• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just looked up Darius Williams and Casey Hayward on PFF. Its just one metric - the film study won't lie but just looking it up
    Williams got an 80; Hayward got a 59.5

Hayward set to get 8.75m cash; Williams was a UDFA making 750k last year. Wonder if the Chargers could get him for like 30/4. Younger better player - year too early rather than a year too late for Hyward is my thought (unlike Mebane and Pouncey)

Granted if Hayward fits the system better - thats fine. But he had some rough moments last year.
    I can't tell how much of Haywards struggles last year was the constant nagging injuries and how much was father time. Popper said a couple of times that they felt injuries were affecting his play. Now given his age and cap space, is it worth the gamble to think he can bounce back with a healthy year? Or do we cut him to save the cap space, creating another hole that needs to be filled?

Comment

• Chuckeezy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just looked up Darius Williams and Casey Hayward on PFF. Its just one metric - the film study won't lie but just looking it up
      Williams got an 80; Hayward got a 59.5

Hayward set to get 8.75m cash; Williams was a UDFA making 750k last year. Wonder if the Chargers could get him for like 30/4. Younger better player - year too early rather than a year too late for Hyward is my thought (unlike Mebane and Pouncey)

Granted if Hayward fits the system better - thats fine. But he had some rough moments last year.

Hayward has been great for us, but he had a major decline this year not sure if it was due to injury or not, if we could somehow land Williams that would be great. He already knows that system.

Comment

• SYB
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Remember that Ramsey doesn’t just play corner on that team under Staley. It’s called the Star position. He’s much more multiple.

​​​​​​​https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ocr...-the-star/amp/
        He can call it whatever he wants. Derwin and Ramsey have very different skill sets, and therefor shouldn't be used in the same way.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I can't tell how much of Haywards struggles last year was the constant nagging injuries and how much was father time. Popper said a couple of times that they felt injuries were affecting his play. Now given his age and cap space, is it worth the gamble to think he can bounce back with a healthy year? Or do we cut him to save the cap space, creating another hole that needs to be filled?
          I mentioned Mebane and Pouncey and both of those felt like "well lets HOPE they can stay healthy and be good players" when Telesco and Lynn brought them both back. I feel the same about Hayward - you do create another hole but you also have the funds to sign a good player in free agency to replace him.

If he is not getting better - you have to move forward

One thing that helped the Rams from 2019 to 2020 is they had some roster turnover: Matthews retired, Weddle retired (or both were asked to "retire") , Littlejohn was a good player but he left. The Rams because of the cap were kind of forced to go with younger players. Chargers shouldn't be caught up in the past 5 years of Hayward and hope - they should be looking at the next couple years and seeing if they can find a better fit. He will be 32 - he is not getting better

Comment

• SYB
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post

Hopefully hes shutting down our divisions best receivers. Kelce...Waller and likely Fant. lol
            And that would be perfect. But if I see him following Hill, Sutton or Ruggs around the formations like Ramsey often did, I'm not gonna be happy. :shrug:

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by SYB View Post

He can call it whatever he wants. Derwin and Ramsey have very different skill sets, and therefor shouldn't be used in the same way.
              You’re missing the point. Derwin isn’t going to run with the #1 receiver like Ramsey is. But he’s a flexible player that can be used in different ways like Staley did with Ramsey. In fact, we all saw that happen in 2018.
              “You’re a little bit of a corner, you’re a little bit of a safety, a little bit of a linebacker — inside linebacker and outside linebacker, because you’re kind of a rusher too,” Staley said.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

And that is where Staley shines...he has this ability to use players to their best abilities instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole...I prefer Derwin at SS most of the time, but there are times, especially if the opposing O is in hurry up offense and u know they'll pass, where I would like James splitting the deep zone with another safety, whether it's Tampa-2, Cover-2, Cover-4 or Cover-6...

Comment

• SYB
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

U don't need a year in Lock's Locker to make him look silly...he can do it all by himself...
                  Unless he's facing old Gussy boy's D. :whistlin:

WTF were the RaiDuhs thinking? :rofl:

Comment

• SYB
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    Alright. 24 hours of digesting the news and just now catching up. My final word on the hire itself.
                    I think it’s no coincidence Daboll decided to stay in Buffalo a day after our hiring. To me it says we were his only option and we chose Staley over Daboll, the least experienced candidate over the most experienced candidate (interviewed, besides clappy).
                    so to me it’s a ballsy choice, higher risk/not much higher reward. I wouldn’t have done it, but hopefully Spanii and Telesco know something(some things) we don’t.
                    From everything I’m reading about Staley, he’s supposed to be a genius, so considering his uber short resume, I think it’s fair to expect smart decisions across the board, not just defense.
                    during the last hire, I (wrongly) wanted Patricia because he was known as the smartest (xs n os) guy in the room, and I will roll with highest football IQ ANYDAY!
                    So it appears that Staley is being sold as that guy, the savant. Well great, I think it can work, he has smarts AND there is evidence for character traits that show up as good communicator/likable/leader etc.
                    I am officially on board with supporting our new HC but also reserve the right to be critical when it’s warrented.
                    no doubt there is a plan to support Herbert in his journey and it better be wicked smart!

GO STALEY!!
                    LMFBO @ "clappy".:rofl::cheers:

IMO, the big difference between Patricia and Staley, was the fact that Patricia was working with and within BB's scheme and not doing his own thing as Staley was.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

LMFBO @ "clappy".:rofl::cheers:

IMO, the big difference between Patricia and Staley, was the fact that Patricia was working with and within BB's scheme and not doing his own thing as Staley was.
                      No to Patricia ...players didnt much like him.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Coachmarkos View Post
                        I am hoping Staley has a better plan in place for Special Teams.

I don't know what AL was doing... I'm sure they were teaching the correct techniques and things, but obviously they didn't spend enough time on it, or didn't emphasize it enough.

Improved ST play, and the Chargers were probably in the playoffs. And that's with the Defense blowing big leads, and the offense unable to block anyone.

If he's as smart as they say, and as detailed and innovative... it's likely we could be in for some fun years.
                        (although I do again think, it may take a while to catch on to the defense... the Rams just 'tweaked' from Wade's D... this will be a complete change in scheme)
                        I don’t know if there will be a complete change. From everything I’ve read, Staley isn’t scheme specific. We may keep a lot of the same personnel on defense and just run what is best for our prime players like Bosa and Derwin.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Unless he's facing old Gussy boy's D. :whistlin:

WTF were the RaiDuhs thinking? :rofl:
                          Yep...the Gus and Chuckie Show...Committment to Recklessness...

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-coordinator/

Comment

Working...
                          X