• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Funny thing how Andy Reid was a really good coach when he had Alex Smith and became a genius when he got Mahomes.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lyth View Post

I don't think our backs are right either. EK is good, but not the type of runner who can wear down a defense to give you those 1st downs in the 4th quarter. Tough to evaluate the rest with the line we have, but they don't seem like the answer to the problem of short, tough yards.
      Better to err on the safe side and go OL over a position that has been devalued like RB.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Our backs may be better than we think if we can get some better run blockers for the OL.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
          Our backs may be better than we think if we can get some better run blockers for the OL.
          That’s actually a great point. Ekeler is not a traditional between the tackles sort of back. And with our other guys I don’t think there’s anyone spectacular, but they’d probably look a lot better behind a solid O-line. We’ve seen it countless times where a decent back is made to look a lot better behind a really good O-line.

Comment

• CivilBolt
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

That’s actually a great point. Ekeler is not a traditional between the tackles sort of back. And with our other guys I don’t think there’s anyone spectacular, but they’d probably look a lot better behind a solid O-line. We’ve seen it countless times where a decent back is made to look a lot better behind a really good O-line.
            If we can keep our running backs clean behind the LOS, we’ll be golden. I think we have enough good RB in our stable. So yes solid OL will make a difference. Just look at what happened to Ezekiel Elliott, he became average/fumblelitis without his probowl OL.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              Funny thing how Andy Reid was a really good coach when he had Alex Smith and became a genius when he got Mahomes.
              He was also a great coach with Donovan McNabb

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                What is your grade for SF's Oline ?

I ask because we may be adopting some Shanahan principles, including inside zone blocking.

Many here would like to draft Creed Humphrey in round two, especially after the Senior Bowl yesterday.

For all the anchor and power Creed brings, he is not good out in space or at getting to the second level.

I am not so sure we don't keep going with Feeney, as someone who can excel with this new system.
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• alex8080
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I ask because we may be adopting some Shanahan principles, including inside zone blocking.

Many here would like to draft Creed Humphrey in round two, especially after the Senior Bowl yesterday.

For all the anchor and power Creed brings, he is not good out in space or at getting to the second level.

I am not so sure we don't keep going with Feeney, as someone who can excel with this new system.
                  I prefer Dickerson ability to handle dt but the injuries are just too often maybe. I agree that Fenway will be kept. And tevi I think could be a good lg. He started off as a dt and logically transition would be inside not ot. Fiannly id like to see more heavy ol formations for short yards. There has to be an athletic ot in the draft you could fit that bill and not cost early

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

This was an article written after Lombardi was fired in 2015. I think it’s good that he was humbled and expressed regret then. Hoping as always he turns it around here.
                    https://www.mlive.com/lions/2015/11/...ombardi_2.html
                    To that point, the offense's struggles had been the most frustrating aspect of the Lions' dismal start to the season. After an offseason filled with optimism, the unit wasn't scoring enough, was failing to consistently protect quarterback Matthew Stafford, couldn't run the ball efficiently and ranked dead last in turnovers.

It's unreasonable to pin all those issues on one individual, but Lombardi isn't interested in pointing fingers. He's only comfortable admitting he didn't perform his own job well enough.

"Listen, when it's the offense and you're the offensive coordinator, you have to take responsibility for it," he said. "There are a lot of variables that could have been different, that could have made it better, and enough of those were within my control. I try to focus on those."
                    Lombardi wasn't particularity interested in talking about his regrets coaching with the Lions. He doesn't want it to look like he is trying to pin blame on anyone else other than himself. But he bemoans not being able to do more to improve the team's ground game.

"When we were at our best in New Orleans, it was when we had an effective running game," he said. "It didn't necessarily have to be overpowering, but it was efficient. We struggled to get to that point. There's a lot of reasons why that happened.

"If you had it to do it over again, I don't have the answers for how exactly I would do it, but I would have tried to spend more time on that part of the game, where we got that better."
                    But Lombardi isn't making excuses. He's taking accountability for the offensive woes. His only regret is the team didn't win enough to buy him enough time to help turn things around.

"I certainly would have liked more time to get things moving in the other direction, but I get it," he said. "I understand why they made the move and no hard feelings on my part."

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                      This was an article written after Lombardi was fired in 2015. I think it’s good that he was humbled and expressed regret then. Hoping as always he turns it around here.
                      https://www.mlive.com/lions/2015/11/...ombardi_2.html

What that shows me is the character of the man. I have no idea whether he is a good coach or will be a good coach for us but he is an accountable coach. He doesn’t blame the GM or the players or the HC.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

I don’t know anything about the SF OL. What do you think of them?

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

I think the Niner's OL is a bit better than ours but I don't think they are one of the best. They do run block better than our OL does and it may be because of the blocking scheme they use, as opposed to the players. ??

I like Creed myself but as a G because I think Feeney is staying as our C. If we can land an OT in the draft that's good enough to step in as a rookie it may be that Tevi will become a G and a swing OT.

Wood, you know me, I'm never in favor of letting our starters go until I know we have someone else to step in for them. Even then, I'd think it's ideal if we can afford to keep them as our backups and let this years backups go.

I get excited thinking how good Herbert could be with a solid OL that could not only pass block but also run block! A solid run game is a best friend of a QB.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X