Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
    If Tom freaking Brady, along with the rest of entire starting offense for the Bucs, can play in preseason games then Justin Herbert should be able to as well imo.

I think it’s important he develop some chemistry with his O line and new starting TE and some of the new receivers as well.

Not saying I’d play him the whole game but at least a few drives would do him some good.

I feel like this is being done on purpose so that if the Chargers get off to a bad start in the reg season then they can blame it on “lack of chemistry”. It’s all about politics and perceptions.

Derwin James is coming back from injury and you’d think they want to give him as many reps as possible so he gets used to playing against other teams again. Unless they believe he really is made out of glass and one preseason game can knock his ass out and put him back on IR.

Btw if you follow the Chargers beat writers on twitter, it’s been obvious that the offense has been struggling big time in the red zone in training camp. This was an issue last season as well. You’d think they want to give it a shot in a glorified practice against other teams to see how they do.
    This is one of the most insane sentences I've read in a while
    hahaha
    Well done sir.
    May I recommend a name-change to "ugly paranoia"?
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Comment

• UglyTruth
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Oct 2018
        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

This is one of the most insane sentences I've read in a while
        hahaha
        Well done sir.
        May I recommend a name-change to "ugly paranoia"?
        I didn’t say it as a fact and the “I feel” should be indicative of it being speculation.

Again, nothing else makes sense to me considering developing chemistry is very important and their forgoing that opportunity to do so. If a 45 yr old Tom Brady isn’t worried about injuries and taking hits in pre season then I fail to see why a 23 yr old Justin Herbert is sitting out.
        Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
        - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
        - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
        - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
        - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
        - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
        - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

^ This...Herbie needs reps with the new O-line...hope we don't see any sync issues, or offsides by our own players, or snap issues, or handoff issues the first few games due to lack of reps in preseason games...
          It’s not only new O-line, he has a brand new playbook, system and OC! They should want him to get as many reps as logically possible so he learn Lombardi’s system. Training camp reps against your own teammates are much different than playing against a completely different team.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Tol
            From Accounting
            • Mar 2019
            • Carlsbad
            • Send PM

This is coming week 1. I hope going up against Bosa and the coming preseason games will be enough to prepare Slater.

Last edited by Tol; 08-13-2021, 01:50 AM.

Comment

• equivocation
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2021
              • Send PM

"I feel" is like the emergency blinkers of sentences. No, emergency blinkers don't magically let you park anywhere and "I feel" doesn't magically allow you to say anything without warrant but then distance yourself from it.

Comment

• Scott Green
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post
                If Tom freaking Brady, along with the rest of entire starting offense for the Bucs, can play in preseason games then Justin Herbert should be able to as well imo.

I think it’s important he develop some chemistry with his O line and new starting TE and some of the new receivers as well.

Not saying I’d play him the whole game but at least a few drives would do him some good.

I feel like this is being done on purpose so that if the Chargers get off to a bad start in the reg season then they can blame it on “lack of chemistry”. It’s all about politics and perceptions.

Derwin James is coming back from injury and you’d think they want to give him as many reps as possible so he gets used to playing against other teams again. Unless they believe he really is made out of glass and one preseason game can knock his ass out and put him back on IR.

Btw if you follow the Chargers beat writers on twitter, it’s been obvious that the offense has been struggling big time in the red zone in training camp. This was an issue last season as well. You’d think they want to give it a shot in a glorified practice against other teams to see how they do.

Funny. The first pass Keenan Allen ever caught from Herbert was in the Chiefs game. Never caught a practice pass from him yet Herbert did just fine last year. Herbert, Allen, Derwin, Austin, they are pros and know what they are doing. Running five plays with no game plan against the other teams backups isn't going to help established players.

Comment

• Scott Green
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
                  This is coming week 1. I hope going up against Bosa and the coming preseason games will be enough to prepared Slater.

Slater is very familiar with Young and has shut him down. Nothing is guaranteed but Slater wont be overmatched against him. His game vs Young got him drafted as high as he was.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

I think a few reps before game one is a good idea, but it doesn’t need to be this week
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Per Staley, the reps Herbert gets at Jack Hammett prepare him better for the regular season than reps in Preseason games would.

Why are posters saying this shit ?

Have you already lost confidence in Staley ?
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        Per Staley, the reps Herbert gets at Jack Hammett prepare him better for the regular season than reps in Preseason games would.

Haven't lost confidence...it's just that a lot of us was wondering what's going on not playing Herbie in the preseason...the bolded part helps me to understand this a bit more...thanks for sharing...

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

I look for our HC to make good decisions and I don't think this is a good decision. That leaves room for me to be warry of what other decisions he'll be making. I hope this will be the only thing I disagree with him on for the entire decision but I don't think sitting our best players for the pre-season is a good idea.

I fear when the season starts our team will not be in sync and our early season games are against some very good teams.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X