Parham
          Reed

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
            I'll tell you what perplexes *me* about the Chargers' tight end situation.

As far as being "offensive threats", IMO Jared Cook is the equal of Hunter Henry.

As far as being able to contribute as blockers?!? Henry was an asset. Cook is a liability.

So the club replaced Henry-- a plus/plus guy-- with Cook, a plus/minus guy.

But then the Bolts drafted Tre' McKitty in the 3rd round-- a round, possibly TWO rounds early, according to a lot of people. McKitty is a guy who is a plus blocker who was under-used as a receiver in college, so what he has to offer as a receiver on the NFL level is a question mark. If you've watched the tape, though, you've seen that he's big, fast, and mobile with the ball in his hands.

Two things:

(1) McKitty had-- to be honest-- shit quarterbacks throwing the ball for his (two) college teams. The ball wasn't thrown his way often. But he'll now be playing for a QB who has the ability to hit him in stride and maximize his yard-gaining talents.

(2) McKitty will be playing on a Chargers' offense with a handful of playmakers that opposing defenses will have to focus on stopping ahead of McKitty. Think Keenan Allen, Austin Ekeler, Tyron Johnson, Mike Williams and Jared Cook. McKitty is a guy who figures to be primarily a blocker. But if Justin Herbert hasn't located a target three-and-a-half seconds into his decision tree, McKitty is the guy who figures to be uncovered five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, an outlet guy Herbert can check to, as the pocket collapses.

McKitty may be Brandon Manumaleuna-like. Not quite the size, certainly, but the blocking ability, coupled with mobility and good hands. IMO, he *could* be a significant asset from Day One.

But unless the Bolts use a lot of two TE sets, McKitty might not see much of the field.

I know, I know... Production finds its way to the field. If he plays "light's out" in limited snaps, he'll be given more snaps.

But it's really unclear the degree to which Staley will be inclined to incorporate McKitty into the Bolts' offensive machinery anytime soon...

If Cook is the only TE on the field at the snap, you can make the assumption that the Chargers are going to throw the ball. Defenses will key on that.

So, again, I'm just unclear on how Staley intends to make use of some of these offensive components.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Palmer and McKitty *know* they'd be hurting themselves if they didn't sign by camp.

Serious point here: Once a draftee signs with the team that selected him, he THEN becomes obligated to comply with various terms of the contract that he isn't obligated to comply with UNTIL he signs and becomes team property.

For example: Once a player signs, he is almost certainly forbidden from skydiving, kayaking, white water rafting, bungee jumping, etc. Maybe Palmer and McKitty like alligator hunting, and doing that would violate safety provisions of the contract. You get my point.

So I expect everybody will be signed and in camp on time.
              Yep..."Arnold" Palmer needs to get into the "swing" of things...and "Meow Mix" McKitty better sign zee papah, or he'll use up one of his nine lives...

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Re: TE
                I like Cook, McKitty & Parham. Rotate them in with a mix of RB/FB and WRs doesn't give anything away if Staley / Lombardi have multiple plays to execute from the same formation/ personnel as alleged.
                I'm curious if one or more of TEs Anderson, Kampmoyer, Seybert, Sokol can make a good impression as prac squad/ development guys

Comment

• equivocation
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

Parham could be a real gem. He seems to play for fluid than his agility tests so his route running could really develop. His size and a 38" vert and 85+" wingspan could really shine with some more polish.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

As far as being "offensive threats", IMO Jared Cook is the equal of Hunter Henry.

As far as being able to contribute as blockers?!? Henry was an asset. Cook is a liability.

But then the Bolts drafted Tre' McKitty in the 3rd round-- a round, possibly TWO rounds early, according to a lot of people. McKitty is a guy who is a plus blocker who was under-used as a receiver in college, so what he has to offer as a receiver on the NFL level is a question mark. If you've watched the tape, though, you've seen that he's big, fast, and mobile with the ball in his hands.

Two things:

(1) McKitty had-- to be honest-- shit quarterbacks throwing the ball for his (two) college teams. The ball wasn't thrown his way often. But he'll now be playing for a QB who has the ability to hit him in stride and maximize his yard-gaining talents.

(2) McKitty will be playing on a Chargers' offense with a handful of playmakers that opposing defenses will have to focus on stopping ahead of McKitty. Think Keenan Allen, Austin Ekeler, Tyron Johnson, Mike Williams and Jared Cook. McKitty is a guy who figures to be primarily a blocker. But if Justin Herbert hasn't located a target three-and-a-half seconds into his decision tree, McKitty is the guy who figures to be uncovered five yards beyond the line of scrimmage, an outlet guy Herbert can check to, as the pocket collapses.

McKitty may be Brandon Manumaleuna-like. Not quite the size, certainly, but the blocking ability, coupled with mobility and good hands. IMO, he *could* be a significant asset from Day One.

But unless the Bolts use a lot of two TE sets, McKitty might not see much of the field.

I know, I know... Production finds its way to the field. If he plays "light's out" in limited snaps, he'll be given more snaps.

But it's really unclear the degree to which Staley will be inclined to incorporate McKitty into the Bolts' offensive machinery anytime soon...

If Cook is the only TE on the field at the snap, you can make the assumption that the Chargers are going to throw the ball. Defenses will key on that.

So, again, I'm just unclear on how Staley intends to make use of some of these offensive components.

There’s not a ton of receiving tape on Kitty but he looks a hell of a lot more fluid and fast than Brandon was as a receiving weapon. Brandon prob a better blocker as that really what he was - a blocker who caught a few passes.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Two things:

That won't last long. Put Cook on the line and the D drops back? We're running.

Comment

• Xenos
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Two things:

I remember reading somewhere that they were planning on running more 12 personnel. So McKitty will be TE2 regardless.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Wonder what type of issues this will cause with the restrictions placed on non-vaccinated players?

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X