• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

What, did spanos pay for your college tuition or something? What the hell am I missing here? Not truth just YOUR opinion, there’s no way your going to convince the vast majority of actual charger fans that the chargers stand to do worse and couldn’t do a HELL of a LOT better!!! Their are some truly rich TRULY rich people out there that could afford to give this team the type of edge that the walmart folks just gave the broncos, the edge that the other walmart people gave the rams in 2021, the type of edge the bucaneer owners gave their team in 2020, etc…can you see the Spanii hiring a 20mil/year HC like payton? Gimme a break already with the pro spanos stuff, it doesn't belong in any “pro charger” forum…
    No, they didn’t pay for anything lol. Nor have I ever met or interacted with them. I was upset about them leaving SD for LA, but I rather they do that than force SD pay for their stadium like almost every other owner in the NFL including guys that should be able to afford it.

In terms of being a richer owner, I just don’t see that being as big of an advantage as people make it out to be in the NFL because of the hard salary cap in place. With HC, you see guys like McVay and Shanahan make a smaller amount initially for being first time HCs before getting their big pay raise. Which I don’t see the Spanos having a problem paying if someone like Staley ever has big success. They had no problem giving Marty a nice extension and raise after 2004 for example. Once they moved to LA, they didn’t seem to have a problem paying all the additional coaches that Staley wanted. They basically paid Moore as much as Jerry did to be OC.

Additionally, it seems that rich owners haven’t always translated their money to success like Snyder, Haslam, Tepper, McNair etc. And then you look at smaller market teams like the Bengals having success now.

Things I do want Spanos to be better at is investing more in sports science, nutrition, and analytics. A new facility will help with some of our injury concerns. But they need to continue investing in those three areas.
    Last edited by Xenos; 03-28-2023, 05:15 PM.

Comment

• Xenos
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

I assure you there is NOTHING silly about having her brother hold her 1 billion dollar inheritance hostage!

I’d be doing the same shit or even worse to get my money, fuck him, why does he get to keep her hangin on when she just wants her cut? That shit is fucked up and you know it…
      Sounds like before the lawsuit, the sale for her share would have taken place in 2024. After the lawsuit, maybe still 2024. Don’t think it was worth it.

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

No, they didn’t pay for anything lol. Nor have I ever met or interacted with them. I was upset about them leaving SD for LA, but I rather they do that than force SD pay for their stadium like almost every other owner in the NFL including guys that should be able to afford it.

In terms of being a richer owner, I just don’t see that being as big of an advantage as people make it out to be in the NFL because of the hard salary cap in place. With HC, you see guys like McVay and Shanahan make a smaller amount initially for being first time HCs before getting their big pay raise. Which I don’t see the Spanos having a problem paying if someone like Staley ever has big success. They had no problem giving Marty a nice extension and raise after 2004 for example. Once they moved to LA, they didn’t seem to have a problem paying all the additional coaches that Staley wanted. They basically paid Moore as much as Jerry did to be OC.

Additionally, it seems that rich owners haven’t always translated their money to success like Snyder, Haslam, Tepper, McNair etc. And then you look at smaller market teams like the Bengals having success now.

Things I do want Spanos to be better at is investing more in sports science, nutrition, and analytics. A new facility will help with some of our injury concerns. But they need to continue investing in those three areas.
        I do think that deep pockets do matter. I do think that in a league with a salary cap that creates parity that spending more on coaching (as well as what you suggest in sports science, nutrition and analytics) matters. I do think that the recent survey results produced by the NFLPA that has the Chargers among the worst franchises matters and is a reflection of the Spanos not running a first class organization and investing necessary $ in the team. I do think that nepotism is not a great approach to having the best leaders and talent evaluators running the team.

There’s a lot wrong with the Spanos as an owners. Sure it’s not fair to say “cheap” since we always spend to the cap, but there are a lot of other things to invest in to give your team an edge and they don’t invest at the same level as the best organizations.

I sure as hell feel like we deserve better…

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

I do think that deep pockets do matter. I do think that in a league with a salary cap that creates parity that spending more on coaching (as well as what you suggest in sports science, nutrition and analytics) matters. I do think that the recent survey results produced by the NFLPA that has the Chargers among the worst franchises matters and is a reflection of the Spanos not running a first class organization and investing necessary $ in the team. I do think that nepotism is not a great approach to having the best leaders and talent evaluators running the team.

There’s a lot wrong with the Spanos as an owners. Sure it’s not fair to say “cheap” since we always spend to the cap, but there are a lot of other things to invest in to give your team an edge and they don’t invest at the same level as the best organizations.

Nepotism unfortunately exists regardless of owners. Unless said owners doesn’t have kids.

The NFLPA grades were good to know in areas to improve on but not exactly something you can point to as really correlated to winning.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

The cap is not part of the owners profits, they have to spend most of the cap by league rules otherwise some of these guys wouldn’t even do that…so when people talk about the cap they need to realize that the team has to spend that money anyways, sure, there are creative ways that they can avoid spending most of the cap and the chargers have been doing that for years up until this recent spending spree…

the stuff that nobody talks about is the rest of what the owners provide their employees, everything from medical care to, to nutrition, to training, to travel accommodations both in the air and hotel rooms too, you don’t have to provide “massage hotels” like the texans did (the owner of the texans is a pimp) but that’s neither here nor there…

I’ll never forget what LT said about the way the jets treated him in new york, him and his wife had been thru several miscarriages while he was with the chargers and the owner of the jets hooked them up with some of his ‘personal’ physicians and she had there baby successfully there…to this day LT said the jet’s saved their daughter’s life…it’s stories like that that most fans don’t even pay attention to or care to know about, the ‘human element’ the Spanos fall into the category of owners that see their players as assets on a spread sheet…know one knows better than the owners what these young men put their bodies thru and they profit from that shit! Some of these guys might be rich but not all of them are rich assholes…some of them actually have a conscience.
            Last edited by Fouts2herbert; 03-28-2023, 10:00 PM.
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

It’s true.
              Ringing endorsement. Perfectly average. Middle of the pack. Probably lower tier to be honest. There’s a couple of owners who are worse but just a couple.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                FUdean
                • Dec 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Ringing endorsement. Perfectly average. Middle of the pack. Probably lower tier to be honest. There’s a couple of owners who are worse but just a couple.
                QFT.

AND THE FUKER MOVED MY TEAM AWAY FROM MY HOMETOWN!!!

FUdean.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

LOL, I doubt the three siblings combined can afford to buy out her 9% share of the trust, let alone the other 15% stake she owns in the team…

So help my understand why you speak out against dea, FACT she inherited 24% of the chargers from her parents, FACT she’s entitled to cash out if she doesn’t want to be tied to the team…FACT out of sheer desperation she’s had to sue her brother to get the ball rolling…please explain yourself, why is she doing anything wrong here, she CLEARLY just wants the money that she’s ENTITLED to by rights of inheritance…I don’t understand what your beef with dea is, she’s our best hope to get new ownership, how in the hell is that a bad thing?
                  I thought, and Xenos can correct me, tat he simply meant that he doesn’t believe Dea’s big concern is charities or mismanagement or any of that stuff. It’s as you said - she’s getting up in years and she just wants her part of the inheritance in cash, not box seats o games she’s not that interested in going to or equity notes she can’t spend. She wants out, a rough billion or so (hundred mil here or there) sounds really good to her. Her lawyers devised a legal strategy based on this goal because as others noted - what billionaire is out there that wants to buy her 24% non-controlling interest?

edit: and I don’t assess that motive is bad, good, or otherwise. Just guessing at real purpose of her actions.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

There’s more than a couple:
                    Mark Davis, Haslam, McNair, maybe Mike Brown until recently, Snyder, Ford, Irsay, Khan, Bidwell, Tepper so far, Ross, Johnson, maybe Strunk, Jerry Jones since his falling out with Jimmy in the 90s.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I thought, and Xenos can correct me, tat he simply meant that he doesn’t believe Dea’s big concern is charities or mismanagement or any of that stuff. It’s as you said - she’s getting up in years and she just wants her part of the inheritance in cash, not box seats o games she’s not that interested in going to or equity notes she can’t spend. She wants out, a rough billion or so (hundred mil here or there) sounds really good to her. Her lawyers devised a legal strategy based on this goal because as others noted - what billionaire is out there that wants to buy her 24% non-controlling interest?

edit: and I don’t assess that motive is bad, good, or otherwise. Just guessing at real purpose of her actions.
                      Yeah I don’t believe the original lawsuit about charities and what not. I think she just wanted her shares, and maybe more if she was trying to get the entire team, to be sold to get money. And it sounded like Dean was going to put up her share for sale anyways in 2024.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

There’s more than a couple:
                        Mark Davis, Haslam, McNair, maybe Mike Brown until recently, Snyder, Ford, Irsay, Khan, Bidwell, Tepper so far, Ross, Johnson, maybe Strunk, Jerry Jones since his falling out with Jimmy in the 90s.
                        I’ll agree with Davis, McNair, Snyder (who’s out soon) and Haslam. Irsay is a weirdo but has a trophy, Khan has JaX poised to control their division. Maybe Bidwell but that’s it

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I’ll agree with Davis, McNair, Snyder (who’s out soon) and Haslam. Irsay is a weirdo but has a trophy, Khan has JaX poised to control their division. Maybe Bidwell but that’s it
                          I’m looking at history as well. Irsay has a trophy but he also is super meddling and causes too much drama behind the scenes. Not to mention his off the field issues. Same thing with Jerry since he fired Jimmy. Can’t win because he has to meddle. Khan finally seems to be on the right track finally but also hired Urban Meyer the year before. Some of the others I listed also have the same annoying drama BTS especially in the coaching area like Ross, Johnson, and Bidwell. Ford just doesn’t have the record yet. Same with Tepper even though it’s only been five years. Mike Brown is also cheaper than Dean when it comes to non player stuff. They have a five men scouting team only for example. No actual GM either.
                          Last edited by Xenos; 03-29-2023, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X