• Show
Clear All
  • Bearded14YourPleasure
    Fluent in Sarcasm
    • Jun 2013
    • Iowa
    • Man of the People
    • Send PM

Big Ben had the fastest average snap-to-throw time of any QB since 2012 last year. If Villanueva gave up more pressures and sacks than Tevi while protecting Big Ben getting the ball out in an average of 2.17 seconds then I’m going to pass 11 times out of 10. If he’s still available after the draft and he wants to come in for vet minimum to backup our rookie LT of the future then maybe.

Comment

• 21&500
      Bolt Spit-Baller
      • Sep 2018
      • A Whale's Vajayjay
      • CMB refugee
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
      Big Ben had the fastest average snap-to-throw time of any QB since 2012 last year. If Villanueva gave up more pressures and sacks than Tevi while protecting Big Ben getting the ball out in an average of 2.17 seconds then I’m going to pass 11 times out of 10. If he’s still available after the draft and he wants to come in for vet minimum to backup our rookie LT of the future then maybe.
      If this is accurate I will have to reconsider my position
      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Villanueva could be useful as a mentor for a rookie LT while serving as a back up, something Tevi could not bring to the table. That is the only reason I can think of why they would be interested in Villanueva. The other thing is they may have just wanted to completely clean house in the OL room and start over with a completely new starting group.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Villanueva could be useful as a mentor for a rookie LT while serving as a back up, something Tevi could not bring to the table. That is the only reason I can think of why they would be interested in Villanueva. The other thing is they may have just wanted to completely clean house in the OL room and start over with a completely new starting group, except for Bulaga.
          There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Longrobbdiego View Post
            All the talk about Villanueva declining, and allowing all those pressures, had me ready for us to re-sign Tevi as a backup, but obviously that ship has sailed. However, after looking into it a little bit more, Villanueva might be the best way to go. Last year, PFF had him graded at 74.6 overall...Tevi was 52.9. Also, while he did have 43 pressures allowed, he only allowed one more sack than Tevi, with roughly the same number of snaps. Seeing that, it's easy to buy into the idea that all those pressures allowed were morso the result of Big Ben holding the ball too long. I've heard Kelly's name thrown around a little bit, I don't know too much about him, but Villanueva has played LT his whole career, while Kelly is more of a RT, who has played some LT, so I don't know how good he would be in that role.

I think we should sign Villanueva if we could get him on an affordable enough contract, and most definitely pick a LT in the draft, 1st round, given the market, and depth of CBs in this class. Then, we would have Villanueva in case of injury, or if it turns out our rookie needs a little time to develop.
            Good post!

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Cincy reportedly now has interest.
              I would like for LAC to sign Villanueva late.
              ​​​​​A one year deal, while our promising, athletic, quick-footed OTs develop.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                He would be nice insurance especially if the first round pick is like Horn and second round is your OT. Give a year to develop - especially Walker Little type
                Good depth at worst

Comment

• rikardo
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  I agree
                  signing Villanueva would give the Chargers options in the draft

Would like the Chargers to sign a Vet CB and OT prior to the draft

Avoid teams to leap frog us for need picks, also we would be in a BPA mode

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post

I agree
                    signing Villanueva would give the Chargers options in the draft

Would like the Chargers to sign a Vet CB and OT prior to the draft

Avoid teams to leap frog us for need picks, also we would be in a BPA mode
                    Lots of UFA safeties are available too.

With the predicted 10 OTs going in the first three rounds,
                    there will surely be some interesting cuts in August.

We don't have to overdraft, or draft the wrong OT, should the stars not align.

We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                      Draftnik
                      • Oct 2020
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

He would be nice insurance especially if the first round pick is like Horn and second round is your OT. Give a year to develop - especially Walker Little type
                      Good depth at worst
                      A lot depends on Schwartz’s injury recovery. If he’s able to play in September, then a premature Villanueva signing would look utterly ridiculous.

Dennis Kelly is another intriguing one.

But yeah, if we end up with an OT in the 2-3rd round, signing one of those guys is paramount.
                      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post

A lot depends on Schwartz’s injury recovery. If he’s able to play in September, then a premature Villanueva signing would look utterly ridiculous.

Dennis Kelly is another intriguing one.

But yeah, if we end up with an OT in the 2-3rd round, signing one of those guys is paramount.
                        Mitchell Schwartz hurt too? I know Eric Fisher was hurt from the Chiefs

I like Kelly as I know he has played both Tackle spots. Its just more insurance if the OT is R2
                        Still hoping its R1 but don't want to reach for a player just to take tackle.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                          Draftnik
                          • Oct 2020
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Mitchell Schwartz hurt too? I know Eric Fisher was hurt from the Chiefs

I like Kelly as I know he has played both Tackle spots. Its just more insurance if the OT is R2
                          Still hoping its R1 but don't want to reach for a player just to take tackle.
                          Shoot, good catch. I meant to say Fisher. I get those two confused sometimes.

Fisher and Schwartz. Sounds like partners of an excellent law firm.

But I digress.
                          Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

Working...
                          X