• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jubei
    Vagabond Ninja
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

He replaced Murray with Joseph our DT. It was a personnel meant to stop the run. We still gave up 10 yards.
    https://theathletic.com/3061189/2022...major-letdown/
    I stand corrected. I thought the DLine was still there but they replaced LB with a DB.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

We also won a lot of games because of his coaching. His 4th down decisions allowed us to beat the Chiefs, Raiders, Browns, Bengals, and Eagles. The issue is the defense, which he needs to find ways to make better. But he needs to continue being aggressive and trusting the analytics.
      I'm OK to go for it on 4th and short but not deep in your end of the field. It was the 18 yard line! The Raiders dont even need to advance the ball and they're almost assured at least 3 points with their kicker. but maybe he thought his D (the D of a supposed D genius) was crap so wanted his O to try and handle business. playcall on that was HORRENDOUS, especially since they got stuffed on the previous play already.

Comment

• Xenos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I stand corrected. I thought the DLine was still there but they replaced LB with a DB.
        I think the TO was the right move to not only switch personnel but also give the defense a quick breather. We just didn’t execute when it mattered which is not only on the players but also on Staley. Lots to learn for next season which seems so far away. Definitely not as exciting as last year when we fired Lynn and seemed like we would finally be on the right track.

Comment

• Xenos
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I'm OK to go for it on 4th and short but not deep in your end of the field. It was the 18 yard line! The Raiders dont even need to advance the ball and they're almost assured at least 3 points with their kicker. but maybe he thought his D (the D of a supposed D genius) was crap so wanted his O to try and handle business. playcall on that was HORRENDOUS, especially since they got stuffed on the previous play already.
          Analytics doesn’t take into account playcalling. It should have been in Herbert’s hands instead of Ekeler. I wouldn’t have made that decision to go for it but there’s sound reasoning based on who you have in your offense. And maybe that’s the point. We’re better offensively than we are defensively right now.

Comment

• foreigner
            Tom Telesco is gone
            • Sep 2013
            • Send PM

Analytics doesn’t take into account playcalling. It should have been in Herbert’s hands instead of Ekeler. I wouldn’t have made that decision to go for it but there’s sound reasoning based on who you have in your offense. And maybe that’s the point. We’re better offensively than we are defensively right now.

That's one thing that I dont understand.. the kid is made of steel, why not use him for the sneaks or 4th down one yarders.... the guy is about 50 feet tall, all he need is to fell forward.

Comment

• Xenos
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

That's one thing that I dont understand.. the kid is made of steel, why not use him for the sneaks or 4th down one yarders.... the guy is about 50 feet tall, all he need is to fell forward.
              Sneaks like anything work best based on defensive personnel. I want more sneaks as well though. The caveat is that it does open your QB to injuries more.

Comment

• jubei
                Vagabond Ninja
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

agreed. but I still wouldnt go for it deep in your own territory. but that's just me.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I'm ok rolling the dice with Staley and some of his zany decisions.

Like I've said before, the "conventional" way hasn't filled our trophy case. Nothing to lose.

If he fizzles out, so what? Just add him to the long list of other failed Chargers' head coaches. I don't care. Maybe this is what it takes for the football gods to send some good kharma our way.

Either way you're talking about a franchise and a fanbase that is desperate to become relevant.
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• CivilBolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by foreigner View Post

I don’t think he would have made it. The Raiders Dline collapsed the line pretty quick.

Comment

• Xenos
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                      I'm ok rolling the dice with Staley and some of his zany decisions.

Like I've said before, the "conventional" way hasn't filled our trophy case. Nothing to lose.

If he fizzles out, so what? Just add him to the long list of other failed Chargers' head coaches. I don't care. Maybe this is what it takes for the football gods to send some good kharma our way.

Either way you're talking about a franchise and a fanbase that is desperate to become relevant.
                      I feel better about Staley in some ways than some of our previous HCs because he’s more analytical and aggressive. We also seem to be doing okay offensively despite everyone wanting to hang Lombardi.

But we need to fix the defense somehow. That’s the most important piece this offseason similar to how we upgraded the OL last year.

Offensively, we should probably fix the right side of the OL also and get a more reliable RB2. It would also be nice if we had less drops next season from our pass catchers.

Comment

• Boltx
                        Dominate the day
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I feel better about Staley in some ways than some of our previous HCs because he’s more analytical and aggressive. We also seem to be doing okay offensively despite everyone wanting to hang Lombardi.

But we need to fix the defense somehow. That’s the most important piece this offseason similar to how we upgraded the OL last year.

Offensively, we should probably fix the right side of the OL also and get a more reliable RB2. It would also be nice if we had less drops next season from our pass catchers.
                        Yeah despite my doom and gloom last night, you do have to wonder where this team would be with a healthy Aboushi/Bulaga and even an AVERAGE defense.

Help me out here - Bulaga reminds me of another ex-Packers OL we signed in the late 90s that was supposed to help solidify the line but never panned out...blanking on the name...
                        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• foreigner
                          Tom Telesco is gone
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Bulaga is done, we need to acquire RT talent via FA or draft like Slater. And we also need to release Tillery and Murray... fix those 3 and we are in a much better shape.. just improve those 3 positions.

Comment

Working...
                          X