who cannot score points...... and after we ran for 200 against raiders (and lost), Lynn now thinks we can do that to any team, and he tried to against MIA. He was really unprepared to throw the ball against MIA......

Look for another futile conservative running attack against NYJ..... and a very low scoring close win or loss...... decided by one play like a holding call, PI, or missed kick.....

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Send PM

I would recommend Jim Caldwell if looking for someone still coaching in pro football as he has proven to be competent leading the Colts to the Superbowl, and turning around the Lions and taking them to the playoffs and breaking a very long drought there. He's also likely to keep Pep Hamilton on the staff.

Otherwise, I'd prefer Jim Harbaugh as we know what he can do with talent, or Josh Boyer, the defensive coordinator for the Dolphins.

Comment

• JOJAX85
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Irmo, SC
              • Send PM

Honestly, I'm not thrilled with anyone on the list. My Don't want list is: McDaniels, Meyer, Saban
              ​I guess I can see why some are enamored with Bieniemy. Former Bolt, the new hot OC, but sometimes the step up from a Coordinator job is disastrous as a HC.
              My 2 are very long shots:. Dungy, Lincoln Riley

Comment

• floydefisher
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2013
                • siberiacuse, ny
                • Send PM

Why would you not want Eric Bieniemy? Are we against people who played on the Chargers Super Bowl team?
                sigpic

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
                  I would recommend Jim Caldwell if looking for someone still coaching in pro football as he has proven to be competent leading the Colts to the Superbowl, and turning around the Lions and taking them to the playoffs and breaking a very long drought there. He's also likely to keep Pep Hamilton on the staff.

Otherwise, I'd prefer Jim Harbaugh as we know what he can do with talent, or Josh Boyer, the defensive coordinator for the Dolphins.
                  He has taken Michigan to a very dark place. Hard pass!
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• JOJAX85
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Irmo, SC
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
                    Why would you not want Eric Bieniemy? Are we against people who played on the Chargers Super Bowl team?
                    If that's the only reason you want him, it's probably not going to work out well.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

We do need an offensive minded guy as HC...... 99 percent of defensive coaches are conservative and just dont want their offense to make any mistakes.

Most offensive coaches want an aggressive high scoring offense and they usually want an aggressive defense that makes QB's lives hell.....

Just list the greatest HC's in NFL history and most of them are great offensive minds (bellycheat is the rare defensive guy who wants his offense to score over 30 per game).

You seem to like conservative old school coaches like Marty (who was clueless how to win playoff games... he was only good at beating bad teams in regular season)..... and Lynn is like him..... he loved Taylor who cannot score points...... and after we ran for 200 against raiders (and lost), Lynn now thinks we can do that to any team, and he tried to against MIA. He was really unprepared to throw the ball against MIA......

Look for another futile conservative running attack against NYJ..... and a very low scoring close win or loss...... decided by one play like a holding call, PI, or missed kick.....
                      I never considered the personalities of offensive bs defensive minded coaches, but that makes sense.
                      if what you say can be supprted by good evidence then I’m even MORE convinced it has to be an offensive guy.
                      rules will only continue to support scoring and favor aggression
                      Herbert has the tools to run a hyper aggressive attack that at worst can have a chance to come back (ala Chiefs)

my motto, if you can’t win for me, fucking entertain me!

edit: Patriots OC in 2007... you guessed it, Joshy.
                      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

He has taken Michigan to a very dark place. Hard pass!
                        Eh, I don't know enough about the situation in Michigan, but he did very well at Stanford with Luck and showed his ability to seemingly assemble a great staff at every level. We all know the turnaround job he did with the 49ers, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
                          Why do you want him?

Comment

Working...
                          X