• Show
Clear All
  • Boltjolt
    Dont let the PBs fool ya
    • Jun 2013
    • Henderson, NV
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
    Phil Rivers just said on national TV, he wanted to be a part of a team that had a chance to win the Superbowl and a organization that has high standards...

Pretty much a shot at the Chargers....... Wow, back to the new coach hunt.
    Or maybe that is a pitch to the owner to resign him for another season. I can see both actually.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Garrett was HC for Dallas for ten years and they only went to the playoffs a couple of times. Is that what your hope is for the Chargers?
      Its a tough decision - I do know this - for the Chargers - more experience is usually better than nominal experience based on the track record of the organization.

Garrett wasn't my first choice but of the 8 names - he is my second choice behind Daboll

I still prefer Harbaugh or Urban Meyer along with Daboll but Harbaugh isn't happening and it doesn't look like Urban will either

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
        Belicheck = Genius.

Is Daboll one? How about Arthur Smith? Efferblus? Bienemy? Urban (unproven in NFL, potential bad health Meyer), Saleh? He's just fired up but we need SMARTS in this league. Anyone can be fired up. Brandon Staley? Joe Brady? Young.

Chargers did better w former coaches: Norv, Marty, Bobby Ross HC College.
        New Coaches: McCoy, Lynn, Al Saunders, Gilbride, Dan Henning, June Jones.

It was SMART to bring in a SMART former HC in Garret. In him, Herbert would have a Belicheck type. Garret NEVER had a genius QB before.
        It's worth a shot at Garret (from Princeton University)/Herbert being similar to Belicheck/Brady.

It's a much clearer vision. He could keep PEP. Hire a STUD DC and ST coach. Solid upgrade. Won't make boneheaded play calls/mismanagement of time that's for sure.
        Belichick was smarter when his QB was named Tom. Any HC will lose with a bad QB in today’s NFL. This is why LAC is by far the most attractive open job imo. Never mind all of those fanatic A-list celebrities glomming onto the Chargers and inviting coaches to concerts, movie debuts, and playmate orgies.

Oh ... wait. Maybe that will come later.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Belichick was smarter when his QB was named Tom. Any HC will lose with a bad QB in today’s NFL. This is why LAC is by far the most attractive open job imo. Never mind all of those fanatic A-list celebrities glomming onto the Chargers and inviting coaches to concerts, movie debuts, and playmate orgies.

Oh ... wait. Maybe that will come later.
          Belichick did well with QBs named Garropolo and Cassell as well.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Belichick did well with QBs named Garropolo and Cassell as well.
            HeatMiser brought it up somewhere on this forum - look at the QBs Daboll has coached. It hasn't all been unicorns and rainbows. He has had a variety of QBs to work with.

Many years as an OC, many different teams and coaches to learn from, not always good times but some rough seasons to grow and learn - he should be the pick

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

HeatMiser brought it up somewhere on this forum - look at the QBs Daboll has coached. It hasn't all been unicorns and rainbows. He has had a variety of QBs to work with.

Many years as an OC, many different teams and coaches to learn from, not always good times but some rough seasons to grow and learn - he should be the pick
              Im just not going to get too excited about anybody yet as that way im not disapointed lol. There are some id be OK with and support,....even Garrett but he is the least id prefer.

Comment

• jox g
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Ok here's my revision. I'm the guy that voted for Garret (genius status). Posted this on Chargers.com for them to see.
                  • Dean and TT:

When you hire, it must be a combo factor in mind. Who is the BEST/smartest coach (not just coordinator) you can pair effectively w/ Herbert?

Who is smarter than Jason Garret? Maybe Belicheck. Who is considered a SMART QB out there right now? Brady, Brees.
                    Imagine a combo similar to these "geniuses" Belicheck/Brady
                    Sean Peyton/Drew Brees: Jason (Mr. Princeton) Garret/ Herbert. Powerful. Is anyone else out there as SMART as that combo? Is Dabol?. Is Joe Brady (similar to a McCoy, Kevin Gilbride), Bienemy (Andy Reid calls shots). Meyer (unproven in NFL/health concerns.) BOLTS don't need any HEALTH CONCERNS! Saleh as smart as Garret? Brandon Staley (maybe, yes him!). Staley has the #1 Defense out of 32!

In the past, the BOLTS have hired 1st year coaches/ex coordinators: Al Saunders, Dan Henning, Kevin Gilbride, McCoy, Lynn. How'd they do? Reminds me of Arthur Smith, Brady, Bienemy
                    Hired ex HCs: Bobby Ross, (Ross had 4 yrs Def experience, 4 yrs Off experience , 2 yrs ST experience from college, 10 yrs HC experience), Schottenheimer, Norv = MUCH higher win%
                    Reminds me of J. Garret types.

Candidates out there with Offense and Defense Experience: Brandon Staley was a QB in college. Defensive guy. Special Teams 1 yr. #1 Defense in NFL. Meteoric riser from John Carrol. Football U.
                    That's an ELITE HC foundation with that kind of experience in all 3 phases of the game!!!

Whatever you do hope (new HC you interview) bring back Pep Hamilton at least. A McVay of the defense I keep hearing. Would you have hired McVay himself? I would have. Brandon Staley is a solid candidate along with Garret. A genius also to pair w/ Herbert (Belicheck was a Defensive genius.) Only TWO defenses held Brady to weak numbers this year. He was one of them along w/ Dennis Allen of the Saints. (He should be interviewed at least too.) Daboll: 2 yrs on Defense, no ST. I would rank Staley above him. Staley could help shut down/contain the Chefs, Bills, Ravens etc...

Remember, Belicheck was a 2nd time coach! So is Garret and Dennis Allen.
                    So the "genius" candidates I rank in this order to pair w/ Herbert based on the data above:
                    1a. Dennis Allen (EX HC, Defense experience, learned 6 yrs under an Offensive genius in Sean Peyton.). Lombardi worked wonders w/ Brees, Bridgewater (5-0 in Brees's absence), Taysom Hill. Again, only he and Brandon Staley SHUT down genius Tom Brady this year. Brady had a PRO BOWL type of 102.2 passer rating. 40 TD's. 4,600+ yards this year!
                    1b. Brandon Staley - Genius at 38 years old having #1 defense in NFL. That's big.
                    2. Jason Garret - Genius to pair w/ Herbert.
                    3. Daboll (worked w/ genius BB for 17 years.)...Don't like him running our QB SO much like he did Josh Allen vs the Colts.
                    4. Saleh (only bcuz Bolts haven't done well hiring 1st time Offensive types.) They did well having a Bobby Ross, and intense Don Coryell type before and he's just that. Plus, he can win with 3rd stringers. Don't know how he'll do against geniuses in the playoffs like going against Belicheck, John Harbaugh, Daboll/Josh Allen, Reid/ Mahomes. I don't classify Saleh as a genius.

I think you can win Superbowl with any of the top 4 above. I think Saleh can get you into the P.O's but don't know how hel'll do against smart competition in the tournament Tie breaker?
                    I would hire the one who keeps Pep (at least.) The coaches I mentioned below are all solid too!

CONCLUSION:
                    HIRE A GENIUS (preferably a former HC due to your success history) to pair w/ Herbert the way it is Reid/ Mahomes, Peyton /Brees. Belicheck/Brady (BB a Defense guy.)

Telesco said it's "not simple." (Just cuz we went one way before doesn't mean we go the opposite way.) However, it IS more simple than he thinks based on the data complied here.

Go BOLTS!
                Last edited by jox g; 01-09-2021, 03:44 PM.

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Its a tough decision - I do know this - for the Chargers - more experience is usually better than nominal experience based on the track record of the organization.

Garrett wasn't my first choice but of the 8 names - he is my second choice behind Daboll

I still prefer Harbaugh or Urban Meyer along with Daboll but Harbaugh isn't happening and it doesn't look like Urban will either
                  Or we could look at it like OK IF Daboll & the Bills put together a game plan that actually beats KC then OK put him at the top of the list.... However, IF The Bills lose to the Chiefs do we still hire Daboll as our HC after he got beat by the team we need to beat, and once again believe we now have a winning culture?

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Ok here's my revision. I'm the guy that voted for Garret (genius status). Posted this on Chargers.com for them to see.
                      • Dean and TT:

When you hire, it must be a combo factor in mind. Who is the BEST/smartest coach (not just coordinator) you can pair effectively w/ Herbert?

Who is smarter than Jason Garret? Maybe Belicheck. Who is considered a SMART QB out there right now? Brady, Brees.
                        Imagine a combo similar to these "geniuses" Belicheck/Brady
                        Sean Peyton/Drew Brees: Jason (Mr. Princeton) Garret/ Herbert. Powerful. Is anyone else out there as SMART as that combo? Is Dabol?. Is Joe Brady (similar to a McCoy, Kevin Gilbride), Bienemy (Andy Reid calls shots). Meyer (unproven in NFL/health concerns.) BOLTS don't need any HEALTH CONCERNS! Saleh as smart as Garret? Brandon Staley (maybe, yes him!). Staley has the #1 Defense out of 32!

In the past, the BOLTS have hired 1st year coaches/ex coordinators: Al Saunders, Dan Henning, Kevin Gilbride, McCoy, Lynn. How'd they do? Reminds me of Arthur Smith, Brady, Bienemy
                        Hired ex HCs: Bobby Ross, (Ross had 4 yrs Def experience, 4 yrs Off experience , 2 yrs ST experience from college, 10 yrs HC experience), Schottenheimer, Norv = MUCH higher win%
                        Reminds me of J. Garret types.

Candidates out there with Offense and Defense Experience: Brandon Staley was a QB in college. Defensive guy. Special Teams 1 yr. #1 Defense in NFL. Meteoric riser from John Carrol. Football U.
                        That's an ELITE HC foundation with that kind of experience in all 3 phases of the game!!!

Whatever you do hope (new HC you interview) bring back Pep Hamilton at least. A McVay of the defense I keep hearing. Would you have hired McVay himself? I would have. Brandon Staley is a solid candidate along with Garret. A genius also to pair w/ Herbert (Belicheck was a Defensive genius.) Only TWO defenses held Brady to weak numbers this year. He was one of them along w/ Dennis Allen of the Saints. (He should be interviewed at least too.) Daboll: 2 yrs on Defense, no ST. I would rank Staley above him. Staley could help shut down/contain the Chefs, Bills, Ravens etc...

Remember, Belicheck was a 2nd time coach! So is Garret and Dennis Allen.
                        So the "genius" candidates I rank in this order to pair w/ Herbert based on the data above:
                        1a. Dennis Allen (EX HC, Defense experience, learned 6 yrs under an Offensive genius in Sean Peyton.). Lombardi worked wonders w/ Brees, Bridgewater (5-0 in Brees's absence), Taysom Hill. Again, only he and Brandon Staley SHUT down genius Tom Brady this year. Brady had a PRO BOWL type of 102.2 passer rating. 40 TD's. 4,600+ yards this year!
                        1b. Brandon Staley - Genius at 38 years old having #1 defense in NFL. That's big. Plus
                        2. Jason Garret - Genius to pair w/ Herbert.
                        3. Daboll (worked w/ genius BB for 17 years.)...Don't like him running our QB SO much like he did Josh Allen vs the Colts.
                        4. Saleh (only bcuz Bolts haven't done well hiring 1st time Offensive types.) They did well having a Bobby Ross, and intense Don Coryell type before and he's just that. Plus, he can win with 3rd stringers. Don't know how he'll do against geniuses in the playoffs like going against Belicheck, John Harbaugh, Daboll/Josh Allen, Reid/ Mahomes. I don't classify Saleh as a genius.

I think you can win Superbowl with any of the top 4 above. I think Saleh can get you into the P.O's but don't know how hel'll do against smart competition in the tournament Tie breaker?
                        I would hire the one who keeps Pep (at least.) The coaches I mentioned below are all solid too!

CONCLUSION:
                        HIRE A GENIUS (preferably a former HC due to your success history) to pair w/ Herbert the way it is Reid/ Mahomes, Peyton /Brees. Belicheck/Brady (BB a Defense guy.)

Telesco said it's "not simple." (Just cuz we went one way before doesn't mean we go the opposite way.) However, it IS more simple than he thinks based on the data complied here.

Go BOLTS!
                    What about Josh Mcdaniels HC and the former lions HC DC??? I get what you are saying tho, we need a thinking HC with a rep like Jason Garret if we could hire a kick ass DC, I could see how Jason and Herbert could be a thing.

Comment

• jox g
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

What about Josh Mcdaniels HC and the former lions HC DC??? I get what you are saying tho, we need a thinking HC with a rep like Jason Garret if we could hire a kick ass DC, I could see how Jason and Herbert could be a thing.
                      Yeah, I get it...however, from what I've heard, he's like a Harbaugh personality wise. (Harbaugh didn't get an interview this time around either.) There's a reason he didn't get a sniff/interview again after dissing the Colts.

Looks like the NFL has a plethora of coaching options anyway with the existing candidates. I guess the owners don't want any potential headaches. If he didn't have his attitude and if he didn't play doorbell ditch with the Colts, I believe he would be on the 6 team's radar too.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

I don't recall anyone calling Garrett a genius.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Yeah, I get it...however, from what I've heard, he's like a Harbaugh personality wise. (Harbaugh didn't get an interview this time around either.) There's a reason he didn't get a sniff/interview again after dissing the Colts.

Looks like the NFL has a plethora of coaching options anyway with the existing candidates. I guess the owners don't want any potential headaches. If he didn't have his attitude and if he didn't play doorbell ditch with the Colts, I believe he would be on the 6 team's radar too.
                          Harbaugh signed a extension with Michigan so he wasn't interested in returning to the NFL

Comment

Working...
                          X