• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Riverwalk
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
    Is Brandon Staley the head coach to get the Chargers & Justin Herbert over the hump??? I'm not so sure... beat the Cowboys & Chiefs and perhaps he is???
    2 more losses is more likely and the Staley excuse makers will just find new ways to shift responsibility.

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think Staley has this year to prove he is the guy. We are a luke-warm 2-2 so far. If we miss the playoffs or squeak in and get blown out, I think he is gone. If he wins a playoff game, he will be extended and head here will explode.
      These crazy 4th down calls deep in your own territory have profound psychological effects on players, let alone fans.

First and foremost it keeps telling the defense, which he coaches, he has absolutely no confidence in them.

Second, any players that believe these calls are wrong, are left with diminished confidence in Staley’s coaching in general.

He’s destroying his own veracity as an intelligent coach, and psychologically destroying the confidence of the defense (half the players)

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Aug 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
        Harbaugh talk is for 2024, I assume? He’s not going anywhere this year. I doubt he’s going anywhere in 2024 either but who knows. Stranger things have happened, maybe he’d want to go back to a diff CAL team to screw with the 49ers, idunno. LAR would be a much bigger more direct vengeance play if that motivated him
        Knowing how fickle people are, they'll just complain about whatever thing they find wrong with the new HC.

Harbaugh was with the Chargers organization for a time. That would be one of his considerations. And having Herbert would help him.​

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I think Staley has this year to prove he is the guy. We are a luke-warm 2-2 so far. If we miss the playoffs or squeak in and get blown out, I think he is gone. If he wins a playoff game, he will be extended and head here will explode.
        They didn't fire Lynn until after his 4th year. I don't know what makes people think the Spanos will just cut off Staley like that.

If he does get fired, fine. I just hope whoever the next HC is isn't another disappointment.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
          Is Brandon Staley the head coach to get the Chargers & Justin Herbert over the hump??? I'm not so sure... beat the Cowboys & Chiefs and perhaps he is???
          I just don't see it as much as it would thrill me to see that happen, it would completely 100% shock the fuck out of me if they beat those two teams, not the way this team is playing, our defense is absolute dog shit and our offense is learning yet another new scheme and it shows...
          "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Heatmiser
            BetterToday ThanYesterday
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Harbaugh.
            Just a little stroll down memory lane.....Harbaugh's last season in SF, the team started 7-4 and finished 1-4. He and the ownership/front office were constantly bickering. And Jim was not dedicated to his players enough to keep his personal situation from affecting the players and the team. Here is a news clip about it:

With the coach in question, the offense lost its rhythm. Ultimately, it's nearly impossible to run a successful organization, especially in the NFL, without stable and clear leadership. Scott Ostler at the SF Gate reported that when wedges were driven between York and Harbaugh it was often the coach who seized control. This surely didn't please the young York who "fights an ongoing battle to be taken seriously as the main man" of the 49ers.

From all accounts, Harbaugh is difficult to work with. He can be rude. He can be disrespectful. According to Ostler, "the embarrassment and resentment” York felt continued to "fester with every succeeding Harbaugh high jink, like when he pulled the team off the Levi’s field at a public practice, essentially mocking York’s dream stadium."

At the Levi Stadium’s ribbon cutting, Harbaugh showed up in his traditional khaki pants. Everyone else was in suits and ties. He also did not speak at the event, which many viewed as a sign of his relationship with the front office.

Has Harbaugh learned from this? Is he more mature now and ready to change his ways? Remember, he is an ego maniac and has been very successful everywhere he has coached doing things "his way". I think Harbaugh is radioactive to Charger ownership and maybe to a lot of the NFL ownership who are also ego centric and used to being large and in charge. And Herbert seems diametric to Harbaugh in terms of temperament, personality and personal philosophy. The head coach of our team HAS to be a great fit with Herbert, whether that coach has a winning resume or not.

In short, it ain't happening. Raiders? Yea. Chargers? NO.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Air Coryell
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2021
              • Carlsbad, CA
              • Teacher, Coach, CFO
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Just a little stroll down memory lane.....Harbaugh's last season in SF, the team started 7-4 and finished 1-4. He and the ownership/front office were constantly bickering. And Jim was not dedicated to his players enough to keep his personal situation from affecting the players and the team. Here is a news clip about it:

With the coach in question, the offense lost its rhythm. Ultimately, it's nearly impossible to run a successful organization, especially in the NFL, without stable and clear leadership. Scott Ostler at the SF Gate reported that when wedges were driven between York and Harbaugh it was often the coach who seized control. This surely didn't please the young York who "fights an ongoing battle to be taken seriously as the main man" of the 49ers.

From all accounts, Harbaugh is difficult to work with. He can be rude. He can be disrespectful. According to Ostler, "the embarrassment and resentment” York felt continued to "fester with every succeeding Harbaugh high jink, like when he pulled the team off the Levi’s field at a public practice, essentially mocking York’s dream stadium."

At the Levi Stadium’s ribbon cutting, Harbaugh showed up in his traditional khaki pants. Everyone else was in suits and ties. He also did not speak at the event, which many viewed as a sign of his relationship with the front office.

Has Harbaugh learned from this? Is he more mature now and ready to change his ways? Remember, he is an ego maniac and has been very successful everywhere he has coached doing things "his way". I think Harbaugh is radioactive to Charger ownership and maybe to a lot of the NFL ownership who are also ego centric and used to being large and in charge. And Herbert seems diametric to Harbaugh in terms of temperament, personality and personal philosophy. The head coach of our team HAS to be a great fit with Herbert, whether that coach has a winning resume or not.

TG
              Jim know more about winning football than anyone at Chargers Park by a mile. Would be a great hire with a chance to win a championship.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

TG
                Agreed . . . . . . . . . . . . Harbaugh's going to want mega bucks and power, and he's NOT going to toe ownership's lines. He's the exact opposite of what the Spanos want in a head coach. Same reasons why we didn't hire Sean Payton . . . . . . . . . . I don't see ownership's attitude on this changing any time soon . . . . . . . . . . I feel for Justin . . . . . . .

Comment

• charger1_sj
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2022
                  • Send PM

TG
                  It will not happen. But if it did we'd have 3 or 4 years with a chance to make it to the SB. After that the Spanos would fire him. Look at what happened to Bobby Ross, Marty.
                  Head strong coaches and the Spanos are not a good fit.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                    FUdean
                    • Dec 2022
                    • Send PM

Any Michigan residents here? If so, maybe you can cooborate my .02

This talk of Harbaugh is pure fantasy. He's making 8 mil and ranked as high as Jesus. I'd be shocked he has ever even considered having a conversation with the FUdeans.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post
                      Any Michigan residents here? If so, maybe you can cooborate my .02

This talk of Harbaugh is pure fantasy. He's making 8 mil and ranked as high as Jesus. I'd be shocked he has ever even considered having a conversation with the FUdeans.
                      THIS

Why would Harbaugh be interested in leaving Michigan - where he is Godlike? The only thing this discussion will generate is more leverage for him when he wants to renegotiate his contract . . . . . . . . . . . me personally - I'm not a huge Harbaugh fan, but he would be the best coach we've had since Marty (maybe even better). He would definitely come with a short shelf life though .

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

THIS

Why would Harbaugh be interested in leaving Michigan - where he is Godlike? The only thing this discussion will generate is more leverage for him when he wants to renegotiate his contract . . . . . . . . . . . me personally - I'm not a huge Harbaugh fan, but he would be the best coach we've had since Marty (maybe even better). He would definitely come with a short shelf life though .
                        Because he wants to win a Super Bowl, which he didn't as a player or during his short time as an NFL coach. Although he was a mediocre quarterback, Harbaugh is one of the fiercest competitors in sports. After coming so close to winning a Super Bowl, he has unfinished business in the NFL.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                          FUdean
                          • Dec 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Because he wants to win a Super Bowl, which he didn't as a player or during his short time as an NFL coach. Although he was a mediocre quarterback, Harbaugh is one of the fiercest competitors in sports. After coming so close to winning a Super Bowl, he has unfinished business in the NFL.
                          Again, then why would he want to associate himself with the FUdeans.

he does have some San Diego history but that’s all gone now.

Comment

Working...
                          X