Clear All
  • like54ninjas
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2017
    • Great White North
    • Draftnik
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Well if you think the coaches want Herbert to take hits for the hec of it to toughen him up or make him more durable (lmao) I think you are absolutely high. If you think having him play a series to throw a pass or two and hand off three times that will make him more ready,..... Yep, high again.

​​​​​​He won OROY with none of that last season. What other coaches do is their biz. If their players get hurt, I'm sure you would call them idiots.
    ​ Coaches have different reasons for playing a starter in preseason for a series.
    I concur with the exception of the “high” part.
    I’m often high and still don’t see the reason to risk key players for a few preseason snaps.
    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
    K9
    Nasir
    Tillery
    Parham
    Reed

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I see your point but Joint Practices are nothing like game time situation. The ebb and flow of game get established and you do post up on the 10 yard line for 10 situational snaps. I think we're all conflicted with the approach. IMO they should all get snaps in preseason. I would like to se 1/2 of football spit between games for starters.
      Originally posted by SuperCharged View Post

I see your point but Joint Practices are nothing like game time situation. The ebb and flow of game get established and you do post up on the 10 yard line for 10 situational snaps. I think we're all conflicted with the approach. IMO they should all get snaps in preseason. I would like to se 1/2 of football spit between games for starters.
      I agree. I never had a problem with them sitting Rivers but we have a young QB with just 15 games of experience.

If the Bolts start the regular season firing on all eight I'll give Staley credit for coming up with a different way to get a team ready. In fact, I'm sure many other teams will follow his lead if this works.

THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Heatmiser
        BetterToday ThanYesterday
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

I think what we are seeing from Staley is a big change to tradition and status quo. Inviting players to ‘negotiate’ training camp, tracking their steps, using dual fields from mini camp on, not playing starters in preseason, all this yoga activation stuff and on and on. We all wondered what the front office was talking about when they said they wanted an innovative head coach and coaching staff. Well we are seeing it. We know the Chargers of the past had tremendous injury issues. Yet many of us just want to repeat what had been done during those injury plagued seasons. The jury is out if all this innovation will pay off but at least they are trying something different. And this season has an extra game so need to somehow factor that in too.

Remember the NFLPA and many fans wanted to shorten/do away with preseason all together. And accused the owners of being greedy for only agreeing to reduce from 4 to 3 games.
        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I agree. I never had a problem with them sitting Rivers but we have a young QB with just 15 games of experience.

If the Bolts start the regular season firing on all eight I'll give Staley credit for coming up with a different way to get a team ready. In fact, I'm sure many other teams will follow his lead if this works.
          He's actually not the leader in this. He's picked up a lot from McVay and others. A lot of the warm up routine is brought over from the sports science group that he hired away from the Denver. The foundation of this was actually set in his mind by the training group at is division 3 School where he began his coaching career. He's taking bits and pieces from each one of his stops and formulated his own plan which is what you want in a coach IMO.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I’m often high and still don’t see the reason to risk key players for a few preseason snaps.
            Some people handle being high better than others lol. I for one, don't like being high. Don't like the feeling.

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

He's actually not the leader in this. He's picked up a lot from McVay and others. A lot of the warm up routine is brought over from the sports science group that he hired away from the Denver. The foundation of this was actually set in his mind by the training group at is division 3 School where he began his coaching career. He's taking bits and pieces from each one of his stops and formulated his own plan which is what you want in a coach IMO.
              Luke....use the coaching force!
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

I worry that their DL is going to kick our 2nd string OL’s asses all over the field in the game today.
                It's something to watch, for sure. This year's 2nd string OL isn't much better than last year's starters.
                I'll be looking for overall coaching & team unity to make them look better than you expect.
                Go Bolts!

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Happy Eddie Murphy GIF by Laff

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

I pulled one for you:

"Rashawn Slater may be in danger of losing his starting spot to backup left tackle Trey Pipkins who will undoubtedly do a solid job filling in at the starting spot."

Seems spot on to me.
                    :lmao::facepalm1::wtf::sigh::mybrainhurts:

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

Very well said!! I especially like the following from your post, which makes so much sense to me.. “There's a risk of injury on any snap. Minimize those chances by focusing on value added snaps only.”
                      Plus, risk of injury goes down when you don't take players to the ground. That's when players get hurt.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• equivocation
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2021
                        • Send PM

Concussions and CTE being what they are the teams that learn how to prepare without head contact will be at a significant advantage.

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Here's a potential waiver wire pickup

Thumbs Down: Sam Tevi

It’s reached the point where Tevi shouldn’t make the 53-man roster. After being permanently moved over to right tackle because he couldn’t hold up as a blindside protector, Tevi was routinely abused by the Vikings’ practice squad pass rushers in the second half.

Indianapolis would save over $2 million in cap space if they were to cut Tevi. At this rate, that seems like the smart option while rolling with Julien Davenport as their primary left tackle option behind Eric Fisher.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X