Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Yup! Looks like a receiver who gets open at the last second and snags the ball away for a completion. Definite skillset for the NFL!
    He’ll love turning around and seeing the ball coming his way.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Current roster has 10 WR, keep 5-6.
      6 TE, keep 3-4
      6 RB/FB, keep 3-4.
      If everybody's healthy, there'll be serious competition for roster slots as it is. I'll be interested to see what Lombardi and his staff staff makes of our skill group in training camp & preseason.

Comment

• DragonIce
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Mar 2021
        • Arizona
        • Send PM

As a fan coming from Cowboys this JP kid reminds me of Michael Gallup. Gallup bit more athletic; JP bit better hands.

Gallup wouldn't often separate, but he's the kind of receiver where it didn't matter. He had strong body and hands and would win in the air, positioning, muscling, contorting as necessary.

Expect lots of back shoulder fades, sideline block outs, red zone work.

Comment

• madcaplaughs
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
          Everybody focuses on the play where he beat Surtain deep. The other play I love that game is when he ran a button hook and absolutely turned Surtain nside out. He really sells his fakes.
          Palmer's really sudden with his footwork and sells with his shoulders really well. In one of his interviews, he mentioned that he really like Davante Adams. I see some similarity there. There was a senior bowl practice rep where a corner actually fell down without contact after Palmer made an out cut. He's also really good at pushing off : )

People talk about lack of speed. Yeah, he's not Waddle, or Smith, but on the other hand, they are not Palmer either. I think he ran a 4.51 at his pro day. That's not ultra speed, but not slow either.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post

Palmer's really sudden with his footwork and sells with his shoulders really well. In one of his interviews, he mentioned that he really like Davante Adams. I see some similarity there. There was a senior bowl practice rep where a corner actually fell down without contact after Palmer made an out cut. He's also really good at pushing off : )

People talk about lack of speed. Yeah, he's not Waddle, or Smith, but on the other hand, they are not Palmer either. I think he ran a 4.51 at his pro day. That's not ultra speed, but not slow either.
            Fast for sure. I do think both might still make weight for “mighty mite” weigh-ins on Saturday.
            Palmer will be playing for years past those little dudes injury plagued careers.
            Josh is faster than Hopkins or M. Thomas. He’ll be just fine.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• Panamamike
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Fast for sure. I do think both might still make weight for “mighty mite” weigh-ins on Saturday.
              Palmer will be playing for years past those little dudes injury plagued careers.
              Josh is faster than Hopkins or M. Thomas. He’ll be just fine.
              And R Moore, Atwell.... There were a lot of really small but fast receivers in this draft.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplaughs View Post

According to Bill Walsh, Jerry Rice ran a 4.59 40 in 1985. There is a some controversy about what Rice's actual 40 time was. It ranges from 4.45 to 4.71 on the internet. If you Google it you will get the 4.71 time. Some players are just really good at running the 40 yard dash. Some not so much. But game speed is often different than running the 40.

Comment

• Originally posted by DragonIce View Post
                  As a fan coming from Cowboys this JP kid reminds me of Michael Gallup. Gallup bit more athletic; JP bit better hands.

Gallup wouldn't often separate, but he's the kind of receiver where it didn't matter. He had strong body and hands and would win in the air, positioning, muscling, contorting as necessary.

Expect lots of back shoulder fades, sideline block outs, red zone work.
                  The reason why the lack of speed/separation matters is that without deep speed on the field, defenses can squat on us (move their defenders closer to the line of scrimmage with impunity). This happened in 2019 when our speed receiver (Tyrell Williams) left for Oakland and we did not have Guyton and Johnson playing for us like we did last year. We need players getting reps that can stretch the field. Taking reps from Guyton and Johnson is not a good thing. Having a backup for Williams is fine. But I do not care for Allen, Williams and Palmer on the field at the same time in a 3 WR set.
                  Last edited by Guest; 05-02-2021, 08:18 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Velo View Post

According to Bill Walsh, Jerry Rice ran a 4.59 40 in 1985. There is a some controversy about what Rice's actual 40 time was. It ranges from 4.45 to 4.71 on the internet. If you Google it you will get the 4.71 time. Some players are just really good at running the 40 yard dash. Some not so much. But game speed is often different than running the 40.
                    Do you think Palmer is a good fit with Allen and Williams? That would be the slow, slower, slowest WR group. I would much rather give the defense something to think about with Guyton or Johnson on the field with Allen and Williams. To me, one guy that can stretch the field is helpful. That is why I thought Tyrell Williams was such a good fit for us.

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                      ~ Charger Fan ~
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Jupiter, FL
                      • Send PM

The one thing that stands out to me is his suddenness when making a cut. His ability to stop on a dime is impressive! Throw in his catch rate and he has a spot on this team.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Great White North
                        • Draftnik
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The reason why the lack of speed/separation matters is that without deep speed on the field, defenses can squat on us (move their defenders closer to the line of scrimmage with impunity). This happened in 2019 when our speed receiver (Tyrell Williams) left for Oakland and we did not have Guyton and Johnson playing for us like we did last year. We need players getting reps that can stretch the field. taking reps from Guyton and Johnson is not a good thing. Having a backup for Williams is fine. But I do not care for Allen, Williams and Palmer on the field at the same time in a 3 WR set.
                        You better not watch many games this season. You’ll get depressed seeing those 3 on the field together often.

MikeDub
                        K9
                        Nasir
                        Tillery
                        Parham
                        Reed

Comment

• like54ninjas
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Great White North
                          • Draftnik
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by JupiterBolt View Post
                          The one thing that stands out to me is his suddenness when making a cut. His ability to stop on a dime is impressive! Throw in his catch rate and he has a spot on this team.
                          His release skills, hands, blocking, contact balance, and route stems/tree are already NFL ready.
                          He will be a productive player for us.

MikeDub
                          K9
                          Nasir
                          Tillery
                          Parham
                          Reed

Comment

Working...
                          X