Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

First, analysts “smarter” than any of us also said Herbert was a terrible pick, said Gase was a good hire by the Jets, said Gruden would bring the Raiders back to the glory days. They’re guessing just as much as fans.

Second, why would you have an issue with going different than what we have in recent coaching hires? Did McCoy’s offensive prowess help this team? Lynn? Norv? Offensive guys have really paid big dividends for us.

Third, you don’t pick a coach to fit 1 phase of the game. You pick coordinators that way. You pick a HC to make sure all 3 phases are working together. Also it’s not like we are devoid of talent on the defensive side of the ball.

Fourth, we punt on the OL? According to what? You think a former QB doesn’t understand the importance of protection? You think TT doesn’t understand his job is reliant on giving Herbert the best chance to succeed? FAcy needs to happen before we have a true idea of what our needs are for the draft but no way we ‘punt on the OL’ especially with 3/5 starters set to be FA.

Fifth, finally a valid point! He is lacking in experience, but let’s not pretend experience equates to success. Lynn spent how long in the NFL as a player and coach? He couldn’t even figure out how timeouts should be used with all that experience. But he has more than 1 year of experience in the NFL, 4 years in the NFL vs McVay’s 6 when he became a HC or Brady’s 3 years who you said you would have preferred.

Sixth, If consistency in the OC is so critical maybe we should keep Steichen? Herbert learned an offense in an offseason without OTAs, getting second string reps, with an HC that didn’t want to give him a chance. You can keep consistency on offense without having the same coaches. Rivers went through how many OCs in his career? Never seemed to hamper him.

Seventh, Staley has worked on 3 different NFL staffs in his career. The NFL world isn’t so big that he doesn’t know anyone. I’d also have a coach picking his staff based off of their resumes than hiring his good buddy and mentor to be ST coordinator and watch him coach up the worst single unit in all of football.

Lastly, you assume Herbert will regress. What makes your assumption correct and everyone else’s wrong other than your desire to hate this hire? A new offense makes the tape teams have on Herbert next to useless. Herbert will have more time to work with his skill players, understands the speed of the game, reading defenses, and another off season to put in the work on his mechanics that he started during the draft process. Having a HC linked to a QB’s development isn’t essential for wins. You think BB developed TB12? McDermott has been developing Allen? What have Nagy and Pederson done for their QBs development? Watson had his best year once O’Briens left.

Keep manufacturing reasons to hate this hire because we didn’t grab who you wanted if you want but let’s be sure to check both sides of your arguments.
    Just one of many excellent points in this post. Bravo......

Comment

• SYB
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post

My comeback now to most Raider fans at my work when they inevitably go back to the "Duh,,,,,,,how many super bowls have the Chargers won?" Is to ask them "How many super bowls have you personally seen the Raiders win? As a fan they don't count unless you see them." Most Raider fans I run into are younger and were not alive or just babies the last SB the Raiders won.
      I use a similar approach. And even most of the one's I do know who were alive during their last SB win, they didn't become fans until hopping on the bandwagon after the fact.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

There’s similarities between the two especially the two high look. And you can see Fangio’s influence. But I wouldn’t necessarily say he was running Fangio’s scheme. The Rams for example didn’t really use a 3-4 front that often.
        Here’s the article breakdown that I provided in this thread. It’s a good read and makes me feel that while he adored Fangio, Staley will implement what is best for this team.
        Interesting read!! Although there are similarities with Fangio's scheme, there are striking difference as well. I have always thought fairly high of Bradley, but I have cooled on him in recent years. According to the article, it appears the NFL is starting to catch up with his defensive philosophy he brought from Seattle.

The Rams defense gave up some rushing yards in their last playoff game that helped allow the Packers to control the flow of the game. Just a thought. Otherwise, I am excited that the Chargers would take such a chance on a young forward thinking type of HC!!

Comment

• SYB
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

Interesting read!! Although there are similarities with Fangio's scheme, there are striking difference as well. I have always thought fairly high of Bradley, but I have cooled on him in recent years. According to the article, it appears the NFL is starting to catch up with his defensive philosophy he brought from Seattle.

The Rams defense gave up some rushing yards in their last playoff game that helped allow the Packers to control the flow of the game. Just a thought. Otherwise, I am excited that the Chargers would take such a chance on a young forward thinking type of HC!!

FWIW, Jalen Ramsey thought that Gus' D was garbage and has called Staley the best DC he's ever worked with in the pro's. I was never a fan of Gus and really look forward to seeing what Staley brings to the table. And the funny thing, is what Jalen called out Gus for, is what made Staley so successful in his first year stint.

Jalen Ramsey said he could have made more of an impact if given the flexibility to play different techniques, blitz more and play multiple positions, the way he did in college at Florida State. That's what got him drafted fifth overall.

Ramsey said he spoke with the coaches about doing some of those things but was denied.

"Every week, we ran the same defense," said Ramsey, who finished his rookie season with 55 tackles, 14 pass breakups and two interceptions. "We never changed defenses. We never changed plays. What we were running on first down at the beginning of the season we were running on first down at the end of the season. What we were running on second down, third down, same. Nothing ever changed."
          After reading this criticism of Gus Bradley’s defensive system in Jacksonville, Chargers fans have to be at least a bit concerned about their team’s new Defensive Coordinator.

Per Rams writer Stu Jackson, Ramsey had nothing but excellent things to say about his one-year coordinator during the Rams year-end press conference, including a statement where Ramsey called Staley “the best defensive coordinator that I’ve had for sure in the NFL.” Ramsey went on to call Staley “smart” and that he knows where and how to utilize his players to get the most of them in any given situation.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

If Chargers promote Pep to OC, do they get a 3rd round pick? Or do they have to hire a diverse candidate from a different team to get that?

I was listening to some of the many talking heads (and some were vilifying the Chargers for not hiring Bienemy because he is diverse and went so far as to say the Chargers purposely hired Staley quickly so the news would be shielded by the divisional playoff games. Not making that up) and they made a great point. Its not just owners that are part of the diversity in the NFL issue, its the head coaches too. And they pointed out how diverse head coaches seldom if ever hire diverse coordinators. I never really thought of that, but Lynn hired Whiz, Bradley, and Steichen. He did hire Steward for ST at least, although that was disastrous. Tomlin has he ever had a black OC or DC? Flores hired Todd Bowles, right? But the pipeline for diverse coaches has to be established and it starts with coordinators. Otherwise not going to make any progress from only having 2-3 as head coaches at any given time.

Bienemy has been passed over so many times by so many teams, there just has to be something wrong with him, right? It cannot be just because he is black. Denny Green, Art Shell, Marvin Lewis, Anthony Lynn, Mike Tomlin, Todd Bowles, Brian Flores, Tony Dungy, Hue Jackson, Raheem Morris, Leslie Frazier, Vance Joseph, Steve Wilks, Romeo Crennel, Jim Caldwell, Mike Singletary and many more all got hired because they were deemed the right guys for their teams. And thats just off the top of my head. I left a lot off the list I bet. I really think the NFL owners are greedy enough to not let something like race get in the way of them winning and cashing in. They wont do it because they are great guys, devoted to make a positive change, they will do it to make as much money as possible If Bienemy was really, truly great, he would get the job. i mean some of the names on that list are pretty bad and they got jobs, some more than one. Maybe Houston will hire Eric, but it will be portrayed as giving him the worst possible opportunity because of his race or going through the motions to appease Watson.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

has to be from another team
              P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
              P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
              P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
              P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                If Chargers promote Pep to OC, do they get a 3rd round pick? Or do they have to hire a diverse candidate from a different team to get that?

I was listening to some of the many talking heads (and some were vilifying the Chargers for not hiring Bienemy because he is diverse and went so far as to say the Chargers purposely hired Staley quickly so the news would be shielded by the divisional playoff games. Not making that up) and they made a great point. Its not just owners that are part of the diversity in the NFL issue, its the head coaches too. And they pointed out how diverse head coaches seldom if ever hire diverse coordinators. I never really thought of that, but Lynn hired Whiz, Bradley, and Steichen. He did hire Steward for ST at least, although that was disastrous. Tomlin has he ever had a black OC or DC? Flores hired Todd Bowles, right? But the pipeline for diverse coaches has to be established and it starts with coordinators. Otherwise not going to make any progress from only having 2-3 as head coaches at any given time.

Bienemy has been passed over so many times by so many teams, there just has to be something wrong with him, right? It cannot be just because he is black. Denny Green, Art Shell, Marvin Lewis, Anthony Lynn, Mike Tomlin, Todd Bowles, Brian Flores, Tony Dungy, Hue Jackson, Raheem Morris, Leslie Frazier, Vance Joseph, Steve Wilks, Romeo Crennel, Jim Caldwell, Mike Singletary and many more all got hired because they were deemed the right guys for their teams. And thats just off the top of my head. I left a lot off the list I bet. I really think the NFL owners are greedy enough to not let something like race get in the way of them winning and cashing in. They wont do it because they are great guys, devoted to make a positive change, they will do it to make as much money as possible If Bienemy was really, truly great, he would get the job. i mean some of the names on that list are pretty bad and they got jobs, some more than one. Maybe Houston will hire Eric, but it will be portrayed as giving him the worst possible opportunity because of his race or going through the motions to appease Watson.

TG
                We just had a black coach for 4 years. This is the most ridiculous conspiracy theory I've heard. If there was a Tony Dungee or Mike Tomlin out there they would have given him serious consideration. We interviewed the two best DC coordinators for the position of HC. Next thing you know there will be a conspiracy against hiring Short fat Hoodie men?!?!?!?

:Cheers1:
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

TG
                  I think Trotter made the point that the black coaches in the NFL all had white coordinators. To your point, Tomlin has never had a black coordinator.

Now you got a guy like Arians - he truly doesn't give a damn. Black, white, young, old, females on his staff - its just in his nature I think. REgarding owners and money - they might make so much they don't think about expanding the talent pool

And one thing to keep in mind, if you get draft picks for diversity - teams will use this to their advantage. You get a hot coordinator that goes on to head coach - worth draft picks. I think the rule is stupid but if its out there - and all things equal, the candidate is qualified, it will be taken into account.

My thing with Bieniemy is this - if Pederson and Nagy got jobs not calling plays, what is it about Bieniemy not getting a job? Is it his past? Does he not interview well? And those could be very valid reasons to not hire him. Maybe he does suck interviews. But if Nagy and Pederson got jobs - Eric B probably is viable,

. And all things equal at this point - if I am the Houston Texans and if Deshaun getting Bieniemy makes him happy - based on the pool out there -- I would pick him

Comment

• SYB
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

TG
                    If once all the seats are gone and he's left standing, we can have this conversation. But as of right now, there's still a few teams without HC's, and he can't be hired until likely after the SB, or at earliest, next week.

And if the Texans don't plan on hiring him, they better be ready to trade Deshaun.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

TG
                      The question should be "why hasn't Andy trusted Bienemy to run the entire offense yet?"
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

It was actually Norval, not Schotty. :shrug:
                        Schotty's 14-2 2004 was better than anything Norv accomplished but true Norv was more recent.

Comment

• SYB
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I think Trotter made the point that the black coaches in the NFL all had white coordinators. To your point, Tomlin has never had a black coordinator.

Now you got a guy like Arians - he truly doesn't give a damn. Black, white, young, old, females on his staff - its just in his nature I think. REgarding owners and money - they might make so much they don't think about expanding the talent pool

And one thing to keep in mind, if you get draft picks for diversity - teams will use this to their advantage. You get a hot coordinator that goes on to head coach - worth draft picks. I think the rule is stupid but if its out there - and all things equal, the candidate is qualified, it will be taken into account.

My thing with Bieniemy is this - if Pederson and Nagy got jobs not calling plays, what is it about Bieniemy not getting a job? Is it his past? Does he not interview well? And those could be very valid reasons to not hire him. Maybe he does suck interviews. But if Nagy and Pederson got jobs - Eric B probably is viable,

. And all things equal at this point - if I am the Houston Texans and if Deshaun getting Bieniemy makes him happy - based on the pool out there -- I would pick him
                          I've considered the bolded as well. Zimmer and Arians are guys that were rumored to not come across the best in interviews and both took years of solid work as coordinators before finally getting an HC gig.

I also wondered if he gets a little discounted by having guys like Mahomes, Kelce and Hill at his disposal. I have to imagine it's hard to look bad coaching those guys. Although I'm sure that Gase could live up to the challenge.

Comment

Working...
                          X