• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Mike Florio and Chris Simms talk about rich owners in the NFL (like the guy who just bought the Broncos) and how they can build successful teams, even with the cap, with their money, that less wealthy owners can't match. The Raiders couldn't afford to pay Kahlil Mack a few years ago, for example. And the Raiders and Chargers are in the same boat financially, their owners are poor by NFL standards. This is why I think it's going to be difficult for the Spanoses to pay Herbert when it comes time for a new contract, and retain a quality team around him.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Mike Florio and Chris Simms talk about rich owners in the NFL (like the guy who just bought the Broncos) and how they can build successful teams, even with the cap, with their money, that less wealthy owners can't match. The Raiders couldn't afford to pay Kahlil Mack a few years ago, for example. And the Raiders and Chargers are in the same boat financially, their owners are poor by NFL standards. This is why I think it's going to be difficult for the Spanoses to pay Herbert when it comes time for a new contract, and retain a quality team around him.

I dont think paying Herbert will be a problem. Its still going to be money within the cap, more of it is just going to go to Herbert but a really rich owner can pay him a bigger bonus in the middle of the contract to bring the cap hit down.....that's the difference. Im not really worried about them not being able to extend Herbert.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

I dont think paying Herbert will be a problem. Its still going to be money within the cap, more of it is just going to go to Herbert but a really rich owner can pay him a bigger bonus in the middle of the contract to bring the cap hit down.....that's the difference. Im not really worried about them not being able to extend Herbert.
        That is my point - paying Herbert and having enough cap build and maintain a good team around him. My point is, that once they pay Herbert, they aren't going to be spend freely, like the Rams for example, to bring in or retain good talent to build a quality team around Herbert. Derwin also needs to get paid. They can afford to absorb Mack's contract, and go on a free agent binge to acquire players like J.S. Jackson, Sebastian Day-Jones and Austin Johnson because Herbert is on his rookie contract. When they start having to pay Herbert, those days will be over.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Can’t say one way or another about Dea’s credibility, have no effin clue, BUT, big but, what I know about Dean lends some credibility to the accusations. I know some posters here will automatically dismiss Dea solely because she’s female. That’s unfortunate and more telling about the folks posting than anything else. For those people, just pretend Dea is a man accusing her brother of mismanagement and incompetence, then take what you know of him from the decisions he’s made as owner and then maybe you can see some plausibility in what’s being alleged.

Me, I can’t believe I’ve actually shaken hands with the man, Dean looked me in the eye and said everything they were doing was designed to keep the chargers in San Diego. The complete opposite was true all along, I suspected it then so I wasn’t the least bit surprised when it turned out to be the case. I think going back to Alex they intended to move the team when the opportunity presented itself.

So yeah, I might not know a ton about who Dea is but I do have an inkling about who HE is. In regards to Dea, I think it’s telling that Alex made her co-manager of the trust but also that Alex entrusted her to run some of the other Spanos corporation businesses. As far as I know none of those businesses are being audited by the IRS. BTW the IRS is expanding it’s audit of the the Spanos trust, from one year (2015) to 5 years 2014-2019! Dea’s a highly educated corporate lawyer and being a woman and unlike Dean my guess is she probably had to ‘EARN’ her way into the role that her father entrusted her with. Otherwise she might be an afterthought like her sister Alexis.

I really don’t give a shit about any of these people one way or another but as a charger fan that pre-dates the Spanos era, I’d be lying if I didn’t admit I’m a bit excited at the prospect of new ownership. Me, I’m only on team Dea because I look forward to a post Spanos era. Dea is an accomplished business woman, she’s looking out for her best interest and the welfare of her family financially. She as co-chair of the trust has so much inside information that we don’t. If she has come to the realization that the ‘captain’ is driving the ship into a financial iceberg, I’m willing to at least listen. If for no other reason than I’m genuinely looking forward to new ownership
          It has nothing to do with her being a woman. If it was the exact same scenario but it was one of Dean’s brother instead, I would feel the same way. And this is based on reading about the situation from guys like Kaplan and Florio. It’s a sibling dispute over money. That’s what it is. Dea essentially lost her lawsuit from last year because it fell into arbitration under the NFL guidelines. She’s using this new lawsuit to get around it and get control of team in order to sell it.

As for new ownership, if we know for a fact that he/she will bring the Chargers back to SD and keep everything the same then sure. But it could easily have the opposite effect where the new owner changes everything and rebrand, and still not return to SD.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

That is my point - paying Herbert and having enough cap build and maintain a good team around him. My point is, that once they pay Herbert, they aren't going to be spend freely, like the Rams for example, to bring in or retain good talent to build a quality team around Herbert. Derwin also needs to get paid. They can afford to absorb Mack's contract, and go on a free agent binge to acquire players like J.S. Jackson, Sebastian Day-Jones and Austin Johnson because Herbert is on his rookie contract. When they start having to pay Herbert, those days will be over.
            Except the Rams can’t spend freely. Where did you get the idea that they could?

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Wont be able to go sign a JC Jackson but SJD they can. Thats where TT has to draft better.

Comment

• Xenos
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Wont be able to go sign a JC Jackson but SJD they can. Thats where TT has to draft better.
                If the Chargers were to follow the Rams strategy, they actually would go after a JC Jackson instead of an SJD due to positional value, and draft a DT instead.

And yes, TT would have to do a much better job of finding day 2 and 3 contributors.

Comment

• eaterfan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2020
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
                  It has nothing to do with her being a woman. If it was the exact same scenario but it was one of Dean’s brother instead, I would feel the same way. And this is based on reading about the situation from guys like Kaplan and Florio. It’s a sibling dispute over money. That’s what it is. Dea essentially lost her lawsuit from last year because it fell into arbitration under the NFL guidelines. She’s using this new lawsuit to get around it and get control of team in order to sell it.

As for new ownership, if we know for a fact that he/she will bring the Chargers back to SD and keep everything the same then sure. But it could easily have the opposite effect where the new owner changes everything and rebrand, and still not return to SD.
                  This isn't directed at you, but a decent number of people keep saying this team could move back to SD with a new owner.

This team isn't moving back to SD with our without a new owner. They have an awesome deal at SoFi. No one is paying LA prices to move a team to SD. It's like buying a tank of gas in CA right before hitting the AZ border.

Even if you think a new owner wants their own stadium they can buy land in LA and save a massive relocation fee. The LA market is so much bigger than the SD market. Heck, OC alone has roughly the same population as SD county.

An owner isn't getting subsidies in either place so why would they pay extra to acquire a team in LA and pay humongous relocation fee to move to a market less than 1/4 the size?

​​​​​

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

This isn't directed at you, but a decent number of people keep saying this team could move back to SD with a new owner.

This team isn't moving back to SD with our without a new owner. They have an awesome deal at SoFi. No one is paying LA prices to move a team to SD. It's like buying a tank of gas in CA right before hitting the AZ border.

Even if you think a new owner wants their own stadium they can buy land in LA and save a massive relocation fee. The LA market is so much bigger than the SD market. Heck, OC alone has roughly the same population as SD county.

An owner isn't getting subsidies in either place so why would they pay extra to acquire a team in LA and pay humongous relocation fee to move to a market less than 1/4 the size?

​​​​​
                    Agree. Though I think people just hate Spanos enough that a rich new owner would lead to less hate even if everything stays the same. I’m pretty much indifferent to Dean at this point. There are better owners. But there’s also a lot worse too.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

But why is she so motivated to sell? She knows her brother better than we do and we know enough to know he’s a moron with a high opinion of himself that simply inherited a bunch of money from his dad. That’s it, that’s the extend of what qualifies him to be president of the team. That and his other two siblings are currently supporting him and empowering him to continue as the head of the organization. That trust represents a LOT of money, if he’s putting it into default they all stand to lose a boatload of money. It’s one thing to sell the team high when there are no irregularities and a whole other to be forced to sell to pay debt. She’s trying to jump off a sinking ship before the trust blows up in their faces and when that type of money is involved I’m not sure I wouldn’t be doing the same thing.

The San Diego thing doesn’t factor into anything I wrote. A return to San Diego is NEVER going to happen and it has nothing to do with my wanting better ownership. Now that they’re in LA the NFL is completely invested in keeping them there and keeping the LA market as part of the league. I want the type of owner the Rams and the broncos have, people that are so wealthy that they don’t mind spending. They might still view the team as a long term investment but they might also see at as more than that, perhaps a reflection of their competitiveness. The Spanos have only ever cared about the chargers as an investment. So that’s my hope for my beloved Chargers a richer owner that can and will spend. The irony of the Spanos family moving the team to LA is that the franchise has now completely outgrown it’s ownership, LOL. The Chargers are big time now and that makes me happy, I still love San Diego to death, I live here, but I can also still love my bolts and LA has definitely taken the brand to a new level. Besides, my bolts were born in LA, they are the only truly original LA sports team in LA.

the whole San Diego thing reminds me of that famous line from Casablanca with Humphrey Bogart and you can’t erase 56 years of history, “we’ll always have San Diego”
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        Adam Streisand, who is repping Dea, is a for real MF'r
                        Wonder if Streisand is any relation to Babs...

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

But why is she so motivated to sell? She knows her brother better than we do and we know enough to know he’s a moron with a high opinion of himself that simply inherited a bunch of money from his dad. That’s it, that’s the extend of what qualifies him to be president of the team. That and his other two siblings are currently supporting him and empowering him to continue as the head of the organization. That trust represents a LOT of money, if he’s putting it into default they all stand to lose a boatload of money. It’s one thing to sell the team high when there are no irregularities and a whole other to be forced to sell to pay debt. She’s trying to jump off a sinking ship before the trust blows up in their faces and when that type of money is involved I’m not sure I wouldn’t be doing the same thing.

The San Diego thing doesn’t factor into anything I wrote. A return to San Diego is NEVER going to happen and it has nothing to do with my wanting better ownership. Now that they’re in LA the NFL is completely invested in keeping them there and keeping the LA market as part of the league. I want the type of owner the Rams and the broncos have, people that are so wealthy that they don’t mind spending. They might still view the team as a long term investment but they might also see at as more than that, perhaps a reflection of their competitiveness. The Spanos have only ever cared about the chargers as an investment. So that’s my hope for my beloved Chargers a richer owner that can and will spend. The irony of the Spanos family moving the team to LA is that the franchise has now completely outgrown it’s ownership, LOL. The Chargers are big time now and that makes me happy, I still love San Diego to death, I live here, but I can also still love my bolts and LA has definitely taken the brand to a new level. Besides, my bolts were born in LA, they are the only truly original LA sports team in LA.

the whole San Diego thing reminds me of that famous line from Casablanca the Humphrey Bogart and you can’t erase 56 years of history, “we’ll always have San Diego”
                          I don’t know why she’s so motivated to sell. Maybe she’s cash strapped herself and wants a bigger piece of the pie. Sibling dispute is nothing new. The Broncos bring a recent example after Pat Bowen died.

As I discussed in the other thread, a rich owner like Kroenke doesn’t really make that big of a difference because of the hard salary cap. And ultimately you still need to hire the right HC and draft well. Kroenke bought the Rams in 2010 but didn’t have success until he hired McVay in 2017. The crazy strategy that they’re employing now, where it looks like they’re spending money freely, is something that any team can try to employ, rich owner or not. Dean for his part has never had a problem signing off on spending the cap money available to the team.

Comment

Working...
                          X