Popper: How Can The Spanos Family Not Overhaul The Bolts Now?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

Kind of like Lynn sticking up for his ST's coach and friend...... ST's have been horrible for years.... just like our defense has been horrible for years..... yet no real changes.... because ownership does not care..... win or lose they make same amount of money......
    I think they do care a lot and want to win - they just don't know how...

Comment

• SDBORN
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If they wanted to truly win, they would have realized by now that they need to hire someone who knows how to win and is proven at doing so.

Every one of their last 3 head coaching decisions was either a proven loser, or a guy with basically no HC experience.

Cheap is what it looks like to me.
      ​​​​​

​​

Comment

• chris9341
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
        Time to do some soul searching... not the owners or coaches or players... but the fan.

Do I really want to be a fan of this franchise... owned by incompetent, disinterested owners?

We've all known that Special Teams has been a disaster for at least several weeks now, but the problems aren't getting fixed, they're getting worse!

There's no accountability. Coaches don't get fired, they get reassigned! The culture is soft.

Chargers "would prefer to evaluate everything at the end of the year." But you don't need to wait because the results are already in! Worst Special Teams in History!

By not acting, it shows me the fan, that they are OKAY with having the "worst Special Teams in history" and one of the biggest blowout shutouts at home.

If that's not enough to change the culture, then nothing is.

If the cycle simply starts again, at what point do I the fan say "I see what's going on here, and I've had enough!"?
        If you have to question yourself if you can still be a fan of this team for any reason just simply means that you were never a true fan in the first place. That goes for anyone who thinks like that.

Comment

• 21&500
          Bolt Spit-Baller
          • Sep 2018
          • A Whale's Vajayjay
          • CMB refugee
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

If you have to question yourself if you can still be a fan of this team for any reason just simply means that you were never a true fan in the first place. That goes for anyone who thinks like that.
          Idk if I necessary agree but I do find it ironic when people criticize the culture as “soft” AND talk about “having enough” in the same post, especially after just hitting rock bottom

no offense future quitters but
          go soul search on your own time
          im busy figuring out how to fix this mess
          it’s going to be a long road outta hell
          Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
            Outback Goon
            • Sep 2018
            • Australia
            • Send PM

I became a fan when i moved to SD in 1998. 2000 was an awful year. Still a fan today. This year is also awful

Comment

• Jagged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Omaha, Nebraska
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

This is the impression I get also, but it also seems like they have an outsiders template for success (from their other businesses) that they try to impose on their NFL operations that doesn’t work. (Just an impression I get, I could never prove it.)

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chris9341 View Post

Meh....they just venting. One of the 5 stages of Charger grief after a loss...

1. Anger..."What the fuck, we lost again?"
                2. Blame..."Fucking coach, fucking ownership..."
                3. Denial..."I'm done being a fan of this franchise...done I tell you!!"
                4. Shame...."Sorry I blew up everyone...I'm just so sick of this shit..."
                5. Forgiveness..."Win or lose, I will always be a fan...loyal to the end!"

Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• BigBad
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

As much as everyone hates Dean Spanos, he did hire John Butler who brought AJ Smith with him. Those two filled the team with immense talent but mostly swung and missed on coaches. The team won over 100 games in 10 years, they just didn't have playoff success which is usually coaching and staying healthy(HUGE problem here).

With Telesco I cant tell if he drafted really bad or he drafted average and our inept coaching cant develop anyone.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDBORN View Post

If they wanted to truly win, they would have realized by now that they need to hire someone who knows how to win and is proven at doing so.

Every one of their last 3 head coaching decisions was either a proven loser, or a guy with basically no HC experience.

Cheap is what it looks like to me.
                    ​​​​​

​​
                    The irony is before they hired TT and McCoy they did enlist Ron Wolf to help with the research and interview processes. Looking back at an old article, I did uncover this gem:

John Spanos said he didn't have final say on the hiring of McCoy — who also received a contract extension last January -- but will so on identifying the next head coach.
                    In case anyone still wondered if TT or Spanos had the final say on hiring Lynn.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
                      As much as everyone hates Dean Spanos, he did hire John Butler who brought AJ Smith with him. Those two filled the team with immense talent but mostly swung and missed on coaches. The team won over 100 games in 10 years, they just didn't have playoff success which is usually coaching and staying healthy(HUGE problem here).

With Telesco I cant tell if he drafted really bad or he drafted average and our inept coaching cant develop anyone.
                      I think he has drafted overall average - some good, some bad. Free agency is a mixed bag. But the coaching (both in terms of player development, meaning, TEACHING football and the Gameday decisions) are holding the team back

If Lynn is fired and Telesco gets a third crack at this - I am not sure I trust him to make the right decision. Truly - I do have concerns if Telesco is involved (hence, I kind of hope he fulfills his love of Notre Dame with Kelly - I think it would be a solid sensible choice)

As for the Spanii - I think they do want to win and care. They just don't know how - they are obtuse, or dense or just lack common sense. If they truly wanted to win, they need to get out of the building. Maybe Johnny D wants to be a Football GM/VP OPs type - but he just isn't qualified. And thats the problem.

Like Dean hired Mark Fabiani for the stadium. Fabiani is like a crisis guy. He had a guy in San Diego, in Jim Steeg who worked the NFL, knew what buttons to push, people to talk too. Its that kind of stuff about Dean. He lacks business acumen I think.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                        I became a fan when i moved to SD in 1998. 2000 was an awful year. Still a fan today. This year is also awful
                        Same here. I became a fan when we moved to SD in 1996. Yup I remember 2000 was awful. It was two years into the Leaf debacle. At least this year we have a legitimate qb we can build on.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think he has drafted overall average - some good, some bad. Free agency is a mixed bag. But the coaching (both in terms of player development, meaning, TEACHING football and the Gameday decisions) are holding the team back

If Lynn is fired and Telesco gets a third crack at this - I am not sure I trust him to make the right decision. Truly - I do have concerns if Telesco is involved (hence, I kind of hope he fulfills his love of Notre Dame with Kelly - I think it would be a solid sensible choice)

As for the Spanii - I think they do want to win and care. They just don't know how - they are obtuse, or dense or just lack common sense. If they truly wanted to win, they need to get out of the building. Maybe Johnny D wants to be a Football GM/VP OPs type - but he just isn't qualified. And thats the problem.

Like Dean hired Mark Fabiani for the stadium. Fabiani is like a crisis guy. He had a guy in San Diego, in Jim Steeg who worked the NFL, knew what buttons to push, people to talk too. Its that kind of stuff about Dean. He lacks business acumen I think.
                          Something I posted in another thread about the hiring of Lynn that I'm sure still applies to our next head coach:

John Spanos said he didn't have final say on the hiring of McCoy — who also received a contract extension last January -- but will so on identifying the next head coach.

Comment

Working...
                          X