• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
    I have, what I think, is a legitimate question (or maybe concern?): are there problems with this offensive system? I wasn't too worried about the lack of production in these two preseason games, but then I read that multiple 49er players during the joint practice referred to the Chargers offense as soft and weak. Most of the plays and the scheme I have seen has been rather bland and frankly pretty soft and weak. Now, usually I would say, "well, it is vanilla because it is the preseason." But to have a 49er player mention the system in joint practice and then it being reflected in the preseason does have me worried.

Also, I checked for a comparison, and the Saints offense in preseason week one was about 350 yards of total offense against the Ravens. Chargers -- supposedly running a similar offense -- in week one against the Rams had about 250 yards of total offense, and last night about 160 yards. The average yards per pass is like 4 yards or something too. There has been running game -- which I would expect when you are relying on Pipkins and Norton. Anyway, not too inspiring at this point; not to be a negative Nancy...
    Reportedly, Staley doesn't want to reveal much in preseason...still, you have to at least PRACTICE some of those "secret plays" sooner or later preferably vs. other teams so they actually work in the regular season...

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Jaimes looks like a keeper. Funny, but if Bulaga can’t play the coaches could go with keeping Feiler at OG and putting Jaimes in at RT. We could start two rookie OTs!

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
        Jaimes looks like a keeper. Funny, but if Bulaga can’t play the coaches could go with keeping Feiler at OG and putting Jaimes in at RT. We could start two rookie OTs!
        I like what I am hearing about Jaimes too.. I think the better option is for Feiler to kick outside, which is his more natural position and Jaimes moves in at OG in case Bulaga is out for any extended period.

Is Okung still available via free agency? if so, I hope the Chargers are seriously considering bringing him into the fold, even if they have to overpay him for a single season. Okung tends to play well during his contract years..
        Last edited by BoltUp InLA; 08-23-2021, 12:32 PM.

Comment

• CivilBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

I like what I am hearing about James too.. I think the better option is for Feiler to kick outside, which is his more natural position and James moves in at OG in case Bulaga is out for any extended period.

Is Okung still available via free agency? if so, I hope the Chargers are seriously considering bringing him into the fold, even if they have to overpay him for a single season. Okung tends to play well during his contract years..
          I haven’t watched the preseason game against the Niners. I didn’t know we got desperate and started experimenting with Derwin as OL. JK.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by BoltUp InLA View Post

I like what I am hearing about James too.. I think the better option is for Feiler to kick outside, which is his more natural position and James moves in at OG in case Bulaga is out for any extended period.

When I looked today
            Okung
            Mitchell Schwartz
            Larry Warford
            Rick Wagner

DeCastro also not signed as hurt but might be available at some point

ARe any worse than Pip or Norton?

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Jaimes is a 4 year starter at OT in college. Not as big as you’d like for the pros but he has most of the mechanics on fucking lock. No team has a backup OT who can shut down elite edges, but a competent one would be a nice change. Sliding Feiler over might be better, I dunno. Just No to Pip/Storm.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Non guaranteed contracts.
                After Week One.
                Per CBA.
                As stated. our only hope ATM
                is development by Pipkins and Norton.
                I see Jaimes as first guy off bench.
                Feiler is essentially OT #3.
                Nothing revolutionary to bark about.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  After Week One.
                  Per CBA.
                  This this and this, yep.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AKFlyFisher View Post
                    I have, what I think, is a legitimate question (or maybe concern?): are there problems with this offensive system? I wasn't too worried about the lack of production in these two preseason games, but then I read that multiple 49er players during the joint practice referred to the Chargers offense as soft and weak. Most of the plays and the scheme I have seen has been rather bland and frankly pretty soft and weak. Now, usually I would say, "well, it is vanilla because it is the preseason." But to have a 49er player mention the system in joint practice and then it being reflected in the preseason does have me worried.

Also, I checked for a comparison, and the Saints offense in preseason week one was about 350 yards of total offense against the Ravens. Chargers -- supposedly running a similar offense -- in week one against the Rams had about 250 yards of total offense, and last night about 160 yards. The average yards per pass is like 4 yards or something too. There has been no running game -- which I would expect when you are relying on Pipkins and Norton. Anyway, not too inspiring at this point; not to be a negative Nancy...
                    Any team trotting out Pipkins and Norton on the oline in the joint practices is soft and week. If they have to play much, we’ll be in big trouble. I’m expecting much more when our starters actually play.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I haven’t watched the preseason game against the Niners. I didn’t know we got desperate and started experimenting with Derwin as OL. JK.
                      LOL! I meant Jaimes. I should know better! It's even pronounced differently too.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                        After Week One.
                        Per CBA.
                        I guess that makes sense. But if you can sign a veteran for the Veteran Minimum plus a nice signing bonus - its not that bad of a salary cap hit.

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Maybe they should take a look at Jaimes at OT. He shows up well at a OG and he did play OT in college. They sure can't be pleased with Pipkins and Norton.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X