• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Den60
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
    actually last night on local news it was reported that the "25%" from LA refers to existing season ticket holders. They have somewhere around 50,000 season ticket holders- so roughly 12,500 are in LA/OC area. Those they will probably keep, but lose the rest of the 37,500 based in SD who won't travel for games in LA. Remember how attendance fell way off for Training Camp in Carson?

Yes, I know luxury boxes are where unshared revenue comes from. I'm not seeing a potential scenario of the Chargers as rental tenants in a shared stadium subject to the whims and conditions of the owner, filling all the luxury boxes on game days nor filling all the regular seats either at the same time when nobody has a connection to this team. It just doesn't strike me as the guaranteed Gold mine some are portraying.
    I have seen nothing from the Chargers as to data where the 25% comes from. They haven't posted that anywhere I have seen. If you have that, actual data, then please post it.

But again the point is that if you think that the Chargers will suffer financially via a move to LA I think the koolaid you're drinking is spiked with something. Their franchise immediately more than doubles in value when they do so. SD had a window to keep them but that is now closed and the Chargers no longer want a viable option to stay because that will complicate the move. One of the requirements to moving an NFL franchise is to show that you have "exhausted" any attempt to stay where you are. The Chargers can show that, more than the Rams, and now they don't wan't any last minute actions that would damage that.

There is absolutely no way they can prevent LA from correcting the mistake of a previous owner to move the Rams to where she lived and the NFL owners would like to make more money from an LA television market that dwarfs the SD market. Dean is only using the threat of a potential lawsuit to block the Rams' move as a gimmick to show that his hands are tied and he has no other choice to move the team. Fabiani has made statements to support my opinion recently.

Perhaps you think that the Chargers are just playing chicken, trying to use this to get a stadium deal here in town. I don't. Their recent statements of late are meant to ensure that no stadium deal including the Chargers will ever be made. You sure as shit don't go out and say that the stadium will likely cost much more (25-50%) than what has been previously proposed, demand public financing for the majority of it, demand that that money has to not include any "gimmick" that would evade the required 2/3rds public vote if you want to get a deal done. The task force is wasting their time and should just fold up shop and admit anything they do to try to keep the team here is DOA.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
      Will the smaller stadium work for the Holiday Bowl, which is closer to the upper tier of bowl games?
      I think you're overestimating the Holiday Bowl. It's in the upper half for payouts, but not even close to those that actually play on New Years Day. The hotels do make more for the games, unless its like the last Poinsettia bowl which was almost like two home teams playing each other, and still they couldn't fill the stadium up.

Comment

• Faded blues
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2013
        • Send PM

its tucking Carson

Comment

• Faded blues
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2013
          • Send PM

Bullshit on folding up tents

It can be Done here

Comment

• Den60
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharger View Post
            Fuck this.

Chargers, Raiders propose shared NFL stadium in Carson

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-...ry.html#page=1
            That is an early April Fools joke.

Comment

• bonehead
              Undrafted
              • Jul 2013
              • TBD
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Can you really blame them? After all the bullshit our city council spewed throughout the years.

Watch them bungle the convention center too, forcing Comic Con to leave.

And goodbye D1 college football.
              We said goodbye to D1 college football a long time ago
              Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Faded blues
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2013
                • Send PM

my wife just got back from Carson on a conference. She is laughing right now. Place is a hair hole and a mess to get around.

Comment

• Den60
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

What becomes of Aztec football? The bowl games? Thanks city clowncil!
                  If you read an Aztec board you will see that many believe they will be almost given the land (some claim the can get it via eminent domain) at the Q site for a campus expansion and a new 45K stadium. They may have the money to buy the land for a campus expansion but funding a collegiate stadium has to be privately funded. But you will find many hard core Aztec fans who really, truly believe that the Chargers are the reason they are not competing with USC and other P5 schools.

From this I tend to thing that football makes people, really, really stupid.

Comment

• Den60
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

One other thing, I have to question whether the Chargers have ever really wanted to stay here. There is talk about the fact they spent $14M over the last decade and a half working on a deal to get a stadium built in SD but that is pretty much chump change for them. Now, all of a sudden, they say they can't survive (even with a new stadium here in town) if a team moves to LA? Really? Perhaps they have always been paying little more than lip service about wanting to be here and have just been waiting until the "move out" fee for the Q expansion gets small enough for them to accept, and now that there is a real threat of the Rams moving back to LA is causing them to have to rush their schedule a bit.

Comment

• Faded blues
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Aug 2013
                      • Send PM

No shovels yet.

It's not downtown la. It's not even inglewood.

It's carson. It's riverside.

Ramona is prettier than those shitholes.

I still believe with the right deal they will still stay here.

Comment

• TTK
                        EX-Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • America's Finest City
                        • Send PM

I'm still very curious how they plan to finance a $1.7 billion stadium privately (not including relocation fees) when they can't build one here for cheaper.

Unless this can be explained, I call BS.

Comment

• Sec-E4
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2014
                          • Arizona
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
                          One other thing, I have to question whether the Chargers have ever really wanted to stay here. There is talk about the fact they spent $14M over the last decade and a half working on a deal to get a stadium built in SD but that is pretty much chump change for them. Now, all of a sudden, they say they can't survive (even with a new stadium here in town) if a team moves to LA? Really? Perhaps they have always been paying little more than lip service about wanting to be here and have just been waiting until the "move out" fee for the Q expansion gets small enough for them to accept, and now that there is a real threat of the Rams moving back to LA is causing them to have to rush their schedule a bit.
                          The Rams and Jaguars were in talks about moving to L.A for awhile now....The Rams recent talk has nothing to do with the Chargers talking/worrying about losing the northern So Cal Fan base.

The scary part is that the Giants and Jets facility is working out pretty good, And not to mention the NBA with the Lakers and Clippers sharing the facility. Members here are talking about how division rivals can't/wouldn't share a facility, Yet the NBA has gotten away with it, So why wouldn't the NFL do it ? I just don't see having San Diego teaming up with the Raiders making any sense. Unless the Chargers changed their name and called themselves the LA Chargers and the Raiders would be doing the same. That's a lot of sports teams in the LA area, That's 2 MLB teams, 2 NBA teams, 2 Hockey teams and would be 2 future NFL teams.....It doesn't make sense to strip San Diego of all its sports teams. All this when it's Considered the most beautiful city in the USA

I don't think the NFL want to take SD off of the map....If you break it down, It really doesn't make any economical sense. All of this when we have a good team. In the long run, Who knows what Dean Spanos' intentions are. I recently watched the Ken Burns Baseball documentary and watched the part where the New York Giants and the Dodgers left New York. It was all about going to a place where they could make more money, They had a nice loyal fan base (But they made other excuse as to why they were moving)

Comment

Working...
                          X