Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Steve Young would have been a first-round pick in the 1984 NFL Draft if he hadn't signed the richest contract in pro football history with the USFL. He was a Heisman Trophy candidate who developed in the BYU offensive system that was coordinated by Mike Holmgren, who worked for Bill Walsh shortly thereafter. Huntley was an undrafted free agent who had nowhere near the talent or training Steve Young possessed coming out of college. There is no comparison between the two.
    The point of my post was not a comparison between Huntley and Young. The point was that QBs with very different styles can play in the same offense with the offense still being bale to function well. I might also add that Huntley can pass from the pocket with reasonable effectiveness. He has arm talent. That said, NFL playbooks are bigger than the passing game strengths of any one QB. My understanding is that NFL playbooks tend to be fairly large, especially the one used by the Saints that we have to a large degree adopted. The players learn the playbook, not just the limited set of plays that the starting QB runs best.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steve View Post

If they are forced to play off, why isn't Guyton making a ton of short catches or crossers? He played a lot more snaps that Palmer and yet had similar catches. Your logic seems to fail in that Palmer was getting the ball more frequently (or efficiently).
      Serious question here. Did you not see that Herbert basically almost never looked for Guyton first or second? Guyton was both underutilized and misused last year. Further, there was a clear team coaching front office bias in favor of Palmer from day one and it continues to exist to this day. I definitely agree that the offense looked for Palmer at a higher percentage rate when he was in the game and they did so even though he was consistently getting less separation than Guyton was.

I posted about Lombardi's misuse of our WRs and poor play calling throughout most of last season. There were almost zero dialed up shot plays where Guyton was the primary target. Keenan Allen was running medium/medium deep crossing patterns (absolute last WR on our roster we want to be doing that), which directly led to two INTs.

Comment

• equivocation
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2021
        • Send PM

I think we should be careful not to trash current players just to score forum points. Discussing weaknessess is one thing; denigrating is another

Comment

• dmac_bolt
          Day Tripper
          • May 2019
          • North of the Lagoon
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

Send him to Cabo!!!!
          You know, i became impolite at times in this thread. I feel remorse, perhaps regret, but thats not really enough. I should be sent to Cabo too. Its the only way I’ll learn.
          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• kgbpasha
            #болтап
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Guyton is GAWD!
            Herbert should throw to him on every play.
            He's like a faster version of Randy Moss but no one can see it
            besides me. That's weird.
            #boltup

Comment

• SuperCharged
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Utah
              • Midnight Toker
              • Send PM

Originally posted by kgbpasha View Post
              Guyton is GAWD!
              Herbert should throw to him on every play.
              He's like a faster version of Randy Moss but no one can see it
              besides me. That's weird.
              #boltup
              :facepalm1::facepalm1::shock::help:

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

Palmer looks a little bigger and more ripped to me. I hope he hit the weight room hard this offseason. Stronger faster #5 would be huge for our #3WR.:chuckle:
                Last edited by SuperCharged; 07-29-2022, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Steve
                  Administrator
                  • Jun 2013
                  • South Carolina
                  • Meteorologist
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Serious question here. Did you not see that Herbert basically almost never looked for Guyton first or second? Guyton was both underutilized and misused last year. Further, there was a clear team coaching front office bias in favor of Palmer from day one and it continues to exist to this day. I definitely agree that the offense looked for Palmer at a higher percentage rate when he was in the game and they did so even though he was consistently getting less separation than Guyton was.

I posted about Lombardi's misuse of our WRs and poor play calling throughout most of last season. There were almost zero dialed up shot plays where Guyton was the primary target. Keenan Allen was running medium/medium deep crossing patterns (absolute last WR on our roster we want to be doing that), which directly led to two INTs.
                  It's not the QB's choice who to go for 1st. That is dictated by the play and coverage. QB lines up, calls the play, then starts making the pre-snap reads. Again, a lot of the plays you evidently think he is open (ie the DB is not that close) is either the 2nd level coverage passing him off to the 3rd level, or the 2nd level guy taking lanes away, so that while they look open, they really aren't.

I agree that Allen was used to much on option and crossing routes, but my impression was that it was because Guyton was not very good at it. That is an area that either Ekeler coming out of the slot, or a TE could really help at. Either that, or if Palmer develops. But you have to attack the middle of the field, or the posts on odd 3rd level coverages, or the fades, fly's and flag's on even deep coverages aren't going to be there.

If Palmer continues to develop and is indeed geting bigger and more physical, then he may be an option to attack the middle of the field. But you really need plenty of different options or the D knows what is coming, and it is a lot harder to beat when that happens.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Pat_Swindle View Post

Cabo San Lucas?
                    It was a running joke at old Charger forums, whenever someone broke the rules they got a forum "vacation" to cabo

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

95% of the routes will never have the #4 WR as the primary target unless they are looking for a bomb or long post route because they see something about a CB Guyton is up against.

Ever heard of progressions? Keenan, MW and yes, Palmer would have to be hurt for Guyton to be a #1 look more often.

Please learn the game. There is a book, ....Football for Dummy's. Give it a look.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 07-29-2022, 05:23 AM.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

The 3rd WR thing is as much about depth as anything else. Williams and Allen are going to get WAY more chances than whoever is the 3rd WR, and that is even accounting for the fact that the TE group is missing a top notch receiver.

And as much as all the Palmer and Guyton fans can argue about their favorite, if Allen and/or Williams is out very long, the O will suffer.

In a pinch we can always put Ekeler in the slot, like we did a few years ago, but the WR group is as much about depth as anything else.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          The 3rd WR thing is as much about depth as anything else. Williams and Allen are going to get WAY more chances than whoever is the 3rd WR, and that is even accounting for the fact that the TE group is missing a top notch receiver.

And as much as all the Palmer and Guyton fans can argue about their favorite, if Allen and/or Williams is out very long, the O will suffer.

In a pinch we can always put Ekeler in the slot, like we did a few years ago, but the WR group is as much about depth as anything else.
                          Not sure I agree, I still believe Palmer is one injury away from an amazing breakout season.

Comment

Working...
                          X