• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
    All the healthy rookies will play, according to Staley, including offensive tackle Rashawn Slater, cornerback Asante Samuel Jr. and wide receiver Josh Palmer.
    So, by not playing most of our vets/starters, this gives the rooks and UDFA's a chance to really compete in the pre-season games and try to nail down a spot on the final 53...

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

I want to see if CJ costello has a chance at the practice squad
      looking for physic traits for future QB2
      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        So why bother with preseason?
        To soak the season ticket holders for more money. I'm sorry, did I say that out loud?!?

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

If Tom freaking Brady, along with the rest of entire starting offense for the Bucs, can play in preseason games then Justin Herbert should be able to as well imo.

I think it’s important he develop some chemistry with his O line and new starting TE and some of the new receivers as well.

Not saying I’d play him the whole game but at least a few drives would do him some good.

I feel like this is being done on purpose so that if the Chargers get off to a bad start in the reg season then they can blame it on “lack of chemistry”. It’s all about politics and perceptions.

Derwin James is coming back from injury and you’d think they want to give him as many reps as possible so he gets used to playing against other teams again. Unless they believe he really is made out of glass and one preseason game can knock his ass out and put him back on IR.

Btw if you follow the Chargers beat writers on twitter, it’s been obvious that the offense has been struggling big time in the red zone in training camp. This was an issue last season as well. You’d think they want to give it a shot in a glorified practice against other teams to see how they do.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

So, by not playing most of our vets/starters, this gives the rooks and UDFA's a chance to really compete in the pre-season games and try to nail down a spot on the final 53...
            It’s kinda unfair to the rookies though. For example a UDFA WR or TE might look much better with a competent QB throwing him the ball than with Chase freaking Daniel doing it. Same thing with O line. Bad QBs can make good OLs look bad by holding on the ball longer than needed or leaving the pocket when they don’t need to etc.
            Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
            - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
            - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
            - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
            - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

No Herbert, no new OL, no Bosa, and James, etc. diminishes my interest in these preseason games. I've been anxious to see this year's OL and now I find they'll be spectators. So much for the importance of preseason games.

Glad I'm not paying regular season prices to watch them. I always hated having to pay full price for them when I was a season ticket holder but the regulars usually played a series or two.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

Never would have imagined trying to keep players healthy for games with meaning would have so many up in arms. Multiple practices going against the 49ers front will provide a better chance for the OL to gel than anything they will see in preseason games. Herbert is already taking hits from our own DL and people are upset over that, but want to subject him to defenses that have absolutely no need to hold back against him. I don’t see anyone saying Derwin needs rep in a new defense after not playing for most of 2 seasons, but it’s vital the franchise QB gets those game reps? This is a chance to improve depth across the roster, give the coaching staff a chance to work together in a game environment, and evaluate bubble guys and the STs all while keeping our core pieces ready for week one, take it for what it is.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  No Herbert, no new OL, no Bosa, and James, etc. diminishes my interest in these preseason games. I've been anxious to see this year's OL and now I find they'll be spectators. So much for the importance of preseason games.

Glad I'm not paying regular season prices to watch them. I always hated having to pay full price for them when I was a season ticket holder but the regulars usually played a series or two.
                  Personally, I look forward to the game and will watch plays over and over on TiVo to see who does well and who doesn’t. I don’t care who wins, but I like to see effort.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                    Never would have imagined trying to keep players healthy for games with meaning would have so many up in arms. Multiple practices going against the 49ers front will provide a better chance for the OL to gel than anything they will see in preseason games. Herbert is already taking hits from our own DL and people are upset over that, but want to subject him to defenses that have absolutely no need to hold back against him. I don’t see anyone saying Derwin needs rep in a new defense after not playing for most of 2 seasons, but it’s vital the franchise QB gets those game reps? This is a chance to improve depth across the roster, give the coaching staff a chance to work together in a game environment, and evaluate bubble guys and the STs all while keeping our core pieces ready for week one, take it for what it is.
                    Ding ding. Correcto.

One of the most important details for our OL is figuring out who’s gonna be the backup (and potentially the future) RT. Bulaga’s not made off titanium alloy.

Pipkins needs reps.
                    Storm needs reps.
                    Jaimes desperately needs at guard.

These things are important.

I’m watching the game for many reasons, but mostly to watch the WRs battle for those 4-6 spots. Hopefully Chase and Stick will be slingIn the rock.
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

If Staley is right, what is the purpose of preseason games? Staley, anyway, apparently thinks preseason games are a waste of time. They are supposed to serve as warm-ups for the regular season. Supposedly, they give lower-on-the-depth-chart players an opportunity to distinguish themselves. But Staley says practice is better for that. So why bother with preseason?
                      For Staley's Chargers, the purpose is getting experience for rookies & depth, special teams vs other teams and get a better picture of cuts & practice squad candidates.
                      Roster size is 85 Aug 17.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

When it comes to injuries, HH is not quite at Verrett level, but starting to look like Perryman 2.0...
                        Hunter Henry tweaked his shoulder but it's not supposed to affect his ability to play opening week. We shall see, he could play 17 games and have a monster season for NE.

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                          If Tom freaking Brady, along with the rest of entire starting offense for the Bucs, can play in preseason games then Justin Herbert should be able to as well imo.

I think it’s important he develop some chemistry with his O line and new starting TE and some of the new receivers as well.

Not saying I’d play him the whole game but at least a few drives would do him some good.

I feel like this is being done on purpose so that if the Chargers get off to a bad start in the reg season then they can blame it on “lack of chemistry”. It’s all about politics and perceptions.

Derwin James is coming back from injury and you’d think they want to give him as many reps as possible so he gets used to playing against other teams again. Unless they believe he really is made out of glass and one preseason game can knock his ass out and put him back on IR.

Btw if you follow the Chargers beat writers on twitter, it’s been obvious that the offense has been struggling big time in the red zone in training camp. This was an issue last season as well. You’d think they want to give it a shot in a glorified practice against other teams to see how they do.
                          ^ This...Herbie needs reps with the new O-line...hope we don't see any sync issues, or offsides by our own players, or snap issues, or handoff issues the first few games due to lack of reps in preseason games...

Comment

Working...
                          X