• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Critty
    Dominate the Day.
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

Dean should have looked South, not North with a vision for the future of the Chargers brand.

Should have found a way to get a deal done in San Diego.

Had a plan to play 2 games a year South, then eventually play a 3rd game South. 1 pre-season game. 1 regular season. And then pushed the league to have that 17th extra game always be in South America.

Mexico City, 1 regular season home game each year.
    Rotate 1 pre season home game in South America each year.
    Rotate the 17th extra game in South America each year.
    San Paolo, Brazil
    Lima, Peru
    Santiago, Chile
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Bogota, Columbia
    Caracas, Venezuela
    Rio de Janero, Brazil

San Diego still gets 7 regular season home games and 1 pre season home game. Plus home playoff games.

Schedule with the NFL to always get the bye week after the trip to the South American City.

Sell your Brand to new markets, instead of the move to LA where they told you they didn't want you.

Sell some exclusive package ticket deals to season ticket holders to make the trip to South America Cities game.

Get talked about a lot in sports news because of the business move to play games South America. Get talked about on game day when it's in one of those cities. Gets global sponsorships because of the marketing South of San Diego.

IMO, the LA move was a checkers business move.
    But a plan to market South would have been a chess move.
    Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

As tempting as it is, please don't re-litigate the move from San Diego. There's lots to discuss about the business skills of the ownership since the move, though.

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
        Dean should have looked South, not North with a vision for the future of the Chargers brand.

Should have found a way to get a deal done in San Diego.

Had a plan to play 2 games a year South, then eventually play a 3rd game South. 1 pre-season game. 1 regular season. And then pushed the league to have that 17th extra game always be in South America.

Mexico City, 1 regular season home game each year.
        Rotate 1 pre season home game in South America each year.
        Rotate the 17th extra game in South America each year.
        San Paolo, Brazil
        Lima, Peru
        Santiago, Chile
        Buenos Aires, Argentina
        Bogota, Columbia
        Caracas, Venezuela
        Rio de Janero, Brazil

San Diego still gets 7 regular season home games and 1 pre season home game. Plus home playoff games.

Schedule with the NFL to always get the bye week after the trip to the South American City.

Sell your Brand to new markets, instead of the move to LA where they told you they didn't want you.

Sell some exclusive package ticket deals to season ticket holders to make the trip to South America Cities game.

Get talked about a lot in sports news because of the business move to play games South America. Get talked about on game day when it's in one of those cities. Gets global sponsorships because of the marketing South of San Diego.

IMO, the LA move was a checkers business move.
        But a plan to market South would have been a chess move.
        donald trump whatever GIF by Mashable
        Last edited by Boltjolt; 04-03-2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• BoltBacker
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Las Vegas, NV
          • Send PM

Forbes valued the Chargers at $2.6 billion. If they go on the market I will be shocked if they go for anything less than $3B. The Clippers went for $2B as the second team NBA in LA, the Chargers I would argue are in a closer battle for LA with the Rams than the Clippers with the Lakers which isn't even close.

Carolina sold for $2.275 billion. With the LA market it would be easy to see a bidding war break out amongst Billionaires.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

donald trump whatever GIF by Mashable
            :demonkid:

Comment

• gzubeck
              Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
              • Jan 2019
              • Tucson, AZ
              • Send PM

More from our favorite sports Gossip columnist!

:Cheers1:
              Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SDFan
                Woober Goober
                • Jun 2013
                • Dolores, CO
                • Retired
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post
                As tempting as it is, please don't re-litigate the move from San Diego. There's lots to discuss about the business skills of the ownership since the move, though.
                pre-move Deano was no Mark Davis either :fart:
                Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• aaronk333
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2021
                  • Send PM

I created this account just for this question lol...

With the Spanos family in the news all of the Dean Spanos hate seems to be resurfacing. I grew up in San Diego but moved away in the late 1990's. I moved back about 2 years ago but was not around when all of the controversy with them moving happened (it did bleed over into the Nor Cal sports market but it wasnt covered that much).

Anyway, I have searched online and cannot find any reasonable explanation as to why people hate the Chargers ownership. So far here is what the hate is centered around:

---> Hes very cheap and doesnt pay for a lot of the same amenities (for his players) as other franchises, the organization has always had its ups and downs with no championship, and he moved the team to LA when SD wouldnt buy him a new stadium through a hotel tax.

Now putting aside the cheapness and losing, I think the main reason why they hate the chargers ownership is that they wanted a new stadium and had to move to get one But this has always confused me and I don't understand why for these reasons:

1) The Chargers could not continue to play in Qualcom stadium. Even the biggest charger supporters who went to games said that that stadium was probably the 2nd worst in all of football. They looked into more renovations and other upgrades and concluded that it would be very costly and would not improve the stadium to such an extent that the cost would be worth it. So they needed a new stadium,

2) The Chargers ownership did not have the money to buy a new stadium because the majority of their wealth is solely from the chargers. Further, the cost of building in SD or LA or any part of CA is extremely expensive. It would have cost 2-3 times more to build a stadium in CA then TX.

---> So if San Diego wanted to keep the chargers they needed to have a place for them to play. I have no idea why people hate the chargers ownership for the decision to move. What exactly was going to happen if the chargers continue to play in qualcom and the whole stadium became an unsafe structure? Then where do the chargers play? Did people in San Diego expect the chargers to then move to some parking lot or high school stadium and play there?

It just seems to me like the people of San Diego wanted the chargers to stay but did not want to pay for a new stadium. They just wanted to the chargers to play in a dilapidated stadium until it became unsafe??? I dont get it. They had no choice but to move. Why hate them for that? (especially considering they could have moved out of state to Las Vegas or San Antonio or some other far away place. They also moved to a place that is 2 hours north and charger fans can still go to the games if they want. They still have the same team name and colors/appearance and everything)

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Before the team moved, I'm not sure people hated Spanos, but they certainly thought he was a weak, undercapitalized and ineffective owner. He was judged by his record and there have been a few good years but the team has been a second tier organization under him. It also doesn't help that Spanos is very private and doesn't engage with the fanbase. A lot of good things done behind the scenes with local charities went unnoticed because they don't play the PR game They haven't won consistently on the field and he was unable to get a new stadium deal here. I don't blame him for the move nearly as much as a lot of people do as the city of San Diego is as bumbling as Spanos is and short of financing the entire stadium himself, something not possible with the lack of capitalization, it was never going to happen here. I know a lot of people upset with the move who used to claim the "loyal to the soil" argument and cursed him and swore off the Chargers, all the while rooting for the Lakers in LA which I find ironic.

Comment

• Critty
                      Dominate the Day.
                      • Mar 2019
                      • Send PM

What?
                      It's not hard to hate a wealthy person who tried to leverage fans love of their team into getting hundreds of millions of dollars in taxpayer welfare. And then when offered a buttload of money said no to the deal because I want the stadium in a different place.
                      ​​​​​
                      Firing a 14-2 HC saying it had to happen to build a championship and then 15 years later still no Championship.
                      Also, not actually earning ownership of Chargers through his own efforts but gifted it by his Dad who actually did the work to earn ownership of the team.
                      Moving the team and paying rent because he cant afford to build his own stadium.
                      And firing consultant who recommended he change how he does business. What is the point of a consultant if you only want him to agree with you.
                      The fight for LA moto and logo marketing fail.
                      Bosa holdout over offset money. Other holdouts....
                      Etc...etc..
                      He may be a nice man.
                      But he deserves all the hate he gets for how he does business and his inability to create enough capital of his own to do big capital projects that would improve his business.

So sell the damn team if you cant afford to do anything except let the stadium fall apart and beg for money. Blaming the city or anyone else for his inability to create capital to improve his own business...... Is like you blaming your customers of your restaurant for your inability to save and upgrade your own kitchen. And even worse the customer offered cash to help you upgrade the kitchen and you turned it down because you wanted a ocean view to go with it.

Pretty obvious why he is hated. But, It's not personal hate.
                      It's business.
                      Just pick your reason from above or one of many others you may have.

Comment

• SuperCharged
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2019
                        • Utah
                        • Midnight Toker
                        • Send PM

Jesus.... I need a drink.... I just agreed with everything Critty just said. :mcnugget::mcnugget::mcnugget:

I just recall vividly the stadium vote FAILED miserably.

Comment

• Fleet
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Cardiff - Poipu
                          • Send PM

aaronk333 welcome to the forum. Had to merge your thread...

Your thread will get a bunch of former fans logging in and just creating a shit storm. We all have expressed our distaste for the owner quite enough since the move. I dont think we need to rehash this. We have a thread dedicated to the potential sale of the team and that is sort of being used as our anti ownership thread. No need to create more spanos threads. They simply turn into more spanos threads. Just the way it works here. I miss many of our members that left over the move....but having them log in just to slam the team? Not the way i want them to say hi to the community they were once part of for so many years. If they want to chime in...they can do so in this thread.

Comment

Working...
                          X