• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alex8080
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

It is worth remembering something about football coaches when the term "genius" gets bantered about. The fallback job of most NFL coaches and many front office people is a HS gym teacher.
    i don't think HCs (even the non-genius types) fancy themselves great scouts, i think they focus soo much on a player that fits their system to the point they may blind themselves. you get reaching, sacrificing. etc. but that's just human nature. like a kid on xmas who gets upset if they don't get exactly what they want.

the more flexible to an idea or want, the better you can get overall

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      wu is still holding out hope for Trent...
      I am finally on our bandwagon Wu-D

Kyle Posey does a lot of work for the 49ers -- he has Williams as the best FA on the market
      I get he is 33 years old; I get he will cost some money. But that guy is a legit LT in the NFL.

Its not going to happen - and probably shouldn't but he is a very good player but if its between Thuney, Linsley or Trent - he is the best player of the three.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by alex8080 View Post

i don't think HCs (even the non-genius types) fancy themselves great scouts
        , i think they focus soo much on a player that fits their system to the point they may blind themselves. you get reaching, sacrificing. etc. but that's just human nature. like a kid on xmas who gets upset if they don't get exactly what they want.

That doesn't have much to do with a HC & staff reviewing the scouts work for characteristics they want to work with at a given position. I brought up Staley & co making OL selections in the draft (after scouts presentation, GM review). Something strongly indicated by LAC's track record at selecting OL in the Telesco era.
        I stand by that.
        If anyone thought I meant bypass the GM & team scouts entirely?
        Bah!
        I had a failure to communicate.

Comment

• SuperCharged
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Utah
          • Midnight Toker
          • Send PM

Ding ding ding! 25 winners!:More Q Please:

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Comment

• Steve
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • South Carolina
              • Meteorologist
              • Send PM

Originally posted by alex8080 View Post

i don't think HCs (even the non-genius types) fancy themselves great scouts, i think they focus soo much on a player that fits their system to the point they may blind themselves. you get reaching, sacrificing. etc. but that's just human nature. like a kid on xmas who gets upset if they don't get exactly what they want.

Belichik does.

The NE pats scouts are just guys out collecting data. They have no input into the scouting of players. They never meet with the coaches and have no input in the draft process. Many of them are guys who coach for regional college teams but don't have full time job coaching, so can afford to run around at spring time going to pro days at other regional colleges.

Most of the position coaches have little to say in the process, at least until they win BB confidence.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

It shouldn’t be understated that we can still afford to sign Trent Williams.
                Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                  I LITERALLY just got goosebumps reading that!
                  Alas, we are Charger fans; that can't really happen.....can it?

Comment

• WindsorUK
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2013
                    • Windsor, U.K.
                    • Send PM

Of our 3 FA's, are they all as bad as their numbers showed?
                    It was Lamp's first year as a starter, in a position he'd never played before, right? Wasn't he a T in college?
                    And Feeney? He was TOTALLY out of position. I'm sure he was a RG in college.
                    Tevi's first year as a blindside T in the NFL, obviously not good but he didn't get JH killed.
                    Would any of our trio be better playing their natural position, or better their second year at a new position?
                    I'm happy to bring in players who've had more success in the League but at some point, for financial reasons, won't we have to keep SOME of our draft picks?
                    I'd like to think any of the 3 would be solid back ups on Coach Staley's team, or dare I dream, maybe even a solid contributor when placed amongst a more veteran group.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post
                      Of our 3 FA's, are they all as bad as their numbers showed?
                      It was Lamp's first year as a starter, in a position he'd never played before, right? Wasn't he a T in college?
                      And Feeney? He was TOTALLY out of position. I'm sure he was a RG in college.
                      Tevi's first year as a blindside T in the NFL, obviously not good but he didn't get JH killed.
                      Would any of our trio be better playing their natural position, or better their second year at a new position?
                      I'm happy to bring in players who've had more success in the League but at some point, for financial reasons, won't we have to keep SOME of our draft picks?
                      I'd like to think any of the 3 would be solid back ups on Coach Staley's team, or dare I dream, maybe even a solid contributor when placed amongst a more veteran group.
                      I keep seeing some make this excuse for Feeney. "He was a RG in college and playing out of possition".....so what? Feiler played LG and RT and did ok in Pittsbugh. Does anybody really think if Feeney is at RG he will suddenly be a better pass protector?

Feeney played LG his entire time here til he went to OC. He had plenty of time to get acclimated. He just isnt that good as a pass protector and that wont matter what side he is on.

Lamp was bad, Tevi was ok, better than Pipkins and if he wants to come back for a team friendly backup deal, he is the only one id take back. But i think all three are gone.

Comment

• alex8080
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Mar 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                        That doesn't have much to do with a HC & staff reviewing the scouts work for characteristics they want to work with at a given position. I brought up Staley & co making OL selections in the draft (after scouts presentation, GM review). Something strongly indicated by LAC's track record at selecting OL in the Telesco era.
                        I stand by that.
                        If anyone thought I meant bypass the GM & team scouts entirely?
                        Bah!
                        I had a failure to communicate.
                        i was agreeing with you

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

Yeah, fair enough.
                          At some point though we're going to need some home grown talent. FA's cost a lot more.

Comment

Working...
                          X