• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • foreigner
    Tom Telesco is gone
    • Sep 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I believe Dean Spanos has the right intentions, with the team and with the Trust's obligations, I just think he is in over his head trying to manage the team's and the family's finances, as is the other members of the family. I believe Dean really wants to build a Lombardi winning franchise, especially now that he has the best young QB in the league, does he have the moxie to make it happen, given the limited financial resources he has to work with?
    That's what I dont understand, say the CAP has limit of 180million per year, how much does a team really spend above that in the players? in theory? nada! that's all he has to invest, 180million.

But of course I am possibly wrong and ask again, in average how much does a team spend above the cap every year?

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan
      I am curious why Chargers didnt try to sign Tarell Basham given they have zero pass rush. Titans who actually have a good defensive line were happy to grab him.
      Because Spanos is too cheap. I really believe Spanos is operating this franchise on razor thin budgets because the family simply doesn’t have the liquidity most NFL owners do.

Obviously they have to spend the cap on players. But look at the more discretionary spending like coaches. They are all bargain basement newbies that fetch relatively tiny salaries.

A tell was the Spanos sister that sued because they had to siphon money away from her charitable trust.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2022
        • White Rock, BC Canada
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Because Spanos is too cheap. I really believe Spanos is operating this franchise on razor thin budgets because the family simply doesn’t have the liquidity most NFL owners do.

Obviously they have to spend the cap on players. But look at the more discretionary spending like coaches. They are all bargain basement newbies that fetch relatively tiny salaries.

A tell was the Spanos sister that sued because they had to siphon money away from her charitable trust.
        Pretty lame.

How can you not be profiable in the cash cow the NFL is .

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Pretty lame.

How can you not be profiable in the cash cow the NFL is .
          Ask Dea Spanos.

In her lawsuit she contends the Spanos family trust are all but insolvent, that Dean’s decision to move the Chargers to Los Angeles has proved financially ruinous and that the family has no option but to sell the team to satisfy the trust's debt obligations, which she says are currently in excess of $358 million.

The lawsuit has been dropped but does that sound like ownership that has the wherewithal to spend freely on quality replacements for your injured before a trade deadline, or one that says make do with practice squad flunkies and newbie cheap coaching staffs?

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Ask Dea Spanos.

In her lawsuit she contends the Spanos family trust are all but insolvent, that Dean’s decision to move the Chargers to Los Angeles has proved financially ruinous and that the family has no option but to sell the team to satisfy the trust's debt obligations, which she says are currently in excess of $358 million.

The lawsuit has been dropped but does that sound like ownership that has the wherewithal to spend freely on quality replacements for your injured before a trade deadline, or one that says make do with practice squad flunkies and newbie cheap coaching staffs?
            This is not good news, at all.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
              FUdean
              • Dec 2022
              • Send PM

Ask Dea Spanos.

I don’t think it’s been dropped.

Dea Berberian claimed selling the team was the only way to pay the family trust's debt, but a new motion suggests selling just a portion.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Sounds like they should sell the team :anchorjump:

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                  Sounds like they should sell the team :anchorjump:
                  POTD

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post

I don’t think it’s been dropped.

https://theathletic.com/3497834/2022...chargers-sale/
                    The issue is that there is no legal ground for Dea to get any traction with.

NFL insists that language be built into all ownership transactions that ensures stability.

Dea signed it.
                    Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

As a sidebar, it is reported that Daniel Snyder is the culprit in the leaking of damning emails of Jon Gruden. Commanders sale is now inevitable because of the incredible NFL liability created by Snyder. Gruden has serious leverage.

Back to the Chargers. The NFL is serious big business. They like stability. And they have good lawyers, both for contracts and for litigation.

Dea gots nuttin' .
                      There is no basis.
                      Maybe we do play modern football.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

The issue is that there is no legal ground for Dea to get any traction with.

NFL insists that language be built into all ownership transactions that ensures stability.

Dea signed it.
                        Whether or not she wins the lawsuit isn’t the point.

It’s what she revealed in the lawsuit about the financial distress the Chargers are facing and my take is this is why they hire inexperienced cheap coaches and balk at paying for the talent they needed before the trade deadline.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Whether or not she wins the lawsuit isn’t the point.

It’s what she revealed in the lawsuit about the financial distress the Chargers are facing and my take is this is why they hire inexperienced cheap coaches and balk at paying for the talent they needed before the trade deadline.
                          You talking about the contracting business or the Chargers? The team is worth a LOT more than they have invested and is fine financially. If you are suggesting that they are cheating the NFL to move money into other areas, Dea would win her case, which she is not.

Comment

Working...
                          X