• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
    The city definitely deserves a great deal of blame but all this crap about "economic viability of the franchise" is 100% pure BS. It's just about greed.

It's a shame that the Task Force and the Mayor will not be given a chance to save them from moving. I honestly think they would have come up with something that would work.
    It's just about greed??? Really. Might it not be " we can't fucking wait any longer. If we wait, we are F*cked.m we still have no stadium, no way to finance one, and no local support to get it done. 15 years is a looooong time to wait to get to send base. Up against a 2/3 Rd poison pill, a backlash against rental car and hotel tax (for some stupid reason), a city that fails to maintain the previous resource to be even moderately acceptable, and a city that can pour 300MM into a library, subsidize a baseball park, buy an old office building on the fly etc., but can't get a stadium deal done in 15 bloody years. Yep....all about greed. Take the blinders off. I am not sure any other owner would have been this patient.

Comment

• TABF
      Por debajo del promedio
      • Jun 2013
      • SoCal
      • Send PM

Hate this, but I dont blame the Chargers. I will not follow any team that has LA in its designation, so most likley they will lose me as a fan (they dont give a shit about that). The city will suffer. Lots of die hard fans losing sleep tonight because the city couldn't get out of its own way for far too long. I'm also a bit pissed the county hasn't stepped up over the past 14 years to find a real/viable option for the Bolts.
      In the end, new stadiums are profitable for the teams and most importantly the area at which they are built. San Diego business owners should be livid that they will miss out on countless very large sums of money that will leave with our Chargers, not to mention the potential money they would have made with a new stadium. Very Sad that I will have to move on to other adventures on Sundays.

Comment

• TTK
        EX-Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • America's Finest City
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
        It's just about greed??? Really. Might it not be " we can't fucking wait any longer. If we wait, we are F*cked.m we still have no stadium, no way to finance one, and no local support to get it done. 15 years is a looooong time to wait to get to send base. Up against a 2/3 Rd poison pill, a backlash against rental car and hotel tax (for some stupid reason), a city that fails to maintain the previous resource to be even moderately acceptable, and a city that can pour 300MM into a library, subsidize a baseball park, buy an old office building on the fly etc., but can't get a stadium deal done in 15 bloody years. Yep....all about greed. Take the blinders off. I am not sure any other owner would have been this patient.
        Maybe I'm gullible but I think Faulconer can get this done. I wish he would just get the chance. They'll get something on the ballot (whether or not it will pass is another story) But it's not his fault that all his predecessors were imbeciles.

And it is greed IMO. If the Rams move to LA first, what does it matter? The Chargers and Raiders can still move there anytime they want like they're threatening to now, right? If the NFL can't stop one team from going to LA, why would they be able to stop two more?

Comment

• Faded blues
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2013
          • Send PM

No way NFL supports 3 teams and two stadiums.

Someone is coming to San diego

It's musical chairs and we will be left with a team

Comment

• X-man
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by TBF View Post
            Hate this, but I dont blame the Chargers. I will not follow any team that has LA in its designation, so most likley they will lose me as a fan (they dont give a shit about that). The city will suffer. Lots of die hard fans losing sleep tonight because the city couldn't get out of its own way for far too long. I'm also a bit pissed the county hasn't stepped up over the past 14 years to find a real/viable option for the Bolts.
            In the end, new stadiums are profitable for the teams and most importantly the area at which they are built. San Diego business owners should be livid that they will miss out on countless very large sums of money that will leave with our Chargers, not to mention the potential money they would have made with a new stadium. Very Sad that I will have to move on to other adventures on Sundays.

Concur 100% with you. From 1) the city politicians/port commission/hoteliers coming across so nonchalant or vitriol about keeping the Chargers in SD the past 13 years while being so adament about just focusing on their own agendas, 2) to backward thinking San Diegans whose hatred for Spanos runs so deep that they don't even see how many of their local businessmen benefit from out of towners that are temporarily staying in town while dropping some dough out and about in various places in the city, 3) to constantly having TV blackouts secondary to many of the locals seemingly having other things they'd rather do then watch their home team play in a home game for at least 8+ days of the 365 days in one year, 4) to others teams with much younger stadiums then San Diego's (Falcons, Vikings and now Rams) already building/acquiring new stadiums for their team while many San Diegans still feel that the current dump that is the "Q" is still really serviceable, 5) and for "greedy Spanos" who has the past decade never shirked being at or near the salary cap to try and keep his team competitive while being at the whims of his GMs different philosophies on how to spend it...

By Spanos doing this he's basically wanting to know if San Diego really wants to keep the Chargers past this coming season and to figure out if they are going to :shit: or get off the pot...because SD has been constipated for far too long.

Can anyone really blame Spanos for feeling like all hope is lost in San Diego...and that it's now time to get out of Dodge? And for those who believe SD will be on tap for a future replacement team, why would the NFL/possible future owner honestly ever be motivated at giving San Diego back a team when considering all those factors stated above?
            Last edited by X-man; 02-20-2015, 05:47 AM.

Comment

• MakoShark
              Disgruntled
              • Jun 2013
              • North Alabama
              • Send PM

Originally posted by TTK View Post
              I'm still very curious how they plan to finance a $1.7 billion stadium privately (not including relocation fees) when they can't build one here for cheaper.

Unless this can be explained, I call BS.
              Build stadium by yourself in SD. Cost $1Billion.

Build stadium in Carson with an equal partner. Cost $1.7billion/2 = $850Million

Which is cheaper?

Originally posted by Panamamike
              You're spot on. No way to lay the blame at Spanos' feet. Get ready for the return of the LA Raiders and the introduction of the SoCal Chargers. 9 home games every year for both teams unless 1 swaps conferences. Lovely, just lovely!
              sigpic

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post

Wishful thinking IMO. "Left with a team"??? To play where? To come to a city that can't get a stadium deal worked out? Or, when the Chargers leave, after fifteen years of trying to get a stadium, THEN they step up to the plate? Everyone does a 180 and the voting public miraculously goes from 2/3 against to 2/3 in favour of some form of tax that the "hotelier mafia" will endorse? Or you really expect someone to come here and finance the whole thing? With no PSLs, little corporate base, fickle fans that don't buy tickets for games (at today's price...wait to see what they are in any new stadium), just to be in the nicest city in America. Sorry. That one, while I like the positive thought, is a non-starter to me.

Comment

fender57
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

"A source involved in the negotiations told ESPN.com's Arash Markazi that the Chargers came to Carson officials first with the stadium proposal nine months ago and that the Raiders later joined the talks, which intensified after St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke announced plans in January to build an 80,000-seat stadium in Inglewood."

The San Diego Chargers and Oakland Raiders announced Thursday that they have collaborated on a proposal to build a privately financed, $1.7 billion stadium in Carson, California, that the two teams would share if they relocate to the Los Angeles market.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Faded blues View Post

Why would anyone come to San Diego if the Chargers leave? The only stadium in the league worse than the Q is the Raiders pit and moving here would not be an upgrade. I think there is a better chance of the Raiders or Chargers moving to St Louis if the Rams leave than anyone coming here.

Comment

fender57
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Last night Fibiani was on KUSI and said the agreement with the Raiders was just completed "yesterday". I wonder how much he stretched that truth, based on the espn story?

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                        Last night Fibiani was on KUSI and said the agreement with the Raiders was just completed "yesterday". I wonder how much he stretched that truth, based on the espn story?
                        It could be that paperwork was just signed yesterday - but it doesn't really matter, I guess.

Comment

• SDFan
                          Woober Goober
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Dolores, CO
                          • Retired
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post

I saw that too. Paul Rudy grilled FIBiani pretty hard with tough questions, including if they were locked into Downtown or nothing. FIBiani said downtown made the most sense and it was clear the convention center was never going to be expanded by itself as there was no way to do it financially, but would work partnering with the Chargers, AND they were still open to revisiting the Mission Valley stadium idea if that is what will work and downtown doesn't.
                          Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

Working...
                          X