• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I look for our HC to make good decisions and I don't think this is a good decision. That leaves room for me to be warry of what other decisions he'll be making. I hope this will be the only thing I disagree with him on for the entire decision but I don't think sitting our best players for the pre-season is a good idea.

I fear when the season starts our team will not be in sync and our early season games are against some very good teams.
    Sure hope the Bolts don't get off to a slow start due to this...after the first 3-4 games, we'll know for sure...I wonder if Staley's analytics guy crunched the numbers and found a lot of injuries in pre-season games...

Comment

• UglyTruth
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2018
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
      "I feel" is like the emergency blinkers of sentences. No, emergency blinkers don't magically let you park anywhere and "I feel" doesn't magically allow you to say anything without warrant but then distance yourself from it.
      I’m not distancing myself from it. I stand by every word I said. I FEEL and I BELIEVE that is what their trying to accomplish by pulling this move.
      Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
      - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
      - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
      - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
      - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
      - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
      - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Scott Green View Post
        Funny. The first pass Keenan Allen ever caught from Herbert was in the Chiefs game. Never caught a practice pass from him yet Herbert did just fine last year. Herbert, Allen, Derwin, Austin, they are pros and know what they are doing. Running five plays with no game plan against the other teams backups isn't going to help established players.
        I guess Tom Brady, Rob Gronkowski, Mike Evans etc are not established players.

I mean Brady only has more championship rings than Dean Spanos can even afford to buy from a jewelry store, doesn’t mean much I guess.

There’s a reason he wins title after title and it’s in large part because of preparation and he uses preseason for a chunk of it.
        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

I mean Brady only has more championship rings than Dean Spanos can even afford to buy from a jewelry store, doesn’t mean much I guess.

There’s a reason he wins title after title and it’s in large part because of preparation and he uses preseason for a chunk of it.
          If doing everything exactly the same way as Tom Brady does guarantees that you'd get the same results, sure. And then... that's what each and every wannabe QB would be doing, emulating Tom Brady's every move, right?

But that isn't what's happening. What do you figure *that* means?!?

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I look for our HC to make good decisions and I don't think this is a good decision. That leaves room for me to be warry of what other decisions he'll be making. I hope this will be the only thing I disagree with him on for the entire decision but I don't think sitting our best players for the pre-season is a good idea.

I fear when the season starts our team will not be in sync and our early season games are against some very good teams.
            That’s nothing different than any other year. September is preseason for the Bolts. Games don’t count until October.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Preseason games...
              --featuring Trey, Storm, Scott, and Ryan.
              --blocking asshat rookies trying to make rosters.
              --after Justin has all A+'s and perfect attendance in the classroom.

Maybe you can agree with Mr. J Lombardi...
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

That’s nothing different than any other year. September is preseason for the Bolts. Games don’t count until October.
                Of course, they don't count in the standings - but they do help a team to get in sync.

And, it is different - most years the starters play a little in the first two games - at least a series or two and often they play most of the first half.

But we're going to keep our starters healthy even if they have to learn to know each other in game one.

Did Staley order the bubble wrap for Herbert yet?
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Preseason games...

Preseason games...

We already know that Storm and Q and can't pass block worth a plug nickel. No further proof is needed.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Preseason games...

Exactly this ^

If I’m not rolling out my 5 starters on the OL, then I’m not rolling out my franchise QB. Simple as that. Keeping Herbertron off the field is a result of our need to keep Linsley and Bulaga healthy to start the season.

PLUS, if any of our OL vets do go down during the season, we’ll be glad the backups got all these preseason reps.

It’s a win-win.

Staley is playing 4D chess. Us fans are struggling to play tic tac toe. I know we’re all anxious to see Herb rip, but let’s let coach do his thing.

We’ll be better for it later.
                    Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                      Fluent in Sarcasm
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Iowa
                      • Man of the People
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

I’ve heard Brady credit his diet more than preseason for what he’s done, so let’s not pretend he’s out there singing the praises of preseason and what it’s done for his career. Just because guys aren’t playing in these meaningless games doesn’t mean they aren’t going through the preparation process for these games, which is minimal to begin with since there is no real game planning for your opponent.

Both the ‘08 Lions and ‘17 Browns were undefeated in the preseason before going 0-16. Preseason means nothing, having our guys healthy week 1 is and should be the priority, especially given this franchise’s luck with injuries.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                        Beef Before Gazelles
                        • May 2021
                        • Send PM

Of course, they don't count in the standings - but they do help a team to get in sync.
                        If Derwin James or Herbert get hurt in the pre-season? That *WOULD* count in the standings!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                          Smooth Operation
                          • May 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

I’ve heard Brady credit his diet more than preseason for what he’s done, so let’s not pretend he’s out there singing the praises of preseason and what it’s done for his career. Just because guys aren’t playing in these meaningless games doesn’t mean they aren’t going through the preparation process for these games, which is minimal to begin with since there is no real game planning for your opponent.

Both the ‘08 Lions and ‘17 Browns were undefeated in the preseason before going 0-16. Preseason means nothing, having our guys healthy week 1 is and should be the priority, especially given this franchise’s luck with injuries.
                          Tonight's dessert item.
                          Bucket of avocado ice cream.
                          We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                          X