• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
    I don't like any of them, but if I had to choose I would go with Anthony Lynn.

Norv could have been our Barry Switzer in 2007, meaning our team filled with elite talent could have won the Super Bowl in spite of the coaching, but Philip Rivers, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Antonio Gates were injured in that AFC Championship Game. There's no doubt in my mind we would have beaten the Patriots in that game if all three were healthy, and I really don't think we would have had a problem with the Giants in the Super Bowl. There was no reason to go 8-8 in 2008. The winning streak to close out the year and the playoff victory over the Colts are among the fondest memories I have of this team, but I don't credit that to the Norv. To me, it was all about the players, particularly Rivers playing at a level that should have resulted in him winning the MVP award that season (of course it went to Peyton, who didn't play nearly as well that season). The 2009 season was fun during the regular season, but the whole time I was worried we were going to blow it in the playoffs, and that's what happened. After that, I was worried the Norv effect would lead us to getting progressively worse, which is what happened in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Norv was gift-wrapped the best roster this team ever had, and he didn't do anything to make it better or prevent it from deteriorating into a losing team. A.J. Smith's weird picks (trading up for Jacob Hester and reaching for Jonas Mouton stand out to me) didn't help, but there were very few players who benefited in their development through Norv's coaching.

Mike McCoy had a very good 2013, and 2014 was going well at times, but it became clear that he wasn't head-coaching material in 2015, and then it was downright embarrassing in 2016. I remember watching his press conference after our blown lead against the Saints, which I think was the fifth team meltdown that year, and it looked like he was about to cry when he said something like, "I don't know why it's happening! I have no answers!" I was in disbelief, because that is NOT what you expect from the head coach, who's supposed to lead 53 grown men.

I was very happy with Lynn in 2017 and 2018. After the 0-4 start in 2017, we went 21-7 for the rest of that season and 2018. The 2018 playoff loss to the Patriots was devastating for me, because I knew it was probably Rivers' last best chance to win a Super Bowl, but I didn't blame Lynn for that. I thought the injuries piling up at the end of the year, with Denzel Perryman standing out the most, played the biggest factor in us losing to New England. I was in denial, and that continued throughout 2019. I became completely fed up with Lynn in 2020, with his reluctance to name Justin Herbert his starter. It seemed like he would have preferred to start Tyrod Taylor even when Herbert was playing so well. That alone made me question his intelligence, and then the succession of blown leads that followed didn't help. I was done with Lynn by the middle of the 2020 season.

I started to wonder about Staley when he played an injured Herbert late in a blowout loss to the Jaguars in Week 3 of last year. I don't know why any head coach would do something that stupid, even with a quarterback who's completely healthy when you're down 38-10 late in the fourth quarter. Then there was the ridiculous decision to go for it on fourth down late in the fourth quarter against the Browns. We all know what's happened since then. He hasn't learned from his mistakes. On top of that, his defense gets its ass kicked much more than I'd like, which shouldn't happen when the head coach was hired based off of his expertise in that area. We still have 13 games left this regular season, so hopefully he will prove us all wrong.

Ranking these four coaches is painful, since there are so many bad memories, and I really can't do it in good faith because Staley isn't finished yet. On top of that I really don't know who was worse between Norv and McCoy.To sum it up, I'm not happy with any of them, but Lynn's coaching performance in 2017 and 2018 was the best we had since Marty was fired.
    I still remember the time the Chargers were going for a FG at end of game to tie or take lead (don’t recall) and McCoy covered his eyes to not watch. That crystallized it for me.

I also need to see Staley improve through this season. He’s seemingly had a positive influence on roster moves, something the last 3 coaches didn’t seem to do. He’s made mistakes but I’m not yet resigned to him failing, i think he’s got a shot because I see the drive and willingness to do something differently than he did yesterday - that I also didn’t see in the last 3. I’m practically alone here, i know. Regardless, LAC does not change coaches in the first half of the season so we’ll get to see a lot more before the die is cast.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Isn't that pretty much true of any of the best offenses in the NFL?
      Bingo!

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

image.png

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

I have to chime in on this debate about Norv Turner, as while I'm not the biggest fan of his, I also know the cupboard was getting bare as early as 2008-2009. Merriman got injured and never really recovered to his former self, Cooper was limited with torn biceps, Cromartie was becoming a primadonna, LT declined from his 2007 injury and we let Turner leave, J-Wall went down and never recovered, Hardwick, Gates and Dielman also. We had Brandyn Dombrowski and Scott Mruczkowski as starters on the Oline with Clary there, not exactly a great roster. AJ was to blame for all the garbage picks, with most of the surprise overachievers coming through free agency like Antonio Garay, Alfonso Boone, Antwan Barnes and Kevin Burnett with all of them getting unceremoniously shipped out as AJ didn't want to pay them.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
            I have to chime in on this debate about Norv Turner, as while I'm not the biggest fan of his, I also know the cupboard was getting bare as early as 2008-2009. Merriman got injured and never really recovered to his former self, Cooper was limited with torn biceps, Cromartie was becoming a primadonna, J-Wall went down and never recovered, Hardwick, Gates and Dielman also. We had Brandyn Dombrowski and Scott Mruczkowski as starters on the Oline with Clary there, not exactly a great roster. AJ was to blame for all the garbage picks, with most of the surprise overachievers coming through free agency like Antonio Garay, Antwan Barnes and Kevin Burnett with all of them getting unceremoniously shipped out as AJ didn't want to pay them.
            A.J.'s picks were a lot better when Marty was the head coach. Marty, while not perfect, developed players much better than Norv did. It's ironic, since A.J. couldn't stand Marty.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

A.J.'s picks were a lot better when Marty was the head coach. Marty, while not perfect, developed players much better than Norv did. It's ironic, since A.J. couldn't stand Marty.

Yeah, Marty seemed to have some input while Norv never really had any. AJ politicked and ousted Marty, and Norv was hired to just coach whoever he was provided with.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Can we get back to firing Staley? He can be in that debate of our failed HC’s once he’s gone

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2023
                  • Send PM

I have to chime in on this debate about Norv Turner, as while I'm not the biggest fan of his, I also know the cupboard was getting bare as early as 2008-2009. Merriman got injured and never really recovered to his former self, Cooper was limited with torn biceps, Cromartie was becoming a primadonna, LT declined from his 2007 injury and we let Turner leave, J-Wall went down and never recovered, Hardwick, Gates and Dielman also. We had Brandyn Dombrowski and Scott Mruczkowski as starters on the Oline with Clary there, not exactly a great roster. AJ was to blame for all the garbage picks, with most of the surprise overachievers coming through free agency like Antonio Garay, Alfonso Boone, Antwan Barnes and Kevin Burnett with all of them getting unceremoniously shipped out as AJ didn't want to pay them.
                  Weddle and Vincent Jackson were waxing, so was Phillip Rivers .... so you have a point, but up to a limit..

A lot of those guys are Ron Rivera guys .... Burnett being the only one who left for more money.

Yes, Norv was head and shoulders above Staley.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2023
                    • Send PM

Yeah, Marty seemed to have some input while Norv never really had any. AJ politicked and ousted Marty, and Norv was hired to just coach whoever he was provided with.
                    Buster Davis was a Norv guy .... i heard it somewhere.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                      Can we get back to firing Staley? He can be in that debate of our failed HC’s once he’s gone
                      Meh,

he's pretty much floating face down in the water as far as I'm concerned.

After the Chief's game next week, I don't even think those in love with continuity will want him.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Staley's use of the word "express" really annoys the shit out of me.

Brandon Staley said his team’s inability to run the ball — 53 yards on 23 attempts, a per-carry average of 2.3 yards — permitted Dallas’ “rush to really express itself.”
                        Who talks like that?

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                          The Precious
                          • May 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          Staley's use of the word "express" really annoys the shit out of me.

Who talks like that?
                          The feelz new age bullshit wore off a while ago and this team is super soft because of it.

Comment

Working...
                          X