• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I never thought of Al Davis as wacky. He was sly like fox. He found many ways to cheat, coached his players to play dirty and would do pretty much anything to win. A big difference between Al and Mark that Al's raiders were winners, so far that's not true of Mark. Al Davis was hated by just about everyone that wasn't a raider or a fan of theirs.
    Al’s raiders were winners until he went wacky, then they weren’t. They still aren’t. Fuck the Raiders.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I never thought of Al Davis as wacky. He was sly like fox. He found many ways to cheat, coached his players to play dirty and would do pretty much anything to win. A big difference between Al and Mark that Al's raiders were winners, so far that's not true of Mark. Al Davis was hated by just about everyone that wasn't a raider or a fan of theirs.
      Just Win Baby!

...and they did. A lot.
      I didn't like him either for the obvious reason.
      Go Bolts!

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Ted Nguyen answers a user’s question and he mentions Staley:

Can a 3-3-5 defense be used in the NFL as a base formation? — Jonathan D.

I believe you are talking about “Tite” fronts that Iowa State brought to prominence in the Big 12. I’m not as well-versed in that type of defense as I want to be, but it’s definitely going to be an offseason project of mine.

From my understanding, those defenses are predicated on presenting a light box while having your second- and third-level defenders spread out to cover the space that the spread offenses threaten. There are specific run fit rules and techniques that the box players use to try to “spill” the run outside so the defense can converge.

Brandon Staley used these principles last season in his defense, which was top in the league in many metrics. Of course, it helps to have a beast like Aaron Donald wreck havoc inside with those light boxes.

I’m not sure if the “Tite” front can be a base defense (I believe you mean most frequently called front for a defense when you say base) in the NFL because there are some very physical run games that you have to defend. I believe we’ll see more of it situationally.

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
          Ted Nguyen answers a user’s question and he mentions Staley:
          https://theathletic.com/2658534/2021...uyens-mailbag/
          Too bad the diagram he put up is not a Tite front. The DE are aligned outside the OT. For it to be a Tite front, they would have to be align INSIDE the OT.

The idea of the Tite front, is to get away with a nickel personnel, but keep the bigger players in position to take on the offenses biggest players. Then the secondary guys playing off the ball have the chance to chase the runner down, since the runner has to bounce it outside (if the DL/LB is clogging the inside gaps).

As far as a base front, I don't know what that means. Usually when you talk about "base" it is in terms of base personnel. And base personnel for the NFL has been nickel (425) since the 1980's. SO, Nguyen reference to NFL being able to just run you to death is simply wrong. Teams who play lighter personnel just have to get run support out of their secondary, and that means having players rotating up to play the run, and they have been doing that since the 1970's. BEsides that, most NFL TE and FB are not really very good blockers if they have to block in space, so just play the small guys outside and have them crash down.

Even the Rams last year, ran mostly 4 man fronts. But if the guy is asking about a single front, then the Rams probably ran the Tite front as much as any front their ran all year. There are just a lot of variations in fronts. And NFL teams aren't going to want to make it too easy on the other teams blocks by letting them guess what the blocking is going to be play after play by using any one of them too much.

Iowa State didn't bring the TIte front to prominence. They really got into the 335, and they love the idea of bringing their run support from their secondary. THey inspired a lot of teams who do use the Tite formation, but most of what ISU does is playing with the extra S in coverage and run support.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Al’s raiders were winners until he went wacky, then they weren’t. They still aren’t. Fuck the Raiders.
            Yep...that about sums it up...Raiders had some nice strings of winning seasons, especially the Lamonica and Stabler years with an honorable mention to Gannon...hasn't been the same since...by the way, Raider trivia time...did you know that the Raiders were originally called the Oakland Senors? But they quickly changed their name to the Raiders after becoming the butt of jokes around the league. Look:

senors.JPG
            http://skiptomylank.blogspot.com/200...ll-time-5.html

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Raiders had some nice strings of winning seasons, especially the Lamonica and Stabler years with an honorable mention to Gannon...hasn't been the same since...by the way, Raider trivia time...did you know that the Raiders were originally called the Oakland Senors? But they quickly changed their name to the Raiders after becoming the butt of jokes around the league.
              The Raiders can be called the Faiders. Because of their fading.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2017
                • Great White North
                • Draftnik
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The Raiders can be called the Faiders. Because of their fading.
                Ratturds = LV

Faded = Me
                My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                K9
                Nasir
                Tillery
                Parham
                Reed

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Watching the mic'd up and reading all the articles and watching all the pressers, I do really like Staley. I just hope he is not Mike Riley. Can he be tough and critical when he needs to be? Can he make hard decisions? In LA. the bombastic McVay did the really tough stuff. And there is a lot of tough stuff to do when you are in the chair

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• like54ninjas
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Great White North
                    • Draftnik
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    Watching the mic'd up and reading all the articles and watching all the pressers, I do really like Staley. I just hope he is not Mike Riley. Can he be tough and critical when he needs to be? Can he make hard decisions? In LA. the bombastic McVay did the really tough stuff. And there is a lot of tough stuff to do when you are in the chair

TG
                    Don’t let Coach Staley’s upbeat positive demeanor mislead you, he is an assassin when he’ll need to be.
                    My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
                    K9
                    Nasir
                    Tillery
                    Parham
                    Reed

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

Don’t let Coach Staley’s upbeat positive demeanor mislead you, he is an assassin when he’ll need to be.
                      My impression of Staley is that there is winning now and setting up future wins. He'll be polite & sociable as possible given that family & team come 1st.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by like54ninjas View Post

I get the sense he’s not going to fuck around with bullshit, like Lynn did - agree. Dude has a clear vision and is on a mission, he knows what he was born to do and it ain’t being mr buddy.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• FoutsFan
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Birmingham AL
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I get the sense he’s not going to fuck around with bullshit, like Lynn did - agree. Dude has a clear vision and is on a mission, he knows what he was born to do and it ain’t being mr buddy.
                          I get the same feeling, no more taking your foot off the gas on offense or laying back for death by a thousand cuts on defense.

Comment

Working...
                          X