Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Look at the thread above yours... McCoy and Lynn were terrible just like Norv and now Staley. This team sure has gotten lucky with QB's but is snake bit when it comes to selecting a HC.

Truth of the matter is Norv's record plummeted each year Marty's team lost core players and LT left.
    Well of these four, one has to be better than the rest, and in this Norv's record and accomplishments as Chargers' head coach speak for themselves.

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AFboltfan View Post

Look at the thread above yours... McCoy and Lynn were terrible just like Norv and now Staley. This team sure has gotten lucky with QB's but is snake bit when it comes to selecting a HC.

Truth of the matter is Norv's record plummeted each year Marty's team lost core players and LT left.
      In Norv's second year before the core plummeted we won the AFC West with an 8-8 record. Norv was a great OC, but not a great HC. Already had failed in Washington and
      Oakland. Both times called out by his players. His record shows he was an average HC.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Sep 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

I take it you believe McCoy and Lynn were better head coaches than Norv?
        Tough question, I'd have to think about it.

Okay, McCoy won a playoff game with a team that Norval said was years away from the playoffs.

MIke McCoy was the best Charger head coach since Schottenheimer - almost 20 years.

How many Charger head coaches will Andy Reid meet at midfield and think "you suck!"?
        dataurl092748.jpg

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post
          MIke McCoy was the best Charger head coach since Schottenheimer - almost 20 years.
          Ok, you're on the record.

Comment

• AFboltfan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2018
            • Balboa Park bench
            • Medical Simulation
            • Send PM

Well of these four, one has to be better than the rest, and in this Norv's record and accomplishments as Chargers' head coach speak for themselves.
            Well if you must have an answer for some reason... I'd say, here is my list of cascading suckness. 1-4, 1 being best and 4 being sucks more.

1. Norv (AFCCG)
            2. McCoy (PO game)
            3. Lynn (PO game)
            4. Staley (epic PO collapse)

Norv is the best since Marty and Staley is clearly the worst (so far).

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2022
              • White Rock, BC Canada
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

In Norv's second year before the core plummeted we won the AFC West with an 8-8 record. Norv was a great OC, but not a great HC. Already had failed in Washington and
              Oakland. Both times called out by his players. His record shows he was an average HC.
              We had such a good team then. When they fired Marty, I was sooo upset they hired Norv. Felt like wasted opportunity

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2023
                • Send PM

Ok, you're on the record.
                I'm still undecided between McCoy & Lynn

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2023
                  • Send PM

Which part of Norval's Charger resume sucked the most?

His shit fight with A.J. Smith at the end was entertaining;
                  however, his comments after the home spanking by the Falcons in 2012 put him deep below the muck in my outhouse.

After the loss, a chipper Norval blathered on about how much more talented Atlanta was,
                  and how they've wed that talent with 5 years of being together.
                  It made me want to vomit on top of Norb.

Give good old Norv top talent, and 5 years to mold it together, and he'd win a playoff game again.

He's the epitome of suckiness.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Whatever your opinion, it doesn't change the fact that Norv was a better HC than McCoy and Lynn. I'm still giving Staley the benefit of the doubt. But he has to prove it this season.
                    Never said he wasn't but he still wasn't a good HC. Says alot about Deans thrifty hiring and inability to find good HCs. Should of learned from what Marty did in a short time.
                    Staley is just inexperienced and one day may be a good HC but I hate the growing pains.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Norv was 56-40 as Chargers coach. His coaching record outside of the Chargers is irrelevant. I take it you like McCarthy and Lynn better as head coaches? Because that is what firing Norv got us.
                      And again, he was handed a SB contending team. Marty and AJ built it up in 4 years and went 14-2 and Norv and AJ tore it down in 5 having predictably good seasons early.

Had he been handed a 8-8 team, he wouldn't have won crap.

Norvs Chargers record means nothing to me. He can't build a team.

As it was Norvs last season we missed the playoffs and he said this wasn't a playoff team and then, Milktoast McCoy took it to the playoffs in year 1 lol.....then he went downhill.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

The only Chargers coach besides Marty to win the division this century - three consecutive division titles
                        Won more playoff games than Marty and his three successors combined
                        Only coach this century to get the Chargers to a Championship Game
                        Holds the franchise record for the most consecutive wins in a season (11 in 2009)
                        Norv was a good coach if he has an elite roster. Most coaches are. I don’t disagree with anything you wrote. He inherited arguably the best roster in the league in a team that was 14-2 the year before. as soon as it degraded, he faded. Still SMH that Marty was fired after 14-2. Big mistake, all he needed was one more shot to get that monkey off his back
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2022
                          • Send PM

I don't like any of them, but if I had to choose I would go with Anthony Lynn.

Norv could have been our Barry Switzer in 2007, meaning our team filled with elite talent could have won the Super Bowl in spite of the coaching, but Philip Rivers, LaDainian Tomlinson, and Antonio Gates were injured in that AFC Championship Game. There's no doubt in my mind we would have beaten the Patriots in that game if all three were healthy, and I really don't think we would have had a problem with the Giants in the Super Bowl. There was no reason to go 8-8 in 2008. The winning streak to close out the year and the playoff victory over the Colts are among the fondest memories I have of this team, but I don't credit that to the Norv. To me, it was all about the players, particularly Rivers playing at a level that should have resulted in him winning the MVP award that season (of course it went to Peyton, who didn't play nearly as well that season). The 2009 season was fun during the regular season, but the whole time I was worried we were going to blow it in the playoffs, and that's what happened. After that, I was worried the Norv effect would lead us to getting progressively worse, which is what happened in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Norv was gift-wrapped the best roster this team ever had, and he didn't do anything to make it better or prevent it from deteriorating into a losing team. A.J. Smith's weird picks (trading up for Jacob Hester and reaching for Jonas Mouton stand out to me) didn't help, but there were very few players who benefited in their development through Norv's coaching.

Mike McCoy had a very good 2013, and 2014 was going well at times, but it became clear that he wasn't head-coaching material in 2015, and then it was downright embarrassing in 2016. I remember watching his press conference after our blown lead against the Saints, which I think was the fifth team meltdown that year, and it looked like he was about to cry when he said something like, "I don't know why it's happening! I have no answers!" I was in disbelief, because that is NOT what you expect from the head coach, who's supposed to lead 53 grown men.

I was very happy with Lynn in 2017 and 2018. After the 0-4 start in 2017, we went 21-7 for the rest of that season and 2018. The 2018 playoff loss to the Patriots was devastating for me, because I knew it was probably Rivers' last best chance to win a Super Bowl, but I didn't blame Lynn for that. I thought the injuries piling up at the end of the year, with Denzel Perryman standing out the most, played the biggest factor in us losing to New England. I was in denial, and that continued throughout 2019. I became completely fed up with Lynn in 2020, with his reluctance to name Justin Herbert his starter. It seemed like he would have preferred to start Tyrod Taylor even when Herbert was playing so well. That alone made me question his intelligence, and then the succession of blown leads that followed didn't help. I was done with Lynn by the middle of the 2020 season.

I started to wonder about Staley when he played an injured Herbert late in a blowout loss to the Jaguars in Week 3 of last year. I don't know why any head coach would do something that stupid, even with a quarterback who's completely healthy when you're down 38-10 late in the fourth quarter. Then there was the ridiculous decision to go for it on fourth down late in the fourth quarter against the Browns. We all know what's happened since then. He hasn't learned from his mistakes. On top of that, his defense gets its ass kicked much more than I'd like, which shouldn't happen when the head coach was hired based off of his expertise in that area. We still have 13 games left this regular season, so hopefully he will prove us all wrong.

Ranking these four coaches is painful, since there are so many bad memories, and I really can't do it in good faith because Staley isn't finished yet. On top of that I really don't know who was worse between Norv and McCoy.To sum it up, I'm not happy with any of them, but Lynn's coaching performance in 2017 and 2018 was the best we had since Marty was fired.

Comment

Working...
                          X