• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexanBeerlover
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2021
    • Send PM

Is it my imagination but does it seem both KC and Seattle, basically all the top contenders beefing up even more via free agency to make Super Bowl run despite being up against the cap?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by TexanBeerlover View Post
      Is it my imagination but does it seem both KC and Seattle, basically all the top contenders beefing up even more via free agency to make Super Bowl run despite being up against the cap?
      NFL cap is very fluid. If you have cash and are willing to pay on credit - it can be manipulated. Now for a team like Tampa - it makes sense to go all in. You won the Trophy already, why not go for two. You have the trophy to try again
      KC is in prime position now with Mahomes, Kelce, Jones, Tyreek, etc - so why not push all the chips
      Saints and Steelres have tried to do it

Chargers are much more conservative. They don't carry a lot of dead cap - which is good. And I am not sure they should be doing the same things as the other teams. Yet.... there might be a time - next year or the year after it makes sense.

To me the Chargers need a good draft this year and see where they stack up going into the next offseason before getting crazy with voidable contracts and pushing cap
      Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 04-01-2021, 07:50 AM.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Just a reminder that the best way to build a team is still through the draft. Robert Kraft breaking it down.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          Just a reminder that the best way to build a team is still through the draft. Robert Kraft breaking it down.
          It is the best way to build. So when I see trade ideas of moving up for Sewell - it makes no sense. That too me is too much draft capital for a team that needs LT, CB, TE, IDL, IOL, Edge and probably S and RB.

I saw a good tweet - "..NFL free agency is to fill holes; the Draft is for value". And yes, we all can hope that CB & OT are picked by Round 3 but if the supreme talent from Telesco is there - cannot pass it up. Though I truly think at 13 - either OT or CB will be value that meets need. And I think in R2 - based on mocks, the same.

If the Chargers can hit this draft really hard and strong -- that might allow next year some flexibility with the salary cap and also the draft - meaning than you might trade up in R1 for that ONE player. But for me its not this year.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Another reason to sit on that money is to keep us flexible in the draft...if in the pursuit and selection of the highest quality prospects, maximizing the value of each pick, we happen to neglect a position of need...then we have the cash to rectify that. For example, maybe we pick up some great oline, edge, and a RB or TE we really like...but there was never a good value for corner when we picked? Then we go pick up one of those guys still looking for a job, or a post draft release. Stop gap.

Same thing can happen with the tackles.

I say hang onto the money, use it on whatever we miss on. If we hit paydirt on most of our picks? Put it in the bank for Herbie.
            Yeah I also see us holding onto the money until after the draft to see where we stand.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Yeah I also see us holding onto the money until after the draft to see where we stand.
              I think the only signing now up until the draft would be for Poppers guy Todd Davis or the like - veterans minimum deal so it really doesn't affect the cap

Other than that - see how the draft goes - have a few options on speed dial and if need be, maybe get your OT, CB, S, etc for depth

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It is the best way to build. So when I see trade ideas of moving up for Sewell - it makes no sense. That too me is too much draft capital for a team that needs LT, CB, TE, IDL, IOL, Edge and probably S and RB.

I saw a good tweet - "..NFL free agency is to fill holes; the Draft is for value". And yes, we all can hope that CB & OT are picked by Round 3 but if the supreme talent from Telesco is there - cannot pass it up. Though I truly think at 13 - either OT or CB will be value that meets need. And I think in R2 - based on mocks, the same.

If the Chargers can hit this draft really hard and strong -- that might allow next year some flexibility with the salary cap and also the draft - meaning than you might trade up in R1 for that ONE player. But for me its not this year.
                Strongly disagree. Sewell is the best, non QB, prospect in this class. He is the solution to our OLT problem for 10+ years and expect him to be a multi-time All-Pro with his insane skillset, technical upside potential, and immense physical attributes.

Lets say the roster holes you listed need to be filled.
                Say the trade cost us #13/#47/#200/ & 2022 day1/2 pick.
                Cross OLT off your list.
                A CB can be found in round 3.
                We still would have 5 more picks and post draft FA to fill out the roster.
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Strongly disagree. Sewell is the best, non QB, prospect in this class. He is the solution to our OLT problem for 10+ years and expect him to be a multi-time All-Pro with his insane skillset, technical upside potential, and immense physical attributes.
                  I just am not willing to give up at minimum a 2nd and the comp pick 3rd to get Sewell. I think a good evaluator of talent can find the Chargers LT in R1 or R2 and still come away with CB and another player.

Granted, it would be more Telescos M.O. to trade up than trade back. But I think the price would be pretty steep to get to 6 or that range, Now if he falls a bit and maybe it doesn't cost as much - I might be more inclined.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

I just am not willing to give up at minimum a 2nd and the comp pick 3rd to get Sewell. I think a good evaluator of talent can find the Chargers LT in R1 or R2 and still come away with CB and another player.

Granted, it would be more Telescos M.O. to trade up than trade back. But I think the price would be pretty steep to get to 6 or that range, Now if he falls a bit and maybe it doesn't cost as much - I might be more inclined.
                    Read above. I added more.

Good to know you’re not willing.

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Read above. I added more.

Good to know you’re not willing.
                      To be honest, the biggest reason I am against it-- Telesco has a history of not evaluating correctly the player he is trading up for. Has done it 4 times and of the first three, Murray not eligible - none of them have ever got a second contract with the Chargers. So not only did the player drafted not long term but the team lost the draft capital to get the player.

So that is probably why I am very leery of giving up a 2nd round draft choice plus more for Sewell. If he did it - I would be excited about Sewell. But I am more pragmatic with this draft class. I truly want him to go for "good quantity" instead of going for one "great quality" - NFL is not the NBA. Plus, Telesco was in Indy when they drafted Costonzo - thats all I am looking for with the 13th pick. Anthony Costonzo - a 10 year starter at LT. Might not be Walter Jones but a solid player.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

To be honest, the biggest reason I am against it-- Telesco has a history of not evaluating correctly the player he is trading up for. Has done it 4 times and of the first three, Murray not eligible - none of them have ever got a second contract with the Chargers. So not only did the player drafted not long term but the team lost the draft capital to get the player.

So that is probably why I am very leery of giving up a 2nd round draft choice plus more for Sewell. If he did it - I would be excited about Sewell. But I am more pragmatic with this draft class. I truly want him to go for "good quantity" instead of going for one "great quality" - NFL is not the NBA. Plus, Telesco was in Indy when they drafted Costonzo - thats all I am looking for with the 13th pick. Anthony Costonzo - a 10 year starter at LT. Might not be Walter Jones but a solid player.
                        I see your POV.
                        I try not to let past errors affect your next swing.
                        If our FO has Sewell as highly rated as I do, trading up is the move I’d try to make.
                        Last edited by like54ninjas; 04-01-2021, 01:34 PM.

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

I see your POV.
                          I try not to let past errors affect your next swing.
                          If our FO has Sewell as highly rated as I do, trading up is they move I’d try to make.
                          And that is a very fair point. If the evaluation shows he is the type of prospect that could turn into a Walter Jones (All Pro Elite) and Costonzo - than you might have to call your shot and go all in. One thing, if he makes it past Detroit or Carolina, Telesco might want to be a bit more prepared to move up. As if he is there at the Cowboys pick - I would probably be pretty willing to give up the first third round pick

Comment

Working...
                          X