• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

This is nothing unique to the Chargers. The Rams hired McVay 7 years ago and he is still the youngest HC in the league. There are 9 HC in the league that are 40 or younger.
    History shows for the Chargers - and this is just the Chargers and data - better to hire a person who has been a head coach: Coryell, Ross, Marty and even Norval Eugene (whats going on Martha!)

Other teams have been organizations, front offices - a rookie HC cannot overcome the dreaded curse of the Spanii !

Comment

• AFboltfan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2018
      • Balboa Park bench
      • Medical Simulation
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Get used to it.
      Guys over 40 are somewhat set in their ways and the Spanos want a head coach that they can train.

I pushed forward Ben Johnson as the next Charger head coach weeks ago.
      That's disgusting...

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Get used to it.
        Guys over 40 are somewhat set in their ways and the Spanos want a head coach that they can train.

I pushed forward Ben Johnson as the next Charger head coach weeks ago.
        Lol. They are incapable of training anything. I bet their dogs shit wherever they want.

it’s not about training it’s about inexpensive contracts

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by johnnywyoming View Post
          OMG... If we had only fired Staley at the end of last season and hired the God-coach Sean Payton, well we could be 0 - 3 and have a game where 70 points were hung on us. I am so disappointed
          Oh, yeah, because Sean Payton would be 0-3 and coming off of a 70-20 blowout loss if he were head coach of the Chargers right now. I'm no fan of Payton, didn't want him as this team's head coach, but no team in the NFL would choose Staley over him right now.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I could care less about analytics, you have to look at the whole picture, no timeouts, under 2 minutes you punt the ball and make them drive for a TD...plus you have to be aware that their defense had stymied our rushing attack the whole game, from an analytics POV, herbert has a much better track record of picking those up than handing the ball off...
            So we should fire Moore.

Don’t analytics take that “whole picture” thing into the, you know, analysis? I don’t know the models - I assumed time remaining is a factor but welcome corrections as always
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• rensoul
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Arians had never been a head coach - well years earlier at Temple - but he had been an assistant coach a long time. Wait, he was head coach when Pagano was out. But he had been on many teams, many roles, so he saw a lot of good and bad.

So having the experiences BA had -- made him a very good head coach. Still not sure why Telesco - who was in the buikding with BA - didn't bang the drum. But he just got hired and the Wolf committee wanted Visor McCoy as he was the Hot OC. Mind you, he was OC for Peyton Manning - big whoop!

If the Chargerrs do fire Staley - they can't go the cheap young route again. See what Bieniemy does for the season. See what Dan Quinn does. Hell I would take Brian Schottenheimer over a lot of these other younger hot names. I want a coach who has faced adversity and even a guy like Evero with Charlotte - two years as a DC - needs more time
              BA doesn't seem like a yes man, probably too strong of a personality for TT and ownership would be my guess based on the types they have hired.

Comment

• rensoul
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

History shows for the Chargers - and this is just the Chargers and data - better to hire a person who has been a head coach: Coryell, Ross, Marty and even Norval Eugene (whats going on Martha!)

Other teams have been organizations, front offices - a rookie HC cannot overcome the dreaded curse of the Spanii !
                If they want to go for retreads I think Dan Quinn would be best. That SB loss in Atlanta is a long time ago now and he's shown growth as a coach in Dallas using personnel in really creative ways and creating a dominant defense.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

If they want to go for retreads I think Dan Quinn would be best. That SB loss in Atlanta is a long time ago now and he's shown growth as a coach in Dallas using personnel in really creative ways and creating a dominant defense.
                  He has Micah Parsons who is arguably the best defensive player in the league. We made that mistake hiring Staley whose rep was one year with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey both at their peak

Comment

• rensoul
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

He has Micah Parsons who is arguably the best defensive player in the league. We made that mistake hiring Staley whose rep was one year with Aaron Donald and Jalen Ramsey both at their peak
                    Ok, since that answer was from a different post regarding retreads as possible HC's. Who is your pick for a new retread coach?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

I don't see it that way at all. How has he grown as a head coaching candidate in Dallas? He's coaching in an environment that disappoints every year. He's working for an owner who has a reputation for meddling more than any other owner in the NFL. Jerry Jones just has deeper pockets than the Spanos family. What exactly is Quinn learning under Mike McCarthy?

Sure, Quinn knows how to run a great defense. He did that in Seattle. In that regard, he's better than Gus Bradley, another defensive coordinator under Pete Carroll, was with us. There's much more to being a head coach than running a defense, though. He may be a coach whose best place is as a coordinator.

I'd rather not take that risk after all the bullshit we've been through since Marty was fired.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2023
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

This is nothing unique to the Chargers. The Rams hired McVay 7 years ago and he is still the youngest HC in the league. There are 9 HC in the league that are 40 or younger.
                        Lynn and McCoy were actually older, upon hiring, than I remembered: they just seemed green, like Staley.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Lol. They are incapable of training anything. I bet their dogs shit wherever they want.

it’s not about training it’s about inexpensive contracts
                          Must be taking a crap on Dean's Gucci shoes right now.
                          ​​
                          Last edited by NOrvMeNow; 09-30-2023, 12:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X