Welcome Josh Palmer, WR, Tennessee (Pick #77)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grinners
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Tol View Post
    Offensive rookie of the year with Herbert throwing him bombs. Back to back OROY's.

(I'm just hoping, no idea really)
    Could be the case if injury hits again.

Comment

• Panamamike
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Might need that $7 million he's making to bring in an FA or 2 to fill the voids not filled in the draft( Edge, Safety, OL, DL, LB)?
      1) the draft is not over. We don't have access to their board. They may see clusters of players to fill the gaps that they have left. They chose to take a very complete wide receiver and a tight end that has played in a pro system and has shown his blocking chops while demonstrating the ability to catch. As both the GM and coach said those are not skills that are easy to find these days coming out of college. It was a skill set that Staley values very highly.

2) the coaching staff may not see the voids and how to fill them the same as you do.

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

1) the draft is not over. We don't have access to their board. They may see clusters of players to fill the gaps that they have left. They chose to take a very complete wide receiver and a tight end that has played in a pro system and has shown his blocking chops while demonstrating the ability to catch. As both the GM and coach said those are not skills that are easy to find these days coming out of college. It was a skill set that Staley values very highly.

2) the coaching staff may not see the voids and how to fill them the same as you do.
        Yep...the fact that TT took TWO wideouts last year with Reed and Hill shows he and Bolt brass still want depth at WR...injuries a concern, Mike Will may be leaving, etc. Maybe they're not all that impressed with Reed and Hill...maybe they don't like Guyton's drops...Johnson was a nice surprise...so, with all this in mind, the Palmer pick makes sense...

Comment

• Panamamike
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...the fact that TT took TWO wideouts last year with Reed and Hill shows he and Bolt brass still want depth at WR...injuries a concern, Mike Will may be leaving, etc. Maybe they're not all that impressed with Reed and Hill...maybe they don't like Guyton's drops...Johnson was a nice surprise...so, with all this in mind, the Palmer pick makes sense...
          It's also a different offensive coaching team. What one system in staff valued may not be exactly what this one does.

Comment

• like54ninjas
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Oct 2017
            • Great White North
            • Draftnik
            • Send PM

Might need that $7 million he's making to bring in an FA or 2 to fill the voids not filled in the draft( Edge, Safety, OL, DL, LB)?
            $16ish million. We are not tradin MikeDub. Get over it people.
            My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
            K9
            Nasir
            Tillery
            Parham
            Reed

Comment

• kgbpasha
              #болтап
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

The more I look into this dude, the more I find to like.
              I'm not sure who coached him up on his route running
              but it's pretty damn polished.
              I'm liking this pick after first questioning it.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
                Fluent in Sarcasm
                • Jun 2013
                • Iowa
                • Man of the People
                • Send PM

I feel like maybe all the years of Rivers making it work with UDFA WR has made us all forget it’s ok to draft the position too. Guyton flashed early in the season but his hands really became an issue later on, Johnson started coming on at the end of the season but still has plenty of developing to do. Hill is a 7th rounder that barely saw the field, and when he did he had problem creating separation. MW is on the last year of his deal obviously and is the only real physical WR on the roster. Palmer’s tape gives me shades of Keenan in the short to intermediate game and shades of MW in the deep game. His body adjustment and ability to track the (often poorly thrown) deep ball are MWesque he just also finds a way to not land awkwardly. Herbert will make him look a lot better, but I think picking the brain of the vets in front of him will really compliment his total game.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2017
                  • Great White North
                  • Draftnik
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bearded14YourPleasure View Post
                  I feel like maybe all the years of Rivers making it work with UDFA WR has made us all forget it’s ok to draft the position too. Guyton flashed early in the season but his hands really became an issue later on, Johnson started coming on at the end of the season but still has plenty of developing to do. Hill is a 7th rounder that barely saw the field, and when he did he had problem creating separation. MW is on the last year of his deal obviously and is the only real physical WR on the roster. Palmer’s tape gives me shades of Keenan in the short to intermediate game and shades of MW in the deep game. His body adjustment and ability to track the (often poorly thrown) deep ball are MWesque he just also finds a way to not land awkwardly. Herbert will make him look a lot better, but I think picking the brain of the vets in front of him will really compliment his total game.
                  Good stuff and analysis of Josh, our current WR roster, and thinking a year ahead.
                  My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                  K9
                  Nasir
                  Tillery
                  Parham
                  Reed

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

Mike Williams makes 15.7m this year
                    its all guaranteed -
                    if they wanted to trade Williams or not paid him - they would have
                    Now maybe they can extend his deal - cut that cap number to have cap space

Chargers have plenty of cap space though -veterans cost a nominal amount if on the veteran minimum and they still can sign a few guys for $2-3m if even that much is warranted

As for the picks of WR And TE - - I just didn't see the need for WR
                    I was all about OL, Front 7 and DBs
                    but hey - give them both a chance. TE makes sense as he has a year to grow
                    Plus with Williams as a potential FA, Guyton and Johnson - there is probably a need next year for WR - I guess it makes more sense

Comment

• Panamamike
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Mike Williams makes 15.7m this year
                      its all guaranteed -
                      if they wanted to trade Williams or not paid him - they would have
                      Now maybe they can extend his deal - cut that cap number to have cap space

Chargers have plenty of cap space though -veterans cost a nominal amount if on the veteran minimum and they still can sign a few guys for $2-3m if even that much is warranted

As for the picks of WR And TE - - I just didn't see the need for WR
                      I was all about OL, Front 7 and DBs
                      but hey - give them both a chance. TE makes sense as he has a year to grow
                      Plus with Williams as a potential FA, Guyton and Johnson - there is probably a need next year for WR - I guess it makes more sense
                      There are still clusters of quality players at those positions on the board day 3. In all likelihood they had those clusters rated very closely to what was available when we picked.

Comment

• Panamamike
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

According to Staley in the presser he Joe Lombardi and the scouts seem to be pretty heavily involved in who they decided to pick. So we either trust our coach to assemble the skill sets that he wants on the field or we don't.

Comment

• Xenos
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post
                          According to Staley in the presser he Joe Lombardi and the scouts seem to be pretty heavily involved in who they decided to pick. So we either trust our coach to assemble the skill sets that he wants on the field or we don't.
                          It is what it is as they say.

Comment

Working...
                          X