• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    BetterToday ThanYesterday
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Chargers are very thin at TE and other than McKitty none of them are known for their blocking. I know that McKitty is an unpopular draft pick mostly because of where he was picked, but have you guys truly seen that he is not looking good in camp or preseason games? Or are you basing cutting him on him not lighting it up the last two preseason games? I saw a couple nice blocks and a nice catch of a crap throw against the 49ers, but that was all I could see. Both Cook and Parnham will make the team. Anderson is a scrappy guy that I like. But he is not much of a blocker, unless it is as a 'move blocker' which is why I thought Nabors made the team. Its why Virgil kept making the team -- in line blocking in today's TE is pretty crappy and rare. Steve will likely tell us the day of inline blocking TE's is really largely gone and he would not be wrong, but finding a TE like Henry who can both catch and do it fairly well is a very rare and valuable commodity. That is why I think McKitty gets some rope here.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CivilBolt View Post

I’m glad he’s on our team. Sounds like a real dog out there.
      Agreed. I'm glad we have him too HOWEVER we cannot base our future success or failure on Derwin James and his game. He has got to prove he can play an entire season first and foremost and finish the season standing. Realistically we have to hope if he can't Mark Webb steps in and is solid and ready to ascend at the position.

After he went down last season our D gave up 26 points a game. By the way we are not going to be giving up 26 points a game this season? Right?

Comment

• CivilBolt
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Agreed. I'm glad we have him too HOWEVER we cannot base our future success or failure on Derwin James and his game. He has got to prove he can play an entire season first and foremost and finish the season standing. Realistically we have to hope if he can't Mark Webb steps in and is solid and ready to ascend at the position.

After he went done last season our D gave up 26 points a game. By the way we are not going to be giving up 26 points a game this season? Right?
        I don’t think so. Staley’s D was consistent last year on limiting the opponent from scoring a lot after halftime. I’m hoping the trend continues with the Bolts.
        Last edited by CivilBolt; 08-26-2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• UglyTruth
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2018
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post

Not impressed by Kelley but I’m pretty sure Staley was touting his ST acumen in a press conference just last week. JJ definitely doesn’t contribute on ST and can’t stay healthy, being a good runner for the 2 weeks a year he’s active doesn’t deserve a roster spot IMO.
          I think I read a BFTB article in which they said he doesn’t play STs. I’ll try to find it but perhaps I’m mistaken him for JJ.
          Tom Telesco’s Results in 9 years as Chargers GM:

- 69-74 record
          - 0 division titles in 9 yrs as GM
          - Worst record among all active GMs with same tenure
          - 6th worst winning percentage among all active GMs overall
          - 2 playoff wins despite elite QB all 9 yrs
          - Team still has the same weaknesses (Oline and run defense) that it had when hired as GM in 2013
          - Consistently puts together horrible depth, expects starters to never miss games

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I think I do remember Staley saying Kelley did well on punt protection team against the Rams. He messed up that stuff last season though.

Speaking of special teams, Guyton was mic'd up against the 49ers and kept talking about how nervous he was to catch a punt. And then he did it and said he was still nervous. Doesn't provide much comfort to fans to hear that. Surprised they left it in

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
              Fluent in Sarcasm
              • Jun 2013
              • Iowa
              • Man of the People
              • Send PM

Originally posted by UglyTruth View Post

I think I read a BFTB article in which they said he doesn’t play STs. I’ll try to find it but perhaps I’m mistaken him for JJ.
              I could also be the one confused. I know Kelley was playing ST last year, albeit with some big mistakes, but I can’t recall seeing JJ play at all during his time here. Honestly seeing what he went for I’m bummed we didn’t get Michel, he would have provided a great tandem with Ekeler.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                Chargers are very thin at TE and other than McKitty none of them are known for their blocking. I know that McKitty is an unpopular draft pick mostly because of where he was picked, but have you guys truly seen that he is not looking good in camp or preseason games? Or are you basing cutting him on him not lighting it up the last two preseason games? I saw a couple nice blocks and a nice catch of a crap throw against the 49ers, but that was all I could see. Both Cook and Parnham will make the team. Anderson is a scrappy guy that I like. But he is not much of a blocker, unless it is as a 'move blocker' which is why I thought Nabors made the team. Its why Virgil kept making the team -- in line blocking in today's TE is pretty crappy and rare. Steve will likely tell us the day of inline blocking TE's is really largely gone and he would not be wrong, but finding a TE like Henry who can both catch and do it fairly well is a very rare and valuable commodity. That is why I think McKitty gets some rope here.

TG
                I saw McKitty make a couple okay seal blocks and also a couple not okay seal blocks. He was also 1 for 2 on screen blocks that I saw.

He's not big or strong enough yet to really move a defender. He's willing to try, but that's about all I've seen.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

I hope to see at least a half for McKitty on Saturday. Let's get him some game experience and see what he can do. Don't hide him.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    I think I do remember Staley saying Kelley did well on punt protection team against the Rams. He messed up that stuff last season though.

Speaking of special teams, Guyton was mic'd up against the 49ers and kept talking about how nervous he was to catch a punt. And then he did it and said he was still nervous. Doesn't provide much comfort to fans to hear that. Surprised they left it in

TG
                    Better to have it happen in preseason.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Great White North
                      • Draftnik
                      • Send PM

My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                      K9
                      Nasir
                      Tillery
                      Parham
                      Reed

Comment

• Charge!
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                        I hope to see at least a half for McKitty on Saturday. Let's get him some game experience and see what he can do. Don't hide him.
                        I agree.... and I want him to catch more passes.... he looked good at catching passes and running after the catch at FSU. He was not used as much at GA.......

It appears at least that all of our TE's can catch, and it also appears that consistent blocking is the issue for all of them.... blocking can be learned through techniques and effort/practice.... at least they all have decent hands... which is good and means that any TE in the game could be a target on any pass play..... making us harder to defend.... though we do not have a Gates, Winslow Kelsey, or Kittle type of dominant TE.

will we, should we, keep 3 or 4?

Comment

• Formula 21
                          The Future is Now
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Republic of San Diego
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree.... and I want him to catch more passes.... he looked good at catching passes and running after the catch at FSU. He was not used as much at GA.......

It appears at least that all of our TE's can catch, and it also appears that consistent blocking is the issue for all of them.... blocking can be learned through techniques and effort/practice.... at least they all have decent hands... which is good and means that any TE in the game could be a target on any pass play..... making us harder to defend.... though we do not have a Gates, Winslow Kelsey, or Kittle type of dominant TE.

will we, should we, keep 3 or 4?
                          I think its 4, becasue we need three active and McKitty isn't ready.
                          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                          The Wasted Decade is done.
                          Build Back Better.

Comment

Working...
                          X