• Show
Clear All
  • PORTERPARTY1
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Aug 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
    Belicheck = Genius.

Is Daboll one? How about Arthur Smith? Efferblus? Bienemy? Urban (unproven in NFL, potential bad health Meyer), Saleh? He's just fired up but we need SMARTS in this league. Anyone can be fired up. Brandon Staley? Joe Brady? Young.

Chargers did better w former coaches: Norv, Marty, Bobby Ross HC College.
    New Coaches: McCoy, Lynn, Al Saunders, Gilbride, Dan Henning, June Jones.

It was SMART to bring in a SMART former HC in Garret. In him, Herbert would have a Belicheck type. Garret NEVER had a genius QB before.
    It's worth a shot at Garret (from Princeton University)/Herbert being similar to Belicheck/Brady.

It's a much clearer vision. He could keep PEP. Hire a STUD DC and ST coach. Solid upgrade. Won't make boneheaded play calls/mismanagement of time that's for sure.
    Makes a lot of sense, don't have to learn HC job on fly. Runs 4/3 where our personnel is now and don't mess with OC/QB situation. Upgrade and experienced.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
      When I saw this from Manzano it actually gave me hope. All things equal - meaning resumes - how is it that Daboll only has two interviews and some other candidates have more. Bienemy with his personal issues (multiple arrests) has more interviews - maybe because he is black to meet the Rooney Rule.

But Daboll compared to Smith and Brady - he has more experience as an OC than both combined - he has been an OC 7 years in the NFL and one year at Alabama.

So I do wonder if the teams around the league know its a done deal with the Chargers.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
        Belicheck = Genius.

Is Daboll one? How about Arthur Smith? Efferblus? Bienemy? Urban (unproven in NFL, potential bad health Meyer), Saleh? He's just fired up but we need SMARTS in this league. Anyone can be fired up. Brandon Staley? Joe Brady? Young.

Chargers did better w former coaches: Norv, Marty, Bobby Ross HC College.
        New Coaches: McCoy, Lynn, Al Saunders, Gilbride, Dan Henning, June Jones.

It was SMART to bring in a SMART former HC in Garret. In him, Herbert would have a Belicheck type. Garret NEVER had a genius QB before.
        It's worth a shot at Garret (from Princeton University)/Herbert being similar to Belicheck/Brady.

It's a much clearer vision. He could keep PEP. Hire a STUD DC and ST coach. Solid upgrade. Won't make boneheaded play calls/mismanagement of time that's for sure.
        I agree with a lot of this. And if not for Brian Daboll, of the 8 candidates on the list, Jason Garrett probably is the second on the list as of today because of eveything you mention - having the experience of previous coaching knowledge

I have been preaching that for the Chargers previous experience is huge. Hell I wanted them at one point to interview Jim Caldwell, and either Chuck Pagano or Dennis Allen. Daboll has not been a head coach but maybe aside from Gilbride -- he had much more experience as an OC than guys like Saunders, McCoy and Lynn. Also he has been at the top with the Patriots and Alabama, but he has also worked been through some tough times with Cleveland, KC and Miami.

Daboll is my guy but if for some reason he isn't and Garrett could bring in a solid DC - Kris Richard, I am good with him as a fallback.

Comment

• electricgold
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2020
          • Send PM

The Bills are gonna beat the heck out of the Colts right?? Let me get this straight there is a chance that the Philip Rivers led Colts beat the Bills today and after that game we are going to hire Daboll the former Bills OC, (just like Lynn), after getting knocked out of the 1st round of the playoffs? You can't make this stuff up? Its never going to go down like this right? Right?

If we are going to hire a OC, the choice is clear. Josh Mcdaniels > Daboll. However if we hire Daboll which looks like it probably will happen, here we go again.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
            The Bills are gonna beat the heck out of the Colts right?? Let me get this straight there is a chance that the Philip Rivers led Colts beat the Bills today and after that game we are going to hire Daboll the former Bills OC, (just like Lynn), after getting knocked out of the 1st round of the playoffs? You can't make this stuff up? Its never going to go down like this right? Right?

If we are going to hire a OC, the choice is clear. Josh Mcdaniels > Daboll. However if we hire Daboll which looks like it probably will happen, here we go again.
            Brian Daboll has been an OC in the NFL for 7 years, four organizations and one year at Alabama; McCoy was an OC for 4 years; Lynn was an OC for 1 year.

I totally get what you mean by needing experience - but I do think Dabolls experience is much more than the previous two head coaches

I still do hope they talk to Urban Meyer though.

Comment

• Inforfun
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Send PM

A Bills Friend told me that Tom Telesco and Daboll went to High School together in Buffalo. If true could be great fit. After Herberts year, I would think everyone in looking to Be a HC is begging for an Interview.

PS. Maybe Rivers can help the Chargers out today. Go Indy.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I agree with a lot of this. And if not for Brian Daboll, of the 8 candidates on the list, Jason Garrett probably is the second on the list as of today because of eveything you mention - having the experience of previous coaching knowledge

I have been preaching that for the Chargers previous experience is huge. Hell I wanted them at one point to interview Jim Caldwell, and either Chuck Pagano or Dennis Allen. Daboll has not been a head coach but maybe aside from Gilbride -- he had much more experience as an OC than guys like Saunders, McCoy and Lynn. Also he has been at the top with the Patriots and Alabama, but he has also worked been through some tough times with Cleveland, KC and Miami.

Daboll is my guy but if for some reason he isn't and Garrett could bring in a solid DC - Kris Richard, I am good with him as a fallback.
                Garrett was HC for Dallas for ten years and they only went to the playoffs a couple of times. Is that what your hope is for the Chargers?
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Phil Rivers just said on national TV, he wanted to be a part of a team that had a chance to win the Superbowl and a organization that has high standards...

Pretty much a shot at the Chargers....... Wow, back to the new coach hunt.

Comment

• Classic
                    Hall Of Fame
                    • Dec 2014
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Garrett was HC for Dallas for ten years and they only went to the playoffs a couple of times. Is that what your hope is for the Chargers?
                    Chargers have been so bad this previous decade at HC that fans are now longing for Norv 2.0

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Chargers have been so bad this previous decade at HC that fans are now longing for Norv 2.0
                      In the middle of the season I was wanting Norv 1.0 back!!!!

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                        Phil Rivers just said on national TV, he wanted to be a part of a team that had a chance to win the Superbowl and a organization that has high standards...

Pretty much a shot at the Chargers....... Wow, back to the new coach hunt.
                        LOL about Irsay and his high standards.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

If we hire Norv again as HC i think id quit this team.

Comment

Working...
                          X