• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

Staley isn’t responsible for cutting players. He can tell TT that Pipkins has no business playing professional football and should be bagging groceries instead at the nearest Whole Foods. But at the end of the day it’s up to TT whether or not he can put his ego aside and cut a player that he drafted in the top 3 rounds of a recent draft.

Not just Telesco but all GMs generally give their top 3 drafted selections more time to figure things out because of how it looks to cut a player that was drafted that high. Unless the player has off field issues too.
    Cutting or acquiring players is a collaboration between GM and the HC. Since Staley is the boots on the ground, if he wants to cut Pipkins because he thinks there are others that are better, then TT will cut him. This isn’t an AJ Smith and Marty situation.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Norton was clearly the better player vs SF.
      Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Norton was clearly the better player vs SF.
      That depends on the play - run or pass. Norton is not as good at run blocking.

It looks like neither of these guys is the best we can find but they are the choice we have now.

I'd consider swapping positions for Pip and Jaimes and see what we have.

Another thought - they aren't the starters and probably will play very little after this last preseason game.
      Last edited by chargeroo; 08-25-2021, 02:57 PM.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

SN was definitely better in passpro but not in the run game, imv.
        I'll take pass pro in a #2 OT every time. I've seen SN make some good run blocks on the edge in other games. He's better than Pip.
        VS the SF D, our blocking allowed pursuit from @ 180 deg. That was rough.

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Some of us remember an interesting quote from Matt Slauson, who said that in 2016, there was one O-lineman who was starting and Mike McCoy wanted him to be benched, but the Bolt Brass refused to do it...
          I don't remember that quote (shock!) but it sounds like hearsay.
          That OL was Dunlap- Franklin-Slauson- Fluker- Barksdale, right? I can think of some candidates.
          If so, I hope that the VP, GM, HC have a better working relationship today.
          * McCoy was basically sucking. Hi Anthony!

Comment

• UglyTruth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2018
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

Cutting or acquiring players is a collaboration between GM and the HC. Since Staley is the boots on the ground, if he wants to cut Pipkins because he thinks there are others that are better, then TT will cut him. This isn’t an AJ Smith and Marty situation.
            Sure Staley can give his input on it but TT makes the final decision. Just like TT could give his input on who should play snaps but Staley and his coaches makes the final decision on who plays and how much.

The GMs ultimately control personnel decisions and HCs ultimately control on-field decisions.
            Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
            - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
            - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
            - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
            - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
            - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
            - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Eurobolt
              *** Jim Harbaugh ***
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post
              You all need to chill out about Pipkins.

1. He is not getting cut. Period.
              — He is a 3rd year 3rd round player project from a D3 school. He will get his full 4 year contract to develop.
              2. Pipkins has improved/made progress.
              — Run blocking is drastically better vs his rook season. He’s very physical and gets movement @POA.
              ​​​​​​— Pass blocking on an island is a work in progress
              3. Should Pip get kicked inside to OG?
              — I say yes
              4. Who do we have behind him?
              — SN is not the answer either but currently better in passpro.
              5. 2022 draft has another deep OT class.
              — Don’t like Sammies? Go watch Trevor Penning tape from UNI
              I always respect your valuation etc.
              So no, we do not need to chill out about Pip.
              Ppl here lost faith in him. Few liked the pick but everyone gave him time (development) but he regressed / not developed.

I remeber that Pip was advertised as athletic with frame that he has something that cannot be coached the rest can be done, obviously another overvalution by TT and 3rd Rd crap shot.

Comon Ninja youneed to admit that if he looks like vs 49 after 3 years of development it is clear there will be no bread from this flour.

Pip is liability on this roster.

Comment

• Panamamike
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

Ppl here lost faith in him. Few liked the pick but everyone gave him time (development) but he regressed / not developed.

I remeber that Pip was advertised as athletic with frame that he has something that cannot be coached the rest can be done, obviously another overvalution by TT and 3rd Rd crap shot.

Comon Ninja youneed to admit that if he looks like vs 49 after 3 years of development it is clear there will be no bread from this flour.

Extremely raw and needed to build strength year one out of a D3 School.

Year two pretty much the entire offseason was wiped out by covid protocols which hurt many young players. Given where he started from. Was an important time of lost reps.

Yr3 ... Another new system/scheme/coaching.

I agree that he will get his full four years to prove he can develop or not. we shall see.

Comment

• Xenos
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

Year two pretty much the entire offseason was wiped out by covid protocols which hurt many young players. Given where he started from. Was an important time of lost reps.

I agree that he will get his full four years to prove he can develop or not. we shall see.
                  Year 1 was supposed to be his redshirt year as well. Sometimes you can ruin a prospect.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I could have sworn common forum folklore was that Marty cut Wes?
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

The system of how about blocking the edge rusher that is running right by you didn’t change that much
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Eurobolt View Post

Yes you all do need to chill.
                        Regardless of everyone’s bitching and moaning in here about Pip, he is going to be a Bolt for 2 more seasons.
                        He is in the beginning of his 3rd year (2nd with an offseason), in a different scheme, and with new coaching.

Regressed? Where?
                        Pip is noticeably bigger and carrying more mass on his frame. His power/movement in the run game is vastly better than in 19 or 20.
                        Passpro is an issue without question. He has not shown the required improvement protecting the arc.
                        Shouldn’t we attempt to move him inside to see if he excels at OG? This move would mitigate his trouble in space on the edge.

I do not know if Pipkins will become an NFL starting caliber OL. I would give him opportunities at OG to maximize his possible value. I am not ready to give up on him after 2 years, 1 of which was last year’s COVID fiasco.
                        My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• equivocation
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2021
                          • Send PM

Pipkins #1 area he needed to improve coming out was functuonal strength. He's clearly improved a lot there.

His run blocking has improved.

His pass pro at the edge has not improved.

C'mon guys, what do you do with an OT who can't protect the edge? You try him at guard. It's been done over and over and over in this league.

Drop the histrionics. It's super low cost to try it out, with potentially decent returns.

Comment

Working...
                          X