Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

I am not sure what you are seeing when you state that Palmer "gets pretty good separation". He is the worst of our top 5 WRs at gaining separation. Unless the defense is playing way off of Palmer and Palmer runs a quick, short route, he is routinely covered. To Palmer's credit, I think he does a good job of using his body, but the defenders seem to be right on him, which is my concern.
    Well, let's take a close look at how much separation Palmer gets:

Not bad here:
    palmer 1.JPG

Not too shabby here:
    palmer 2.JPG

And pretty decent here:
    palmer 3.JPG

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
      San Diego Native
      • Feb 2019
      • Farmington, NM
      • Send PM

Originally posted by equivocation View Post
      the only winning move is not to play
      Joshua: How about a nice game of chess?

Comment

• Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

its nonsense to say his hands are the same as Guytons when the latter has dropped a lot of passes, and the former has dropped one.
        No, it isn't. It is not as if Palmer has been targeted anywhere near as many times as Guyton and Guyton has not dropped "a lot" of passes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, let's take a close look at how much separation Palmer gets:

Not bad here:
          palmer 1.JPG

Not too shabby here:
          palmer 2.JPG

And pretty decent here:
          palmer 3.JPG
          The bottom photo is a reception by Jason Moore, not Palmer, based upon a cross referencing of the ESPN play by play description with the time shown in the photograph, which also lines up with my independent recollection of the play in question (an 18 yard gain).

The top two are literally examples of Palmer running a few yards and turning around against soft coverage. That is not gaining separation. That is Palmer always having separation against deep reserves for the Rams who are not covering him tightly.

Comment

• DragonIce
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Mar 2021
            • Arizona
            • Send PM

I'll throw ChainRuster a bone. In this minor instance he's more right than wrong.

Topcat's screen grabs from the Rams p-game are welcome, but fail to prove much about receiver separation. Receiver separation is best judged downfield w/man-to-man coverage. You really can't reliably judge separation skill w/ zone defenses, which is what we mostly saw in that game.
            Last edited by DragonIce; 08-31-2021, 03:18 AM.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DragonIce View Post
              I'll throw ChainRuster a bone. In this minor instance he's more right than wrong.

Topcat's screen grabs from the Rams p-game are welcome, but fail to prove much about receiver separation. Receiver separation is best judged downfield w/man-to-man coverage. You really can't reliably judge separation skill w/ zone defenses, which is what we mostly saw in that game.
              I think its fair to say we don’t know either way from the limited PS plays. Chain is no more right than any Palmer-booster - his guesses are just negative.

The PS facts are, according to this data below:
              Palmer was targeted 13 times, caught 10 receptions, and dropped one ball
              Guyton was targeted 6 times, caught 3 passes, and dropped one ball

thats a drop rate 2x of Palmer by crude uninformed math. But Guyton has a history. Guyton dropped enough passes last year it was one of the dominant discussion points about him all off-season. It drove most of the pro-TJ discussion. Its absurd to pretend now that it didn’t occur and nobody discussed it or was aware of it.

ironically, this site doesn’t assign a drop to either player this PS. No idea why, i saw both drops with my two eyes, and clearly Guyton’s drop was a much easier pass to catch

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

The top two are literally examples of Palmer running a few yards and turning around against soft coverage. That is not gaining separation. That is Palmer always having separation against deep reserves for the Rams who are not covering him tightly.
                Well, Crusher, I guess we'll have to see how well Palmer does vs. press coverage then...

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                  SLAM DUNK!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • East County San Diego
                  • Bolt fanatic
                  • Send PM

Prediction:
                  65 catches 780 yards 6TDs

Overall very productive rookie year.
                  migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Johnson cut - Palmer getting more snaps!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      Johnson cut - Palmer getting more snaps!
                      i'm now pretty sure Staley is not Chaincrusher.

Comment

• Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

i'm now pretty sure Staley is not Chaincrusher.
                        That is for sure. Obviously, the cutting of Johnson and keeping of crappy K.J. Hill is awful. I would have cut Palmer before cutting Johnson.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

That is for sure. Obviously, the cutting of Johnson and keeping of crappy K.J. Hill is awful. I would have cut Palmer before cutting Johnson.
                          We don’t know what goes on behind closed doors but intelligence/attitude may have been the separator.

Comment

Working...
                          X