• Show
Clear All
  • CanadianBoltFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2022
    • White Rock, BC Canada
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

My point was, he did the exact same thing in the same situation in week 4 against Houston and you didn't hear a peep about it. So people should either be screaming in outrage over it both when it works and when it doesn't work or they should pipe down.
    I dont think every situation is identical, far from it.

There are times it might make some sense to go for it and times when it doesnt. On your own 46, up 2 points where a field goal wins the game for the other team woiuld be a time when it doesnt.

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Keenan scolded his coach publicly in real-time for going for it on 4th down versus kicking it.

Keenan is obviously too valuable to the team to suffer any consequences, but Eisen raised the issue as a sign of our time that wasn’t something NFL coaches ever had to deal with before social media evolved and these “employees” question management very publicly in real-time.

As much as I like Keenan, that was ridiculous for him to post even though I shared Keenan’s exact same “WTF”.

imagine you’re the CEO of any company with a high profile. Mark Zuckerberg announces a new name for Facebook and new technology direction. During the telecast of Zuckerberg’s presentation, one of his highest profile executives starts posting on Twitter….”WTF?”

I don’t know how young some of you are here… Maybe you grew up with social media and the “me” culture and think this is fine.

I’m from another generation and find it destructive.

P.S. I bet that would never happen with Belichik
      Don't shoot the messenger. Shoot who is allowing this shit show (TT / Spanos). This team will not achieve what was expected because of the lack of coaching / leadership. As the saw would say, you can disagree with me, but you would be wrong.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

I dont think every situation is identical, far from it.

There are times it might make some sense to go for it and times when it doesnt. On your own 46, up 2 points where a field goal wins the game for the other team woiuld be a time when it doesnt.
        So when you are up 3 late in the 4th at your own 45 it is ok, but when up by 2 at the 46 it's not?

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Brissett was put in an identical situation in week 1 vs Carolina. Carolina punted the ball to Cleveland with under a minute left and Cleveland was down 1 or 2 points. Cleveland got a roughing the passer penalty, 1 completion, and won the football game on a Cade York 58 yd field goal. 1:15 is an ETERNITY when you only need to go 40 yards or so to get in Field goal range, and that kicker is capable of hitting from 60+.

Comment

• Critty
            Dominate the Day.
            • Mar 2019
            • Send PM

"Leave the game in our hands," Allen said. "I don't want us to kick the ball, watch it and hope. I'd rather stay out there and let us do it."
            The NFL analytics data says the Chargers were right to go for it, even though it didn't work out, Eric D. Williams writes.

Based on last year's comment, Keenan is just tripping because he was watching. He is 100% go like the decision bot if he is on the field.

Who has it better than us?

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

So when you are up 3 late in the 4th at your own 45 it is ok, but when up by 2 at the 46 it's not?
              I cant fully remember but did we have a 2 point lead with 1:30 left in the Houston game?

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                "Leave the game in our hands," Allen said. "I don't want us to kick the ball, watch it and hope. I'd rather stay out there and let us do it."
                The NFL analytics data says the Chargers were right to go for it, even though it didn't work out, Eric D. Williams writes.

Based on last year's comment, Keenan is just tripping because he was watching. He is 100% go like the decision bot if he is on the field.

I think this is true if Keenan is playing and Herbert is healthy. Our odds would have gone way up on converting the 4th down.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Was the vibe bad in the locker room last week when the team went for a 4th and 1 at their own 45 yard line late in the 4th quarter last week against Houston? You'll be second guessed if you lose. We didn't even hear about it against Houston because it worked. The media pundits lazy reporting says that Staley's decision making cost them 2 games last year and a chance at the playoffs, ignoring the 3 games he won by going for it late. People and players can't have it both ways.
                  The two situations are not remotely close to being the same. In the HOU game, we were up 3 (not 2) and there was 5:23 left on the clock, not 1:14.

Against HOU, if we punt, the Texans have a chance to use the entire game clock on a game winning TD drive that spans the entire length of the field. If we go for it and fail, then HOU gets the ball with about 5:15 left on the clock with us having two timeouts and the two-minute warning. Their chances for a FG are increased, but that only gives them a tie and we would likely have plenty of time left on the clock to win the game. Time was essentially not even an issue at that point.

Against CLE, by contrast, a punt would likely have had CLE pinned back somewhere around the 10-yard line with barely over one minute on the clock and no timeouts. They would have needed 54 yards to get to where they attempted their FG from yesterday. Brissett and the run heavy Browns are unlikely to be able to do that. If tackled in bounds on every play, they would only have had time for 3-4 plays. So, ideally, we would give them 5-yard passes over the middle and then tackle the receiver in bounds.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

Keenan scolded his coach publicly in real-time for going for it on 4th down versus kicking it.

Keenan is obviously too valuable to the team to suffer any consequences, but Eisen raised the issue as a sign of our time that wasn’t something NFL coaches ever had to deal with before social media evolved and these “employees” question management very publicly in real-time.

As much as I like Keenan, that was ridiculous for him to post even though I shared Keenan’s exact same “WTF”.

imagine you’re the CEO of any company with a high profile. Mark Zuckerberg announces a new name for Facebook and new technology direction. During the telecast of Zuckerberg’s presentation, one of his highest profile executives starts posting on Twitter….”WTF?”

I don’t know how young some of you are here… Maybe you grew up with social media and the “me” culture and think this is fine.

I’m from another generation and find it destructive.

P.S. I bet that would never happen with Belichik
                    I actually think social media is a problem with our nation. Heck probably the world.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

Something i noticed in film study:

The dive before the failed 4th down, Browns drive was 12 plays 6:45mins. Thats a long exhausting drive for our def to recover from. Gilman snagged the INT but knowing this I like the 4th down call better today. So i back Staley in this call, our def was gassed and he knew it. Trying to win it there on the road was ballsy and i want more.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                        Brissett was put in an identical situation in week 1 vs Carolina. Carolina punted the ball to Cleveland with under a minute left and Cleveland was down 1 or 2 points. Cleveland got a roughing the passer penalty, 1 completion, and won the football game on a Cade York 58 yd field goal. 1:15 is an ETERNITY when you only need to go 40 yards or so to get in Field goal range, and that kicker is capable of hitting from 60+.
                        no timeouts left? pinned back inside their 20?

getting chunk yardage on a roughing the passer call isn't demonstrating
                        Brissett is capable of leading teams on quick marches.

The threat of running the football was no longer an option.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                          Something i noticed in film study:

The dive before the failed 4th down, Browns drive was 12 plays 6:45mins. Thats a long exhausting drive for our def to recover from. Gilman snagged the INT but knowing this I like the 4th down call better today. So i back Staley in this call, our def was gassed and he knew it. Trying to win it there on the road was ballsy and i want more.
                          The D didn't look gassed to me on cleveland's final possession. Nor would they have to worry about cleveland running the football.

Comment

Working...
                          X